This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ideas for The Magician's Nephew

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Ideas for The Magician's Nephew

Postby DamselJillPole » Mar 02, 2011 9:50 pm

I really hope that they capture the world of Charn correctly in the movie. Reading about Charn was my favorite part in The Magician's Nephew how the ruined buildings had red light and was the only light because the sky was described as a very dark blue, close to black and I hope that they get this right. I thought it was very creative and shows that not every world has the same light. IDK I just loved it.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wolfloversk » Mar 02, 2011 9:55 pm

I was thinking maybe they should have Aslan (or at least Liam) humming Narnia into being rather than singing... (I would love to hear the musical score for that scene)
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby DamselJillPole » Mar 02, 2011 9:58 pm

I always imagined a breathing sound when Narnia is being created and then a roar from Aslan.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby emijoy » Mar 03, 2011 7:52 am

The Lady Arwen Undómiel wrote:How hard could it be to have at least a short flash back (or flash forward which ever you want to call it)? If you have a little girl in the same pjs, with her back to the camera, with short dark hair, and if the camera focuses more on the Professor telling the story, it should work.

That would be so neat if they did that and used CGI to make the girl's face look like Georgie's. I know it's wild, but it would be cool.
emijoy
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Eustace » Mar 03, 2011 10:38 am

If they do make MN next, the scenes they have to get right the cool creation of Narnia,the evil back story of the rings Uncle Andrew made, and the ringing of the bell in Charn, as well as the getting of the apple, and lastly but not least the giving of an apple for Digory's mum.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SilverSea » Mar 03, 2011 7:02 pm

The creation of Narnia should be the most CGI-heavy scene in the entire movie. I think we should just see the character's outlines in the pitch-blackness of the new Narnia, and slowly with the heavenly-beautiful song that plays when the sky is taking shape their bodies will start to appear. Narnia itself would be created much a like an artist painting a landscape, mountains, rivers and trees would fly in when Aslan roams across the land singing his new song. But, that's just my vision. :D
SilverSea
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bookwyrm » Mar 03, 2011 10:45 pm

I think a CGI Georgie would be terrible. I remember when they used CGI to make Ian Mckellan and Patrick Stewart look younger for X3 and it was horrible. I doubt it would look any better in MN.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby outlier » Mar 03, 2011 11:41 pm

On a *really* over simplified level I think that I just want a well-adapted movie

Bookwyrm wrote:I think a CGI Georgie would be terrible. I remember when they used CGI to make Ian Mckellan and Patrick Stewart look younger for X3 and it was horrible. I doubt it would look any better in MN.

How was the 'young' jeff bridges in Tron? I haven't seen how that turned out yet, but I heard that it was pretty creepy-good... But I think that a CGI Georgie could be worked around though to get from MN to LWW.... maybe if at the start you hear the professor narrating a letter (only we don't know that it's the professor yet) to polly about the tree being struk down, and then it cuts back to when they're young. At the end he can say that he's decided to use the wood to build a wardrobe and then show the after-credits clip
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 04, 2011 1:36 am

Bookwyrm wrote:I think a CGI Georgie would be terrible. I remember when they used CGI to make Ian Mckellan and Patrick Stewart look younger for X3 and it was horrible. I doubt it would look any better in MN.

Precisely why would a CGI Georgie even be an issue? Why make a CGI Georgie when in MN she doesn't have a direct role in much of the film anyway?

And why can't such a film as MN use footage from LWW if it is necessary to finish the film? This is the test of what is possible, since of course Fox/Walden will have to acknowledge their sources, according to copyright law, and Disney will of course be sportsmanlike enough to agree, to make subsequent Narnia films.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Tarquin » Mar 04, 2011 3:52 am

I havn't read the Magicians Nephew for a long time. I just read the Silver Chair, because I thought they were going to do that one next. LOL. I am not sure that many of us Narnia fans will be pleased with the way they adapt it. Sadly the budget of this movie, must be much higher then VDT for these scenes to achieve what we want. I will just be happy with longer, better paced movie. Also, some more attention to dialogue. Most of the scenes that are so wonderfull, are also very expensive. I see the creation of Narnia being especially expensive. Plus, you have many more CGI animals etc. Honestly, they need a budget of at least 180 million. Similar to TLWW. Thats why if they pace it well, and make it a solid good movie, I will be happy. Even if certain scenes are shortened or left out.
Tarquin
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Anfinwen » Mar 04, 2011 10:50 am

Tarquin wrote:Thats why if they pace it well, and make it a solid good movie, I will be happy.

I have to agree with Tarquin. I would rather see more attention to detail throughout the whole movie, rather than a few really expensive and most likely still messed up scenes.

Bookwyrm wrote:I think a CGI Georgie would be terrible.

I think it would be awful to have a CGI character for such a small part. Just don't show her face and leave it to the clothes and surroundings to imply who she is. This story is about the Professor, not Lucy.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Umbarto » Mar 04, 2011 11:21 am

I don't see any need to have Lucy in this movie, and especially not CGI. Just have a sequence where the wardrobe is made out of the tree and leave the rest to the LWW movie. People will understand that it's the same wardrobe and they'll also figure out that Digory and the professor are the same person.
‘Then rightly you game the name to the youngest of your children,’ said Ambarussa, ‘and Umbarto “the Fated” was its true form.’ –The Shibboleth of Fëanor.
Umbarto
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Anfinwen » Mar 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Does any one know what the other panel on the wardrobe is a picture of? I've been able to make out a bird (presumably the Phoenix), two crowns between two trees, a rising sun, a horse (presumably Fledge), a garden on top of a hill, an apple, two rings, a bell inside of an arch, the wood between the worlds with three pools (I think), and the White Witch sitting in a chair.
This is the one I can't figure out.
Attachments
338116556_fc7f30296f_2_2_2_2_2_2_2_2_2.jpg
338116556_fc7f30296f_2_2_2_2_2_2_2_2_2.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 10699 times
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ChristProclamer » Mar 12, 2011 11:54 am

You are referring to the panel below the Wood between the Worlds and above the bell, Undomiel? I think that one is supposed to be the city of Charn.

And on more thought, I agree a CGI George wouldn't be the best idea. If there is to be a flashback-thing, I'd rather see Eustace and an older Lucy than try and set it during LWW. That way there could also be a SC reference.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Anfinwen » Mar 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks, I had an Idea it might be Charn or the Valley of Narnia, but I couldn't quite tell.
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Doctor » Mar 12, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi guys,

ok, i have just finished reading The Magicians Nephew for the first time. Whilst i quite enjoyed the book, here are my immediate thoughts on transition to film

1. The delay in a official greenlight may well be down to trying to get Tilda Swinton & Jim Broadbent to reprise their roles. I think its really important they get both these actors back in. Having Jimmy Broadbent chopping down the apple tree and building the wardrobe at the end of the film will tie in beautifuly with TLTWW.

2. Jadis story of the downfall of charn should be the darksest scene in the film. It really should push the boundary as far as they can go on a kids film. (The imagery really should depict charn like hell)

3. The story is very character driven. The whole back story of Digory and his mum, the emotional dilemma set between his mission by Aslan and the witch should make for very compelling emotional drama.

4. But, (getting ready to duck the rotten tomatoes) whilst the book is nice & interesting, its not "movie spectacle" material. And, its working off the back of the last three flims, with giant sea serpents, dragons, mighty armies waging war...it WILL need some sort of major set peice in the film. something that will get bums on seats in the theater. You can keep the main elements and themes in the book intact, but the Witch alone is not a strong enough atagonist. There needs to be some sort of dilemma on epic proportions, which matches the strength of the emotional dilemma digory faces. Question is, what would that be??

Anyway, just my thoughts. Right, im gonna go read the Silver chair next...
The Doctor
NarniaWeb Newbie

PreviousNext