This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

When do you start believing?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

When do you start believing?

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 05, 2009 4:06 pm

As I was watching The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe recently I noticed that I simply tolerated the film version untill a specific point in the movie. After that point I take in the film as if I were actually seeing the real story that C. S. Lewis was describing. I take off my critical hat and start watching the movie as an audience member should: I start to believe. (Or, more accurately, I suspend my disbelief.)

For me, this point comes when the four children are sitting down to breakfast at Aslan's Camp, but I realize that you may start believing at a different point in the movie.

At what point in the movie do you start to believe?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: When do you start believing?

Postby narnian1 » Sep 05, 2009 4:52 pm

haha I like this topic,
I started to believe alot sooner than you did.
My point of believing was when Mr. Tumnus began to play a narnian lullaby, and I just re-watched the movie between last night and today.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby HappyGiant » Sep 05, 2009 5:16 pm

That's hard to remember.   ;) I think when Lucy entered narnia for the first time!
Movie Aristole-That's a touching moment in the film. I can see why.
Narnian1- I loved that part, it's so magical.
HappyGiant
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnian1 » Sep 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Happy Giant- I'll say this, your point of believing is also an excellent moment. To go from our world to a winter, in a wardrobe mind you, and seeing the lantern in a place you wouldn't think to see one. That's equally magical. I love that scene too. (That scene goes almost hand in hand with mine as they occur within the same first visit.)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby greenbird37 » Sep 05, 2009 8:39 pm

I would say when they all entered Narnia for the first time...they believed and so did I at that moment... :)
"We have nothing if not belief"
greenbird37
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aravanna » Sep 05, 2009 8:58 pm

I actually have a horrible time "suspending disbelief" for a Narnia movie because I already know and love the books so I spend the whole movie comparing the two. I honestly can't think of a point in either movie where I just starting watching and believing/watching the movie for its own sake. :ymblushing:

I remember LOVING the scene where Tumnus plays the lullaby, then Aslan roars at him, but two minutes later when he and Lucy have their conversation I "woke up" again.

Cool idea for a topic though!
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby adamie » Sep 06, 2009 1:11 am

Great topic!
I think I started believing when Lucy entered narnia. But then I started disbelieving again at the waterfall sequence. In the normal movie I start believing again when they enter Aslan's Camp, but When I watch the extended edition I start believing again when winter turns to summer. There are some beautiful shots that they left out of the movie there.
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Jill_of_Narnia » Sep 06, 2009 7:49 am

Nice topic!
I start believing when Lucy enters the spare room and then continues into the wardrobe. But off and on throughout the movie there are parts where my belief goes away and I'm just watching the movie (mainly parts that were not in the book) The scenes most vivid and magical to me were when Lucy enters the wardrobe through tea with Tumnus and the coronation.
"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended:this is the morning."
     And as He spoke, He no longer looked to them like a lion.
Jill_of_Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby hyaline12 » Sep 06, 2009 3:36 pm

for me, it was when Lucy walked into the spare room, and the music fades out, and she walks to the wardrobe. that whole scene is probably my favourite out of both movies.
hyaline12
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby mm1991 » Sep 07, 2009 5:55 am

Um, after the previews? ;)
I try to "take off my critical hat" from beginning to end for a first viewing, but obviously, there are just some things that will stick out as horrendous or just not right.
As for believing it, I wouldn't say there's a defining moment for me, it's more of a slow progression.
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ALittleMoreSonic » Sep 07, 2009 8:49 am

My 'belief moment' is exactly what hyaline12's is, when the music goes dead as Lucy steps into the spare room. :)
ALittleMoreSonic
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Malfhok » Sep 07, 2009 9:51 am

I start believing the minute the Disney DVD logo goes away. Even the credits during the train ride can't make me disbelieve. But I tend to watch all movies that way.
Malfhok
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Narnia4Ever9 » Sep 07, 2009 2:50 pm

The first time I watched the movie, I was comparing the whole time with the book in my head because I like to find differences. Now when I watch it, I start believing when the song starts playing after the Pevensies board the train. To me, the song brings shivers down my spine and makes me think of Narnia. From then on, I am totally absorbed in the movie.
~Narnia4Ever

Av. by Lucy P. & Sig by Flambeau
Thank you both!!
Narnia4Ever9
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby greenbird37 » Sep 07, 2009 8:52 pm

That is so true, that song is the beginning of a new adventure for all of them. Their journey finally begins...very nice!
"We have nothing if not belief"
greenbird37
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby malkah » Sep 07, 2009 9:34 pm

With most movies, I don't usually have a problem "believing" in the story. My mark of a good movie is one I'm still believing in long after the credits roll. ;)
I liked LWW from the beginning, but the greatest moment for me was when Lucy pulled the sheet off the wardrobe, and I saw the story of MN carved into the panels. The movie become Narnia to me from then on.
the light after the storm
shows that hope was never gone

Snow After Fire graphics
malkah
Moderator Emeritus
The Invincible One

Postby Lava » Sep 07, 2009 10:23 pm

I start really believing that it is really Narnia when Tumnus starts the lullaby, but when I get to the Beaver's House in the movie it kind becomes less believable. I don't start believing again until (in the extended edition) they are walking toward Aslan's camp in the magical spring. I have a hard time again just for the one line of Aslan's where he talks about Beaver telling him that they were going to make him into a hat. The other time when I waver is Aslan saying that if the witch knew the true meaning of sacrifice she would have read the Deep Magic differently (instead of talking about the Deeper Magic).
I is Lava, how I got that name is a long story, but I is Lava

Lava
NarniaWeb Regular

Next