This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

VDT - Changes and Fears

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

VDT - Changes and Fears

Postby Hefziba » Sep 04, 2009 9:52 am

We've heard some news with pieces of information about what will be different in the movie. Some of us are "a little" concerned too. So, what are your big fears about this film? I don't mean exactly about how much money the movie will earn, but the changes, what could be added or removed from the original story.

What bad things you think that could happen?

PS.: Sorry for my bad English. Mods, feel free to correct the text.
Hefziba
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: VDT - Changes and Fears

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Sep 04, 2009 10:25 am

Okay here's my list.

1. Turn the movie into an action film rather than one about discovery and adventure.

2. Mess with the spiritual themes that are found in the book.

3. Changing the purpose of the voyage.
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Sep 04, 2009 10:35 am

Besides the ones that FriendofNarnia2 mentioned. I am worried they will leave out the part where Lucy gives into the temptation to say the eavesdropping spell.
P.S. My first post on the new NarniaWeb. :)
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Gertrude » Sep 04, 2009 12:33 pm

Like FriendofNarnia2, I'm just hoping they don't change the initial purpose of the voyage. I'm hoping Doug Gresham will do his job of keeping the right focus.
All hail Gertrude, the Narnian Centaur!
Gertrude
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby twinimage » Sep 04, 2009 2:17 pm

My greatest fear? The domino effect! It happened in PC. They made so many "necessary" changes. I hope the changes and/or additions to the movie don't cause a whole slew of bad changes.
It's kind of funny, we fear change so much (and rightly so) but I wonder if anyone consider changes/additions a good thing? What if they change something that actually adds the the theme of the book?

....ROFLOL, like that would happen. Hollywood's not that good at stuff like that. I'm starting to get concerned they're adding unnecessary battles, but still being optimistic about this one.

- Twinimage
twinimage
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Hefziba » Sep 04, 2009 3:36 pm

One of my fears is that part from the synopsis about them facing dragons (!).

And I really, really, REALLY want to see the final of the story just like it is. I'm a little concerned about this. Maybe they'll change that key quote "I have another name" into something more subtle.
Hefziba
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby KingofKings'Daughter » Sep 04, 2009 3:56 pm

I fear that they'll add tension or arguments between Caspian and the Pevensies like PC...I don't know about Eustace. The only time they argue majorly is when Caspian wants to go to Aslan's country. I agree with you twinimage. :(
KingofKings'Daughter
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby icarus » Sep 04, 2009 4:05 pm

Most of the big fears i had regarding changes have already been confirmed, or near-confirmed, as going ahead - Creatures on the Crew, Added Battles, and Added Plot (unfathomable fate etc).

One of the few remaining fears i have is that they will mess with the distinct character-like qualities of the individual islands, by messing about with the order and/or combining/removing some. I could tolerate a certain amount of rejigging the order, but combining/removing islands would be an "unfathomable" disaster in my opinion.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Farsight1 » Sep 04, 2009 7:05 pm

Fears:
- Humor, jokes and wisecracks;
- Battles or romance inserted where they don't exist;
- Purpose of the journey is changed.
Farsight1
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Conina » Sep 04, 2009 10:08 pm

I'm afraid of them having Edmund not be excited to go back to Narnia. I'm also hoping they don't have any added tension between Caspian and Edmond. Then also I'm afraid of the general plot getting twisted into some formulaic action/fantasy rather than in ways that enhance the story. For example if Ramandu's daugther has to be rescued from something, or if they insert a villain who chases them from island to island, that would be depending too much on what has been done in the past rather than what will work here.
"Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning." -C.S. Lewis
Conina
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Laura E. A. » Sep 05, 2009 8:51 am

I think my fears are the same as all of ya'lls. I saw on another Narnia forum where someone said they hoped Edmund would'nt have any romance. I hope they don't have Caspian and Edmund fall in love with Ramandu's Daughter and get mad at each other or something.
God's hardness is kinder than the softness of man, and his compulsion is our liberation--- C.S.Lewis
Laura E. A.
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Sep 05, 2009 3:31 pm

Laura! How could you even think such thoughts! Caspian and Edmund fighting over Raman - oh I can't even bring myself to say it. That has to be the worst thing someone has mentioned yet. The scary thing is I wouldn't put it past them doing something like that.
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby adamie » Sep 06, 2009 1:39 am

1. Adding more action sequences
2. Adding a rivalry that is not mentioned in the book
3. Adding a romance that is not mentioned in the book
4. Changing the reason for the voyage
5. Changing things to make it more of a Hollywood production
6. Losing the episodic feel
7. As less references to pirates of the Caribbean as possible
(I've got nothing against pirates of the Caribbean, but that's not the way they should make a narnia movie)
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 06, 2009 2:29 am

i'm a bit concerned about the added "pitched battles" mostly because there is a lot going on in VDT already. to keep adding more stuff might unnecessarily take time away from other adventures and/or unnecessarily complicate the storyline.

i understand completely about making for interesting storytelling, specially this is a film medium where plot and characters have to be streamlined otherwise you confuse your general audience. i'm not for "dumbing down" the story, just dont overdo it either way.

if the added battles makes certain storypoints more compelling or emphasizes a lesson, like the slave trade or something, then by all means go ahead.

and at the risk of sounding shallow, but i really want Eustace the Dragon to look soooo good. i'm a big dragon fan, so i'm really looking forward to what the dragon would look like.

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.
JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Narnia4Ever9 » Sep 07, 2009 1:34 pm

I really hope they keep the end of the book, with the lamb and all of its symbolism, in the movie. I also hope that they keep each of the islands. My greatest fear is that they will delete those parts, because they are big themes of the book!

Another important part of the movie that I would like not to be changed too much is when Aslan removes Eustace's dragon scales. That scene has always been one of my favorite parts of the series! :)
~Narnia4Ever

Av. by Lucy P. & Sig by Flambeau
Thank you both!!
Narnia4Ever9
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Yes, I agree with Narnia4Ever9, I really hope they keep true to the book when it comes to the lamb and Aslan's country. Lewis was really driving some fantastic themes there and I really felt his Christianity shine, so I hope that stays there....
av / sig by me, PM if you want one
saw the movie opening weekend and cried at the end!
Jesus DIED for ME and YOU!
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Next