This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Trailer #1 Discussion

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: The Official Trailer Discussion Thread

Postby DestrierDragon » Jun 17, 2010 4:05 am

I've just got my fingers crossed there will be better trailers coming :)
I was a little disappointed, (STILL VERY EXCITED) but now a little worried....

Mostly becuase the WHITE WITCH has more screen time than MAIN CHARACTER Eustace. I was really hoping to see a good clip of him in the trailer! :-\ :-\
I REALLY hope Edmund doesn't undergo the same thing we all went through with Peter in PC...Yes, you are not a king in this world. :-s

What happened to the story line? :-o We didn't hear anything about Aslan's country, the end of the world, or the seven lords? We heard Aslan say something about adventure, but then it was all "Only you can save Narnia." here we go again with that unfathomable fate.....

However, as long as the white witch scene is only in the dark island, i am actually okay with that, becuase C.S. Lewis doesn't tell us the horrid things Edmund saw in the dark island, just that it was whatever that person feared most and had nightmares about. Seems natural for the White Witch to be there in Edmund's nightmares

I Absolutely loved the ship herself though. :ymapplause: :D #:-s Magnificent, exactly what i always hoped it would look like. I wish there had been more Caspian in the trailer, we barely saw him, another main character.
We didn't see any dragon, :| but we can assume that is a CGI shot they are still working on.

As for Susan and Peter...i don't know what to think, I suppose i'll just wait until we have better information...

Another thing...check out NARNIA.com, they have boxes with the story and character bios, those are actually very true to the book, so maybe the movie will stay true. :) :-s
FINGERS CROSSED...IT WAS JUST A TEASER :-$ AND DESPITE IT'S LACKING I STILL LOVE IT AND CANNOT WAIT EVEN MORE FOR THE MOVIE!!!
Are you a writer!? Visit my site for Christian writers, www.pensofglory.com as we share the hope we have in Christ, and change the world with words
DestrierDragon
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Bother Eustace » Jun 17, 2010 4:06 am

For my time zone, the Trailer came out at 3:00 AM last night... and though I considered it, I decided not to stay up that late to see it (that would throw my schedule today WAY off :P ) So I just now saw it.

I enjoyed seeing the trailer alot. Then again, I haven't given myself time to really find anything I dislike... I'm sort of still in "WOW, THE TRAILER IS ACTUALLY HERE!" mode. :D Although, there were a few things I noticed that didn't thrill me. First off, the Witch being here is kind of annoying... although judging from the trailer I think it's pretty obvious that she appears at Nightmare Island, which wouldn't be so bad (And hey, is that the Malevolent Mist swirling around?) I also was kind of weirded out by RD - er, Lilliandil; I mean, the glowing idea is something I can probably get used to, but it makes her just a bit inhuman. Tell ya one thing, Caspian and Lilliandil could plan their wedding for midnight on a moonless night and not have to worry about lighting torches. :|

And of course, my main concern... Why in the WORLD are Peter and Susan in the trailer? Look, we know they don't come into Narnia with the others - first off we saw the shot of Ed, Lu, and Eustace entering; secondly we'd have heard something about such a HUGE change by now - but then why are they in that shot? I'm more frustrated by the fact that the production seem to be trying to trick the audience into believing that they'll be returning in a major way than I am worried that they actually will. Seems like a huge ploy to draw in more viewers by overemphasizing some miniscule cameo - but what could the cameo be, and why are they in Narnian clothes? *sigh* Wait and see, wait and see.

Rhindon seems to be related to Sting, apparantly. I don't remember it being of Elvish make in the books... :-o but there it is, glowing blue in a very familiar way. Seems like that shot takes place at Nightmare Island, but I can't be sure.

Bill Nighy as Reepicheep is perfect, in my opinion. Sounds enough like the old Reep to keep continuity, but there is a distinct difference... which I am hoping reflects a maturation and deepening of his overall character. I LOVE the line he says during the shot of him running up the mast, something about "An extraordinary destiny..." I'd like to think that he's speaking partly about his own destiny to find the Utter East. That look of longing as he mounts the top of the mast is, in my opinion, a perfect summary of the story's main point.

I think the way the Trailer was put together could have been better. But besides that, it's still great to see it, and I'm really excited for this movie! Oh, and one more thing on a positive note: the Dawn Treader looks simply amazing!!
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnialover4 » Jun 17, 2010 4:54 am

Haha...Edmund: "Why? Do I look older?"

I like the part when they're rowing through the water with all the lilies :) It's so beautiful! Why did it start snowing in that room though? Also, it's really different seeing Lucy with a bow and arrow. The Dufflepuds are so cute!! Anyone else think Lucy and Edmund are looking more mature?
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnian1 » Jun 17, 2010 4:54 am

For my timezone it was 3am as well when the trailer released, I also wanted to but didn't think twice about NOT doing it. My sleep for work is more important, I hate to say. However I did happen to "fall awake" at 5am and figured why not? Let me see it! :D

The first one I saw wasn't in HD and it left me underwhelmed, because of the look. But in HD it looked much better! I didn't like the voice over, I don't think the first two movies had it and it was all the better. I loved the music for the first two much more as well. This one was so different.

However I saw it again at 7am after I had woken up for real, and being more awake the trailer looked tons better, *note to self, when half asleep- all things look less thrilling*

I loved the way the handled them going into Narnia, Eustace taking down the portrait was fantastic. I love when Coriakin becomes visible again. I love Jadis, knowing she's only in the one scene of course. The End of the World is fantastic, just like I pictured, I only don't understand why Caspian is there but I can live with it. Peter and Susan are the tough ones to place, I am most excited to see them return in some form, and I know they don't go on the voyage, so I trust I won't be upset at all. I won't fret. It's a trailer, not the movie itself.

I agree with some above posters, some people are being overly pessimistic- meaning no offense.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Gymfan15 » Jun 17, 2010 4:55 am

Well, what a night. :) I spent quite a bit of time following the release making caps, which is why I haven't weighed in on this thread before. Here's a few random/interesting things I noticed from the caps I made.

Lucy is using Susan's bow and arrows. Hmm. Not sure I like all this gift swapping.

Gael sighting! *headdesk*

What's blowing up behind Aslan? ;) ;))
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Sparky » Jun 17, 2010 4:59 am

*is suprised that there are five pages already and realizes he shouldn't be*
Without reading through the first five pages, some random thoughts:
It didn't really blow me away. Seemed kind of average as far as trailers go.
Kind of looks like the White Witch will just be on the Dark Island. That's encouraging.
However, It's not encouraging to see Susan and Peter. I expected to see Susan in the Magician's book, and I wouldn't have been suprised to see Peter make a cameo in our world, but in those two shots of them near the end it definitely looks like they're in Narnia. Don't know what to make of that.
And the blue glowing things and green fog look a little different. I'm trying not to judge until I know more.
Mark my words, someday I will think of something brilliant to put in my sig.
Sparky
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby starkat » Jun 17, 2010 5:01 am

Due to not being a night person, I went to bed last night instead of staying up. Sorry to miss the release.

QUestion for those saying Aslan is at the start of the journey. Other than the word "Welcome", there is no identification as to where in the movie that clip is actually placed. Just because he says "Welcome" doesn't mean that is "Welcome to the Dawn Treader." It could just as easily be "Welcome to the end of the world" or some other location. ;)

The teaser is pretty much shown out of sequence 'cause it jumps around. You can't make a judgment call based on where a scene is in the teaser.

For those who think the CGI looks rough or odd. LWW and PC teasers both looked rough compared to the final trailers. There were color and some size differences. Aslan looked different in teasers vs. trailers. That kind of thing. We shouldn't jump to conclusions. ;) Yes, all of this is the base of what we'll see in theaters, but it's not the finished product.

Now for my initial impressions...

I didn't realize I was expecting anything until I actually saw the trailer. I was expecting something a tad grittier than what we have since PC was so dark. I like the brighter feel. Much closer to LWW.

Lucy has definitely grown. Her voice has matured and she seems quite a bit more self assured.

Edmund... don't like the "King" line. But I do like the fact he was trying to sign up.

Eustace... sounds great and looks like a great fit.

I love the pulling into Narnia scene. I also like the lift to get them out of the water than the rope mentioned in the book.

Reep's voice is a tad higher, but I don't automatically think "They changed voices!"

I LOVE the magician's library and the book. The roar when the pages flip over is a nice touch.

Not sure what to think about the "dark island." I will say this, I was and still am prepared to not go if the WW shows up anywhere else but on the dark island. I think that would have gone way over the line of departing from the book if that had happened.

Ramandu's daughter... I will draw conclusions when we see more and see a more finished cgi product.

Wonder if Rhindon's glow has something to do with it being one of the seven swords. I was not surprised to not see anything much about that. It would be a plot point that they would try to hold on to a bit longer and maybe save for the actual trailer.

Love the Lily sea.

So all in all, I am still watchful and waiting to see what happens next.
starkat

Postby Bookwyrm » Jun 17, 2010 5:18 am

I don't know about everyone else, Kat, but I'm assuming that shot is from the beginning because Lucy's wearing baggy, oversized sailor clothing, which would fit with them arriving in Narnia and needing clothes to replace their wet ones. I believe in the book it was Caspian's clothes she wore.

Interesting idea about Rhindon though. It doesn't make much sense to me for it to be one of the seven swords, but the entire seven swords plot is nonsensical so that fits. ;)) And I honestly can't think of any plausible reason for it to be glowing besides that.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby starkat » Jun 17, 2010 5:24 am

Thing is, Booky, her hair's not as neat as it is in other shots. It could be an early morning shot or late evening. Lucy also looks a bit distraught so something could have happened or will happen. So there's no way to judge where that scene is in the movie. ;) I'm not saying that it isn't at the start. I'm just saying that there's not enough information there to prove it.
starkat

Postby daughter of the King » Jun 17, 2010 5:26 am

As I said on the comments, I think I'm going to cry.

Edmund is suffering from Peter syndrome! Sure, I can see Edmund wanting to enlist, BUT based on what the White Witch (who is looking rather green) says to him, he's suffering from Peter syndrome. They just killed Edmund's character.

The painting is cool.

The ship looks tacky.

The mermaid is cool.

Coriakin throwing the map is interesting.....

Ding Dong the Witch is dead! Which old witch? The White Witch! Or not.....

RD is glowing.

Where did Edmund get Sting?

Epic battle sequence! Are we excited? No.

Dufflepuds are awesome!

What is Caspian doing at the end of the world??????

Susan? Peter? I thought we said goodbye already. Oh well, nice seeing you again! Right............

Is that Dragon Island behind the logo?

Oh, and Reepicheep sounds exactly the same.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Beginte » Jun 17, 2010 5:31 am

starkat wrote:Wonder if Rhindon's glow has something to do with it being one of the seven swords. I was not surprised to not see anything much about that. It would be a plot point that they would try to hold on to a bit longer and maybe save for the actual trailer.

Well, maaaaybe Rhindon is guiding them to the seven swords... I sure hope not! That would be a tad too cheesy, not to mention the position of supernatural compass is already filled by RD.
I've seen the movie 9 times!!! (PC)
I've seen the movie 7 times!!! (VoDT) And loved it!
Proud member of the C+S club
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Dekkie » Jun 17, 2010 5:34 am

OK. I cannot even process everything right now. I’m just going to go through the trailer and post my random thoughts as I watch the trailer… again…

Looks like Ed’s pulling a Peter. “Squirt? I’m a king!” Same song, second verse. Boo.
Lucy sounds so OLD! Wow.
The transition into Narnia looks pretty neat. Like.
Oh my word. It’s the Dawn Treader. THE Dawn Treader.
Lucy and Aslan… what is this?
The new voice for Reep sounds great! At least in that one line…
Lucy waving to the mermaid… cute.
Caspian – looking good.
Is that the Dark Island?
Hello, Coriakin, cool map.
“You are all about to be tested”
EUSTACE! Wish there were more of you in the trailer!
OK. Apparently the Witch appears to Ed in the Dark Island… Gosh I hate that. I thought he’d already “defeated” her in Sorcery and Sudden Vengeance. “I can make you my king…” NO! didn’t we already do this in LWW???
Lucy… I think you’re more beautiful now than in the book. But… I do like how that scene looks.
Wow. When we heard snow, I was thinking a few flakes. But this is SNOW. This looks like such a great moment!
Reep… extraordinary destiny… more than you can imagine… Wish there were more of that then what’s coming next.
“The fate of Narnia depends on you.” ARGH! NO! WHYYYYY??
Ramandu’s Daughter – I mean Lilliandil… well, she certainly… glows. My sister said, “Who’s that weird ghost woman?”
Hang on, what’s up with the glowing sword, Edmund?! He appears to be in the Dark Island…
Lilliandil turning into star-thing… weird.
What is this? A skirmish? Lucy with arrows? What’s causing this??
“This place just gets weirder and weirder!” Hahahahahaha… love this! The Dufflepuds bouncing around Eustance… amazing! Makes me smile.
Why is Caspian in the boat with them????
And why is Reep with them on the island thing at the end of the world?
HOLD EVERTHING. Susan. Peter. In Narnian clothes. What. In. The. World.
Aaaand… the logo. Like the Dawn Treader! But it looks so… cold.
“Directed by Michael Apted.” … that sounded odd… out of place.

Final thoughts? I can’t even think right now! There’s good, there’s bad, and there’s even some ugly. One thing’s for sure – we will not run out of things to speculate, analyze, and freak out over!

P.S. Where was Gael?
"Oh telescope, keep an eye on my only hope,
Lest I blink and be swept off the narrow road.
Hercules, you've got nothing to say to me,
'Cause you're not the blinding light that I need.
For He is the saving grace of the Galaxies."
Dekkie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jun 17, 2010 5:35 am

To all of those who think the ship looks tacky or cheesy, how did you picture it? I think it looks quite fantastical but great!
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby lysander » Jun 17, 2010 5:37 am

I slept instead of staying up for the release as well.

Some thoughts, frame by frame:

:10 - wasn't the war supposed to be over by the time of VDT? They're

:17 - Georgie and Skandar look so grown-up, it's incredible! I think this trailer is focused on them because they're the characters everyone recognizes; I'm guessing we'll have another down the road that features more Eustace, Caspian, and Reepicheep. Anyway, I've always thought these two the best actors of the Pevensies, so it will be nice to see them headlining this film.

:21 - I think people are freaking out a bit much about Ed's "I'm a king!" line. I don't think he's repeating the StupidBrattyPeter act from the PC movie; rather, he's upset that he's not old enough to help, when in Narnia he always could.

:38 - the whole getting-into-Narnia scene was awesome! :ymapplause: And the ship is wonderful too.

:48 - at first I was disturbed by the fact that Aslan showed up so early, but let's remember that this is a trailer and the footage can come from much later in the movie. Still, a possible warning sign.

:52 - Yay, Reep! Possibly some of Izzard's tests from before he was let go???

1:00 - Coriakin, I assume? And the map?

1:07 - unsure about this: how many times is the WW going to show up in these movies??? It makes sense that Edmund might envision her in Dark Island, but still ...feels like they're trying to hard to work her in.

1:17 - Lucy looking into the book is, like the opening, another great-looking scene. :D

1:26 - "an extraordinary destiny"? If they just came out and said that they were sailing to the end of the world, or that they were looking for the seven Lords, my heart would rest much easier.

1:34 - "the fate of Narnia depends on you" - how???

1:37 - Oooooo glow-y sword and glow-y star girl. They're purty, but I have no idea what the heck is going on.

1:38 - I was hoping this movie wouldn't have PointlessAnnoyingUnnecessaryActionSequences a la the last two films, but I suppose the Lone Islands is as good a place as any for one. *le sigh*

1:43 - more Coriakin???

1:44 - yay, Eustace! And the Dufflepuds!

1:46 - okay, favorite shot of the trailer. The sea of lilies is just gorgeous. And just as I pictured it from the book. (I'm not sure I could say that about anything in PC ... I'm liking this movie better already.)

1:50 - I don't think the Pevensies footage is a flashback. Those look like Older!Lucy and Older!Edmund. And what's all this "your adventure begins now" crap at the very end of the world? It would be nice if he just meant that they're to have other adventures in their world, but I'm worried that they're going to throw some sort of big action sequence in here, and that they're changing the very reasons for the voyage.

So far, the movie looks beautiful, we can expect some top-notch acting from Georgie and Skandar, many of the individual "scenes" are coming out right (the picture, Lucy and the book, the dufflepuds, the sea of lilies) but whether the film-makers have got the "point" of the book is still up for grabs. We'll see.
~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~
lysander
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Bookwyrm » Jun 17, 2010 5:39 am

I have to take back my complaining about the Dawn Treader from when we first got pictures of it. It does look quite nice in the trailer, not plastic-y at all. Still not completely sold on the bright colors, but it doesn't look like a carnival ride anymore. And that sail is beautiful.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby daughter of the King » Jun 17, 2010 5:40 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:To all of those who think the ship looks tacky or cheesy, how did you picture it?

Less ornamental. There's too much stuff on it and there's too many different colors.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

PreviousNext