This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Always enough arrows for Susan....

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Always enough arrows for Susan....

Postby Bookwyrm » Oct 11, 2009 7:20 pm

Ugh, I cringed every time I saw her hitting people with her bow. There's no way she could do any damage to anyone with that and no archer would try to use their bow as a melee weapon unless they want to end up with a broken bow. And don't even get me started on her throwing arrows. :ymsick:
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby narnian_at_heart » Oct 12, 2009 8:11 am

I don't recall seeing her throw arrows but I agree that wouldn't do much damage.

Her always having enough arrows is just movie magic. It's like in the old West movies where the cowboys would never re-load their guns.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby L.M. Pevensie » Oct 12, 2009 10:35 am

Well how many arrows do we think were in Susan's quiver to begin with? I know nothing about archery but in the Ranger's Apprentice books Will always carries 24 arrows. Do we see Susan shoot more than that in one scene? :-\

If this Sig is by you please let me know, because I can't remember :-(

"I am going to live forever, or die trying!"
L.M. Pevensie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bookwyrm » Oct 12, 2009 12:46 pm

She threw arrows during the Night Raid scene. If I remember right the clip was in the trailer.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Oct 12, 2009 1:31 pm

yeah she did throw her arrows- no way they would have gone right through people's armour like that
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby decarus » Oct 12, 2009 4:17 pm

She only throws one arrow though i do agree that it would not go through the armor like that, but what can you do.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Deadman » Oct 13, 2009 2:51 am

It’s not good enough, I submit, to fall back on the easy explanation of “that is what happens in the movies.” It is a lazy, ill-considered failure of imagination on the part of filmmakers, for example, to have their bad guys shoot so poorly though heroes kill with a single shot (whilst those whom they shoot die so easily without groans or inconvenience). I'm not saying that we must view all the unpleasant details of, say, survivors in a lifeboat performing necessary but unattractive ablutions, but it would be nice to have a minimum amount of realism, without such suspension-of-disbelief-destroying moments as viewing male survivors wake mysteriously well-shaven.

If we posit a magic quiver which never empties, then why not give Susan a magic bow which kills merely by aiming it, or why not just give Susan a magic AK-47 which kills any evil-doer within sight and be done with it? An effortlessly magical solution of problems, without growth or struggle from a protagonist, constitutes a lazy avoidance of responsibility in any dramatic work.

My sons and I could not help being slightly amused but vexed by the ‘magic’ quiver, and yet a little thought on the part of the filmmakers would have made the scenes not only more believable but more meaningful. It would have been easy to show a brief glimpse of small animals doing their part in the battles by fetching more arrows for Susan, and to have had fletchers repairing and making arrows in the background of other scenes. (Similarly, I should have liked to have seen Legolas gather arrows in the LoTR films as I should have liked to have viewed just one scene wherein he re-plaited his hair as he spoke.)

By having heroes kill bad guys so easily, by having good guys travel long distances without real inconvenience, by having those whom we are meant to praise overcoming obstacles without difficulty, their achievements are actually lessened. In Lord Tweedsmuir’s classic thriller, The Thirty-Nine Steps, Hannay, the hero, occasionally falls into long funks wherein he doubts his ability to continue; such natural despond, anxiety and apprehension, however, actually make Hannay more of a hero than if he had blithely and unthinkingly rushed into heedless action. (The various filmed versions of The Thirty-Nine Steps, of course, don’t bother showing Hannay’s resolute overpowering of his fears.)

Real courage involves acting rightly and bravely despite fears, and not being rashly oblivious of dangers. I hope that I need not multiply examples from the Chronicles of Narnia wherein our heroes exhibit real bravery and grow in courage through their fears and not despite them.
Deadman
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Queen Susan » Oct 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Bookwyrm wrote:Ugh, I cringed every time I saw her hitting people with her bow. There's no way she could do any damage to anyone with that and no archer would try to use their bow as a melee weapon unless they want to end up with a broken bow. And don't even get me started on her throwing arrows. :ymsick:
Good, another person who agrees. ;)) Yep, same reaction here.

And the arrows? Yes, I also noticed that she'd magically get new ones... somehow...
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby Lady Galadriel » Oct 25, 2009 8:12 pm

I thought the arrows were computer-generated.
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lady of the Green Kirtle » Oct 29, 2009 12:13 am

I noticed that too and mentioned it to a friend when we were watching the movie. Her response was something like "well it came from Santa Claus [Father Christmas] for goodness sakes!" suggesting that Susan's seemingly endless supply of arrows may have been the result of magic. I don't know if that's what I believe but it's a thought.
That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. -Puddleglum
Lady of the Green Kirtle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby ChristProclamer » Oct 29, 2009 6:41 am

Way to go, Deadman! Except the realistic from the unreal! I'm that way.
I think it's silly to say that Susan's quiver re-fills itself (not meaning offense to any of y'all). I read this on Imdb, considered a valid theory over there, and I wanted to groan. The Father Christmas scene is very well described, and nowhere does it contain details about the quiver refilling, how many arrows before and after, how long it will take, etc. It isn't there. Period.
And she can't have just picked up any old arrow, because all of Susan's arrows are unique. They have the red feathering, the gold-lion/leaf-point, and the gold wire that binds it all together.
It's a goof. That's all. And it annoys me to no end.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby decarus » Oct 29, 2009 9:44 am

I don't really think Susan uses that many arrows. I think she just gets some more a few times like after Caspian saves her (goodness) while she is going through the How to get on top and join the archers she grabs more arrows. It is quite possible that they made Susan more arrows that were like her other arrows. If they can recreate the boys armor and create Susan's armor then they can make some similar arrows.

I agree that i am not buying the hammerspace refilling quiver either. I don't really think it is necessary to buy that either. I just don't see this as an issue.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian_Warrior » Oct 31, 2009 5:36 am

Yeah, I never really thought about it but she does use a lot. Although, in the Lord of The Rings (LOTR). Legolas doesn't refill his arrows either, but they do mention it in the book, how he hunts around for them.
Image sig by MementoMorrie
Narnian_Warrior
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous