This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

"My Pet(s)" Blog

Enjoy games and blogs with other NarniaWebbers.

Moderator: ValiantArcher

"My Pet(s)" Blog

Postby fantasia » Oct 01, 2009 10:48 am

For those of you who know me at all you'll know that I'm pretty crazy about my pets. So I thought I'd start a blog for everyone to share pictures, stories, videos, etc of their pets (past and present) and just have a place to talk about them in case people are tired of listening to you in real life. And I also thought it'd be cool if people had questions about a pet that they could ask here for advice. :) So... I'll get started.

Abi - My Egyptian goddess cat. She's about three years old. She was named after the character Abigail Chase from National Treasure because when I brought her home, she followed me around the house meowing incessently. So you know that line "She just can't shut up can she?" Yeah, that's my Abi. :))

Abi has also claimed my husband as her person. She likes me too, but she really likes him. She also LOVES to play. Paper balls are her favorite toys and she'll chase them all over the house.
She has an irresistible attraction to bags and boxes left on the floor. If you leave groceries on the floor, beware, she'll be neatly tucked away on top of your cans inside the bag. ;)

Murky - For every bit of grace and stealth and prowness Abi has, Murky doesn't. Murky is my clunky, klutzy, cuddlebug kitty. We had no intention of getting a second cat, but we found him on the side of the road at my parents-in-law's farm. He was starved and tiny for his size so we took him in for the night and called the animal shelter -- they were full. Couldn't find anyone nearby to take him so we ended up keeping him. ymwhisle Murky's name is a bit of an inside joke because unless you've played World of Warcraft, you're not gonna get it. There is a creature in the game called a Murloc that's half man and half fish and makes this weird gargling noise. The most famous Murloc in the game is called Murky. The first time we fed Murky, he was so hungry that he was trying to meow and eat at the same time and made the exact same gargling noise.

Murky is my trouble maker. He likes to say 'hi' to my friends when I'm on IM because he has a habit of walking across the keyboard at an inopportune moment, and I can't tell you how many crazy typos I've almost had show up on the news stories I post for NarniaWeb. His latest favorite thing to do is steal the drain catch out of the bathroom sink and then drop anything on the sink down the drain. (Yeah, we broke THAT habit REALLY fast... he's now banned from the bathroom.) So his official nickname is Murky Turkey and we call him Turkey more often than Murky. :P But he's also the sweetest huggiest little thing and will just lay in your arms and purr for forever.

Fiona - Fiona is my dream come true puppy. She's a big newcomer to the family as I've only had her for two weeks. I've never had a puppy before so I'm pretty excited about having her. Fiona is a Newfoundland and as I'm writing this, she's 12 weeks old and about 25lbs. When she's full grown, she'll be bigger than me. A lot of people think I'm crazy, but she's SOOO good and mellow and relaxed that she's definitely worth it as opposed to some small insane crazy puppy. ;)

We named Fiona after Princess Fiona from Shrek. She burps, farts, drools, has the hairiest upper lip ;) but she's still my little princess. We're still in the process of housetraining, but the cats (particularly Murky) are the biggest problem cause she'll squat whenever she's rejected by them :P But all in all, she's very good. She's learned sit, down, and come thus far and we're working stay... and the reason this is so impressive is cause I have no idea what I'm doing. She's smarter than me when it comes to tricks, that's for sure. :))

So anywoo... those are my "kids". They definitely keep me on my toes, but I love them to pieces.

And now it's everyone else's turn to rave about your pets that you have or had in the past. I love swapping pet stories. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: "My Pet(s)" Blog

Postby ramagut » Oct 02, 2009 11:44 am

So THIS is what you were planning!!!! I love it!!!! :D

My 'kids':

I have 4 birds, don't have any pictures of them on my computer, but I'll get some up. I have a cockatiel, a sun conure, and 2 Mustache parrots.

My cats:
D.C. (Darn Cat):
DC.jpg
DC.jpg (10.13 KiB) Viewed 21063 times

I have had DC for 11 years and got him when he was a few hours old; his mother was a stray and didn't know or want to do anything with the kittens. We bottle fed him until he was weaned. He loves my mom, other than that hates people in general and has a definite nasty side. Beautiful cat, though. Soft fur, blue eyes (not deaf because he has a little orange on his ears--the 2nd color makes him not deaf, not the fact that it's on his ears).

Figaro:
Figaro.jpg
Figaro.jpg (14.54 KiB) Viewed 21063 times

Figaro is ceppault's cat; he's 10, but still can be a playful kitten! He's 17 pounds, so he is a big boy and loves to be petted. And he gets into (literally) every box, bag, etc he can possibly fit 17 pounds in! ;)

Takiah:
Rachel and Takiah.jpg
Rachel and Takiah.jpg (13.85 KiB) Viewed 21063 times

This is my cat; I've had her 3 years. I love calico cats! She likes to be petted but only for a short time; hates to be held. She's getting grumpy! She's named after a character in Stargate SG-1 (my favorite TV show ever).

My newest additions, my dogs:
Vala:
Vala.jpg
Vala.jpg (13.36 KiB) Viewed 21063 times

This is the most precious dog a person could ever have. She's a harrier mix; not really sure what she's mixed with. I got her at the pound 1/30/09; she's about 2 years old. She doesn't bark a lot and she loves attention. She's a sweetheart! And she is a sneaky little thief sometimes, especially when it comes to chocolate chip cookies! (We have to be VERY careful); she's named after a character in Stargate SG-1, Vala Maldoran, who was a thief. Appropriate. ;)

Teyla:
Teyla.jpg
Teyla.jpg (18.82 KiB) Viewed 21063 times

Teyla is also named after a Stargate character, but Stargate Atlantis. She's 3 months old; I've had her just over a month. She's a Jack Russell Terrier. She sleeps on me and with me sometimes. We're still working on housetraining, but she has been so fun! And she follows Vala around everywhere and they love to play together!

That's my zoo...also includes a freshwater tank with some fish. I love my animals!
ramagut
Moderator Emeritus
Mumsie Mod

Postby HappyGiant » Oct 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Oh my goodness! I love all your pets, they're so adorable! Here are mine, Daisy, My Goldie Fish, and The Chickadees!
My family dog will be put down in a few weeks, but she's in a lot pain. :( She's Daisy (named after a dog my dad used to have) and about 15 in dog years. A long time for a beagle. Daisy does not like anyone under the age of 30, however. *SIGH*
Well, I have a fish, Speedy. Fish are beautiful and interesting and, if you take the time to observe them, pretty amusing. When there was other fish in the same tank he'd eat most of the food before they could get to it. Hence the name Speedy.
In fact, I have a story about Speedy. One day we went out and bought Speedy a little 'no fishing allowed' sign for his tank. :). When we first put it into the tank, he swam towords it and started nudging the fake wooden fish that was attatched to the sign.
Speedy is awesome, and I'm sure he'd agree. Unfortunetly, somethings wrong with his swimming (he swims on his side) so we feed him mashed peas.
And then, 10 female chickens who lay eggs for us are currently considered pets. When we first saw them me and my brother and sister started naming them really silly names. For example, my sister: Brownie, Suger, Cutie Pie, Honey Bunch, ect. my brother: Piggy (awful name) Pumpkin, Darth Vader (LOL.), and so and so. While I named them names such as Barbecued, Fried, Baked, Yummy, Omlet, and Delicious. Of course, I'd never dream of eating them!
BTW, you should know we can't even really tell them apart. So I don't know who's Omlet and who is Yummy.
Chickens hate water more then anything. If you've ever pointed a water hose at my chickadees, their reaction is either a) run or b) HIDE! Although I do not recomend doing this unles you are completely down and need a laugh or a chicka or chicko is hiding under your shed and won't come out.(The rooster is Chicko, boy in spanish. The girls are all Chicka, girl in spanish. I'm the only one that calls them that, however.)
LONG LIVE THE PETS!(Note this was written under the influence of a suger rush.)
HappyGiant
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PELS » Oct 02, 2009 7:01 pm

I have many stories concerning my pets. As of now, I only have one dog, a big black labradoodle. He is adorable! But... as always every animal has flaws.
Just today I was rinsing out a dirty paintbrush outside and my ridiculous (but cute) dog began licking it! I sharply yelled out "No! Stop!" But he kept right on enjoying that paint water. I grabbed his collar and tried to tie him up to a nearby rope. I could sense his anger as he rolled over on his back and began licking me. I somehow managed to get him tied up and he is still sitting outside, glaring at the door. (A few moment ago I opened the door and had an unnecessary stare off with him. Guess who won? ;) )
One of my other dogs (of whom is now gone) got sprayed by a skunk. It was a few days after that we found out that there had been signs of rabbid skunks (you could only imagine my fear)! But he didn't have rabbis, and we were all perfectly fine. :)
SO many stories I could re-tell. But I shall leave you with this.
Oh yes, the name of my beloved dog is Samwise Gamgee Jacksy. Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings and Jacksy, a nickname used on C.S. Lewis. (It's so odd, my dog is really a faithful friend, like Sam from LotR. :) )
Avvy by Kate

"Argue against God & you argue against the power that makes you able to argue at all." -C.S. Lewis
PELS
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby cuppycakesrach » Oct 02, 2009 7:57 pm

so I have four dogs .. Little Bear .. a pomapoo, Darla... a pug, cocoa.. a mini poodle, and daisy.. somekinda mix lol.

wow I have soooo many funny sotries about these dogs. * laughs* wel heres just a couple funny ones.so last winter we woke up one day and it was really icy outside and our front porch has these steps going down to the walk and then beside the walk is this HUGE tree that is always full of squirrels .. well little bear is a well renowned squirrel chaser she chases them ever chance she gets lol. so my dad opens the door that morning to see what it looked like out side and little bear just come running by him as fast as she can whining and barking at the squirrels lol and she took off on the porch she gets a few steps on the porch and just starts sliding and slides all the way down the stairs and just got back up and ran to the tree and stood at the bottom of it barking.. oh soo funny that dog.
i have more stories .. i'll share them later.
" We have nothing if not belief"
cuppycakesrach
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby MissAravis » Oct 02, 2009 8:51 pm

Wow, you guys all have a lot of pets! ;)) fantasia_kitty, your dog is so adorable and fluffy! Aaawwww!

Here is my 4-year old yorkie named Einstein :)
He's so spoiled... lol. He's kind of a weird dog, because whenever I take him on walks, he stops every like, 1 yard. And I have a hard time not dragging him. :P He's pretty shy and is afraid of other dogs a lot of the time :(, unless they're really sweet.
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fantasia » Oct 05, 2009 7:30 am

@HappyGiant, I love the fact that your brother named a chicken Darth Vader. :)) Too funny.
@PELS, isn't it amazing what dogs can eat/drink and totally not be affected by it? Oh, and we have a couple farm dogs that get sprayed by skunks waaay too often. You'd think they'd learn their lesson but NOOOOOO.
@cuppycakesrach, I don't know if you've seen the movie Up or not, but I was reading your blog and all I could think about was "Squirrel!" (If you haven't seen the movie, you should. It comes out on DVD and Blu-ray in the near future)
@MissAravis, I think it's impossible not to spoil pets. It's just that some are more spoiled than others. :P

So my Murky Turkey has an unhealthy obsession with my printer. He's figured out that if he steps on the buttons, sometimes it will start making noises. Most of the time, he just manages to turn it on and off (which he's done about four times this morning already), but every once in a while he'll hit the scan button and it will shoot out paper. :P
His other favorite trick (and I think this is revenge for me getting a dog), is he'll pull the drain catch out of the sink and drop it on the floor. It makes a lovely clanging noise. And then he'll find things laying around on the counter and drop them down the sink. :-o X( So I've had to fish my tweezers out before....
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby HappyGiant » Oct 05, 2009 2:02 pm

rofl, Murky Turkey is a trouble maker. ;)
HappyGiant
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby winterlife » Oct 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Ok, I can't stay out of here any longer! (I found it the day it was started.)
Currently, my only pets are gerbil brothers, Blackie and Joe. I would post pics, but Joe loves to hide, and Blackie rairly stops moving. :p To give you an idea of Blackie's personality, his personality is the same as his name matches his color. Yup, he's basically white (although is you ask my sister, "Skippy and MissJiff (his parents) did not have the genetics for white offspring. He's light dove." ;) ) My sister used to breed gerbils. All fourteen of our gerbils are related. ;))
My sister also has an adorable dog, and since she is not a NarniaWeb member, I'll just have to tell you about him myself. ;) He's a 110 pound three year old Yellow Labrador Retriever.

Isn't he cute? His name is Gabe. Well, actually, Gabe is short for Gabriel, and his full name is Gabriel Lincoln ****** (last name not available ;) ).
He got his full name because I called him "Gabe Lincoln." ;))
I have many Gabe stories, but I have to go for now.

Edit: The dog in the background of the picture is my friend's dog, Tishna. She's Gabe's best friend, and we were taking care of her while her owners were out comercial fishing. (Yes, I know interesting people.)
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
NWtwin:Sleepwalking NWsibs:8
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Oct 07, 2009 12:43 pm

@Happy Giant, oh yes... he is.
@winterlife, it's totally cool to post family pets hehe. I figure one of these days the pet "cousins" will make it on here in my posts too. ;)

So today I took Fiona with me to the bank. I'm trying to get her used to riding in the back seat without me (she's not allowed in the front seat). The bank teller gave her a milkbone. I'm like, "so where's my treat? I bank here!" Sheesh....

:))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ramagut » Oct 08, 2009 8:22 am

FK: LOL!!

A couple of days ago, my puppy brought me a gift: a dead finch. She was so pleased with herself!

"When a cat (or dog in this case) brings you a dead, smelly thing; it's a sign of affection you twit." --Garfield.
ramagut
Moderator Emeritus
Mumsie Mod

Postby Horse_Lover » Oct 09, 2009 6:48 am

I have a goat named Lucy(from, can you geuss, Narnia :p ), and a cat named Carina. I call her mine because she's like a one person cat and that one person happens to be me. And she's pretty she of my two little brothers, and my big brother, because they are always trying to hurt her. X(
But I love her. :)

EDIT: my pics aren't behaving at the moment. X(
Nweb twin to ValiantPrincess, and Nweb sis to elvenbug
Proud member of the 10th Avenue North club!
Horse_Lover
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Oct 09, 2009 1:39 pm

I don't know how much people know about Newfoundlands, but they're a water dog. (Bred in Newfoundland to help fisherman.)

We bought Fiona a puppy pool after we got her and she loves it. Course the downside is that after I let her outside, she'll run, jump in, gulp a bunch of water, and then decide that I must want lots of hugs and kisses. I'm currently rather wet, and it's 45F outside. brrrr.....

(This pic was taken of her with her brother before I got her)

In other news, Murky the fly-killer is stalking a fly in the basement. Go Murky!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ramagut » Oct 11, 2009 9:27 am

FK: You're going to have to put in a full size pool just for her when she's grown!! ;)
ramagut
Moderator Emeritus
Mumsie Mod

Postby narnian_at_heart » Oct 12, 2009 8:29 am

Ok, Tishna (the dog in the background of winterlife's picture) is my families dog. She's the best dog in the world and although she's half Gabe's size, she beats him up when they play fight. Whenever the dogs are being fed together, they have to be seperated because Tishna will inhale her food and then go over and steal Gabe's.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby winterlife » Oct 12, 2009 8:50 am

That's becaus Gabe is a sweetheart and wouldn't dream of hurting anyone. (Except for this one time, when Tishna bit him a little too hard...)
In case it isn't obvious, both narnian_at_heart and I argue about whose dog is better. (Gabe is cuter any day.)
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
NWtwin:Sleepwalking NWsibs:8
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Next