This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Flash Fiction Follow-Up: Ideas, Observations, & Feedback

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Flash Fiction Follow-Up: Ideas, Observations, & Feedback

Postby Hugh Hologram » Mar 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Greetings, residents and visitors!

Well, that was an exciting Inn. I hope you did all have fun! Whether you did or you didn't, we the hosts would love to hear from you. Since the town is still undergoing renovations, any input you might have (positive or negative!) will help shape the town's future, and will find it's way down to the surveyor's office, I'm sure.

While this thread is in no way limited to the following questions, here are a few things to get you started:

1. What did you think of the length? Should the Inn have been left open longer? Or was it too long?

2. Should feedback be given in the same thread, or should a separate thread be opened for feedback?

3. Was the word count limit too low? Too high? Just right?

4. Was the challenge worth your time? How often would you like to see challenges like this?

Feel free to also carry over any feedback conversations to this thread! If you are commenting on a particular story, please remember to label it appropriately!

Hugh
~ Read the Ditto Town Frequently Asked Questions ~
Hugh Hologram
Ditto Town Host

Re: Flash Fiction Follow-Up: Ideas, Observations, & Feedback

Postby stargazer » Mar 12, 2018 5:27 pm

1. What did you think of the length? Should the Inn have been left open longer? Or was it too long?

I think the length was about right. Too long, and people might delay posting their work; too short, and they might not have enough time to finish it.

2. Should feedback be given in the same thread, or should a separate thread be opened for feedback?

I liked it being in the same thread; having the feedback labeled by story made things easy to keep track of. In the event of a really busy challenge, we could consider a separate thread for feedback.

3. Was the word count limit too low? Too high? Just right?

I'm a little torn on this. Our discussion in the feedback indicated it is shorter than some of us are used to, making shortcuts necessary in the stories. A shorter story is helpful in that it challenges me to be more descriptive in fewer words, but a slightly higher limit might allow for a little more development. Perhaps 1500 words could be tried next time.

4. Was the challenge worth your time? How often would you like to see challenges like this?

Absolutely! I had fun writing my story and definitely enjoyed the contributions of others. Perhaps each 3 months might be a good timeline for setting a new challenge.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Re: Flash Fiction Follow-Up: Ideas, Observations, & Feedback

Postby Shawna » Apr 18, 2018 5:34 am

1. I thought the length was fine. I sometimes forget to come on here for a while, and I happened to see this only just before it closed. I think a month would probably be a good length of time.

2. I think the same thread worked.

3. It might be better to have a min-max spread instead of a single target goal, like say 500-1,500 words. So people don't feel the need to pad if their story is short, and the upper limit would give a little more room for those who come up with a slightly longer story. (Actually, I think the max should be a recommendation but not requirement. It sounded like at least one person had a different vision for their story originally and changed it purely because of length, and I kinda would have liked to see the original version.)

4. Sure. Didn't take me that long. I think even once a month could work.
author webpage: http://shawnacanon.com
Shawna
NarniaWeb Fanatic