This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Featured Roleplay: Vayond: The Shadowed Hunters

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Featured Roleplay: Vayond: The Shadowed Hunters

Postby lover of narnia » Jun 15, 2011 10:41 am

Susanne thought the place they had stopped to rest for the night was beautiful. Again it made her grateful for a guide, and her skills in the forest regions of Vayond. Even if the clearing, with the soft swaying grass, was not as serene and magical, she would have appreciated it as a place to sleep after an exhausting day.

The meal was not lavish, but it was something, and you grew to like the tough pieces of cooked venison, especially if you had experienced half starving before. After their simple dinner, Susanne found herself seated on the blades of green grass beside Micah, with the blanket wrapped around herself. The warmth of the flame was sufficient, but the woolen fabric pressed against her skin brought a sense of home and security; something she longed to have truly once again.

She looked up at Micah as he asked her a question, and she cracked a smile, her tired eyes going up to meet his. "What would you like to know?" she sighed, not sadly, but in a reminiscing sort of fashion. "I'm afraid my life is quite a mix of sad, happy, and embarrassing tales, just like everyone else's." She brought her knees to her chest, and gazed into the fire. "I was raised by my uncle; at his house in the meadows outside of a village. It wasn't a fancy upbringing, but I was never left to be hungry, and he was kind to me. " she plucked a few pieces of grass. "When I grew older I....I moved away. Because my uncle was aged, and I was afraid I was hindering his chances of every marrying. After I left him though, I always felt like I had a shadow constantly watching me. Looking over my shoulder at everything I did, and anywhere I went. I worked at an inn for some time." She bit her lip, remembering back on things not so long ago, but seemed so far away because of her ordeal. "I must have done that for a year, maybe two. And then, one day, I was attacked. I managed to escape whatever it was, and hide in the inn, but the manager didn't want anything of me if I had someone out to kill me. So he made me leave...." she looked at his hand which was pressed to the ground beside him. "And I think you know from there."

Loyal supporter of Caspian/Susan.
NW Family: Aunty Vi, LadyC, Rose, Chloe
Secret Order of the Swoosh.
Keeper of the Secret Magic
L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Bother Eustace » Jun 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Micah listened intently as Susanne shared the story of her life. He couldn't help wondering why the Hunters would be after such an innocent and helpless young woman. What did she ever do, to deserve her whole life being turned upside down like this? When she finished, he gave her a friendly smile. "Yes, from there it's been nothing but bandits, murderers, and cold nights." He meant it as a joke, but it was too true to be funny. "I have to say, you've taken it all so well considering the hardships. I mean, I haven't heard you complain once. Not all of us are so patient through it all."
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby lover of narnia » Jun 19, 2011 11:39 pm

"I figured that griping wouldn't change anything." Susanne said softly. "It couldn't help my circumstances and once I was rescued by you, I was too thankful to complain. At least I had some friends." She sighed, wearily, feeling her blue eyes flutter with exhaustion. Various things had made previous nights of sleep broken, and she hoped this night would be different.

Her head drooped slightly as silence took the group again, and the flames continued to warm and dance. They were strangely intoxicating...lulling you into peace. Susanne covered a small yawn, and leaned her head on her right arm, supporting it while still looking fixedly at the fire. She sleepily thought about everything that had happened, and how lucky she was to have been sheltered by those who sat around her. She bit her lip, trying to stay awake, despite the deepening darkness and the pull to slumber. With a final sigh her head slipped off her arm and dropped soundlessly to rest on Micah's shoulder.

L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Bother Eustace » Jun 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Micah was staring dismally into the fire amid the quiet group, wondering uselessly what the future held for them, when he felt Susanne's head fall softly onto his shoulder. He glanced down at her; her eyes were shut tight with weariness, and the slow cadence of her breaths suggested she was asleep. Her face looked so peaceful and beautiful in the dancing firelight, framed by the gentle flow of her soft hair.

He gently put his arm around her, lifting the blanket back into place from where it had slipped off her shoulder. He guessed the others were probably watching, but he didn't care. He sighed contentedly as he realized; despite all the terrible circumstances of the past week, he wouldn't trade any of it if it meant he would never meet Susanne. He still had no idea what the future would bring, but it didn't seem so hopeless. Being near her, to keep her from danger, was all he wanted or needed now. A faint smile spread on his face, as he found new resolve and purpose in this single realization: he loved Susanne.

"Rest well," he whispered into her dreams, and held her tight.
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Lady Shyanne

Postby Chloë Máiréad » Jun 23, 2011 2:53 pm

A yawn escaped Shyanne's lips as she gazed into the fire. She was exhausted, but sleep wouldn't come. Not even the rippling flames could lull her to sleep.

She sat upright, her legs pulled close to her chest and her arms wrapped around them. The cloak that Evewen had given her was meticulously arranged around her, to block out the cold night air. The hood was up, obscuring her delicate features.

However, despite her masked appearance, she could see everything and everyone around her.

Silence engulfed the entire group as they bedded down for the night. Even Telwyn was silent for the time being.

She heard Micah speak quietly and she glanced up. Her eyes widened at the sight and her chest tightened. There, directly across the fire, Micah sat with his arm around Susanne as she slept, her head peacefully cradled on Micah's shoulder. Shyanne took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. How could this be? she thought frantically.

All that she had hoped and longed for for years, now seemed ridiculous and impossible at this point in time. Why hadn't she seen it sooner?

Shyanne frowned, closed her eyes and wished sleep would come quickly.
"No one's ever burned you, nothing's ever left you scarred and even though you want to, just try to never grow up." -Taylor Swift, Never Grow Up
Chloë Máiréad
NarniaWeb Junkie

Callan Smith

Postby MountainFireflower » Jun 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Earlier that day...

Callan Smith's job was to clean up the messes that often happened in a place like a livery. To say that the dirty work was left to him could be an accurate statement, but he was an apprentice. And apparently, that was what apprentices did.

It wasn't that he minded it, because he didn't. At all. In fact, he had chosen his trade with a clear head, a clean conscience, and dirty boots. Many people didn't understand why the son of a blacksmith would stoop to working at the livery. The truth was, Callan loved it. He had always loved working with horses, and blacksmithing had never appealed to him, despite his father's profession. So it was that Callan decided to apprentice at the livery, and most days, he never looked back. Even if it meant that he got cleaning-the-stalls duty more often than not.

He wrapped his fingers around the rough wooden handle of the pitchfork and lifted another scoop into the small wooden wheelbarrow next to him. "That should do it," he mumbled to himself, propping the pitchfork against the wall. He dusted off his hands, stepping back to admire his finished work. Not that he was done, of course--he still had ten more stalls to clean. Before he could do that, though, he had to dispose of the manure and soiled hay that had already accumulated from the first ten stalls.

He took a quick swig of water, then picked up the handles of the wheelbarrow and rolled it out of the barn to the compost heap.

"Callan!" A familiar voice called to him as he dumped the load.

"Yes, sir?" He nodded in respect to Mr. Fabian, his kind but strict employer, who was standing about ten feet away talking to a customer.

"Please take this horse to the stables and brush him down." Mr. Fabian gestured to a nearby mare--not an uncommon sight in Callan's world.

He nodded again, this time in obedience. "Yes, sir."
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lady Courage » Jul 02, 2011 3:11 pm

Grace trembled, staring into Liam's eyes, pulling back further and clutching the blanket as though it could protect her. How? Why? Why? Why? "W- why'd you have to do that?" she finally managed to choke out, her voice a little shaky. "You- you're an outlaw! And now I am too!! You spend your life on the run and now you've dragged me into that lifestyle as well! You- you-!" She lost her voice at that point and one little tear wrote a line down her dirty, blood spattered cheek.

------------------------------------

Telwyn raised her eyes from the wavering flame and looked at Micah. A strange expression flickered across her face, but the next instant it was swallowed up by a huge grin and silent laughter. She stood, laughing, and gazed down at the slumbering girl on Micah's shoulder.
"Well," she murmured, switching her gaze from Susanne to Micah, "I suppose you're a little busy just now. I have to go cover our trail. Want to wake her and come with me?" She raised an eyebrow somewhat challengingly, that strangely mischievous glint in her bright eyes.
Sig by me | Av by Ithilwen
There is no such thing as a Painless Lesson
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Vayond: Liam

Postby lover of narnia » Jul 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Liam should have expected this. He should have known that what he had thrust Grace into would be hard for her to accept. But for some odd reason, as she burst out at him, he felt a cold shot of ice run down his heart. He sighed, eye lids pressing closed, biting his lip, as he knelt down beside her on the ground. "Grace, listen, I'm sorry." he said softly, "I should have told you who I was in the first place. I should have left your town sooner. There are a lot of things I should have done." he ran a hand down his face. "But I can't take it all back down, and I wouldn't want to, because I wouldn't have met you."

He took a deep breath, and reached out, wiping the tear from her dirty cheek with his thumb. "Grace, I'm the Prince of Vayond." his head fell as he made the confession, and stared at the ground. I'm so sorry..... he thought.

L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Courage » Jul 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Grace jerked backwards as though Liam's finger had stung her. That... That couldn't be true. Prince of Vayond!? She knew he was a desperate character, but this-... This was a bit much.

Slowly, she got to her feet, fire zipping up her side and back as she felt a trickle of warm blood begin to ooze out of the wounds. For a moment, she stared down at him, her face twisted into a grimace of internal pain, lower lip trembling. "How could you?" she whispered, "How could you just waltz in and toy with my heart so cavalierly? How could you try to tell me that you don't regret all this just so you could meet me? How can you possibly think that I could believe that you care for me now? And how could you expect me to believe something like that that is so-... So-...!" She couldn't find the right word to describe it, so bit her lower lip to hold back the tears, then turned her back on him and walked away, holding the blanket tight around her and nestling her head in the coarse fabric.
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Postby Bother Eustace » Jul 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Micah gave her a steady glance, disliking her laughing tease but not apologetic. "I think you can handle it yourself, Telwyn," he answered evenly, and gave a gesturing nod towards the wood. "Just don't get yourself lost." That small prompting somewhere deep within that had kept him suspicious of her this whole time spoke up once again, suggesting he shouldn't let her take off on her own, but he ignored it. At the moment, all the cares and worries of their predicament had been set aside, and he was content to sit here, with Susanne. He wasn't going to let Telwyn ruin that.

Micah sat by the fire for a while longer, thinking of almost nothing, simply enjoying the temporary peace that would surely be gone by morning, when the worries of the real world returned. He glanced down at Susanne, still slumbering peacefully, a faint smile proving that she too was free of worries for the moment. He gently slid his arm behind her back and let her lie down in the soft grass, then lifted the blanket over her delicately. He moved a few yards away to his own spot and lay down for the night, falling promptly asleep.
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Vayond: Liam

Postby lover of narnia » Jul 02, 2011 6:54 pm

"Grace...please..." Liam pleaded, eyes stinging harshly with tears. He stood slowly as she walked away, not believing what he had just heard. Barely being able to stomach the fact that everything had just seemed to fall apart. He felt like he had been slapped across the face. Or worse...had a dagger dug straight into his heart. And the most terrible part was - she was right. How could he? What right did he have!? Why had he? Why had he done what he had done? He had thought it the right thing to quietly pursue that small aching in his heart whenever he was around her...he had thought it the only thing to do when she had been captured was to rescue her.

But no, she was right. He shouldn't wish this all to happen to her just so he could meet her. That was selfish, and went against all the things Stendar had raised him in. He sucked in a pained breath, not daring to look at Grace's back. A tear, lonely, salty, wet, rolled down his cheek and he left it fall. It would be the first time he cried in years. "You're right." he whispered, just loud enough for her to hear.

He turned around, staring off into the forest, eyes flicking as Stendar silently came back into the camp site, holding wood. His mentor opened his mouth but saw Liam's miserable expression and snapped his jaw shut.

You're right Grace. I had no right. None. Liam thought as he shook his head in Stendar's direction, and sat back down, facing the fire. But I am the Prince/ If anything I've ever said to you is true it's that.... he took a breath and closed his eyes, wondering how this would end.

L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Callan Smith

Postby MountainFireflower » Jul 03, 2011 12:31 pm

After stabling the customer's mare, Callan finished mucking out the rest of the stalls. He rapped on the door frame of Mr. Fabian's back office, poking his curly head in. "I'm finished with today's work."

Mr. Fabian pushed his glasses up his nose, looking up from the paper he was reading. "Huh? Oh, right. You can go home now."

Callan nodded with a smile. "Thank you."

Twenty minutes later, after a long walk from the livery to his house, Callan's boots pounded against the wooden steps of his porch as he barged into the house.

"Father?" He called. "I'm home!"
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Liam, Stendar

Postby lover of narnia » Jul 19, 2011 12:29 am

Stendar just stood, slightly perplexed, but more concerned than anything. It appeared that something had gone quite wrong. Liam's expression of total rejection was clear. He sighed, audibly, and tossed the few sticks he carried back into the brush.

His young friend was in love...and on top of that now upset. Grace, by the looks of it, had shunned him for whatever reason. Stendar was not unaccustomed to the ways of a woman's heart, but that didn't mean he liked them. It was possible for lovers to destroy themselves. And if he didn't do some sort of prodding, he wasn't sure where this would end. They could stay like this all day! And I won't hear of that

"Now boy." Stendar said quietly, moving forward and putting a firm hand on Liam's shoulder. "Love is a very interesting thing..." When Liam didn't even move he sighed. "Sulking will do you no good, you know this. Now, we must move on." he glanced around the clearing. "Staying here any longer will not do any of us any good. The guards are surely searching, and we aren't far enough away from the castle. Plus, if you don't move now you'll be sitting there all day!"

Liam's blue eyes shifted to look at his mentor. There was a spark of disgust in them, but more of a look of mutual consent. Stendar surely knew best. He clenched his jaw and stood, holding a breath for a moment. His hair fell into his vision and he tossed it aside. He wanted to slap himself. He had done everything wrong in this situation....and now what was he doing? Sitting around and feeling sorry for himself. It was Grace he need to feel bad for. He had hurt her. He felt Stendar's gaze upon him. He sighed.

He couldn't stay like this...not even for a short while longer. Pitying himself would get him no where. Right now, his best bet was to listen to Stendar, and respect Grace. Keep his distance, don't intrude upon her or press her, and keep her out of danger. Her life mattered now more than his, whether he was the prince or not. He loved her, and though he felt like he had been back-handed, he wasn't going to fore-sake those feelings. He finally met Stendar's look, and he attempted a small upturn of his lips. "Yeah...we should move out."

"Now that's more like it." The older man glanced at Grace's back. He hushed his voice, "You realize she'll have to ride with one of us."

Liam winced. He had known. But only now was he realizing how much of a problem it was going to be, "Yes....I know." he swallowed. "She won't want to ride with me Stendar, and I do not want to upset her more by forcing her to do so." he chanced a look at her, and stared, for almost too long at her golden hair. "I can take the supplies on my horse, and then she can ride with you."

"Alright. I think that should work. But we might need to alternate."

"We'll see about that." Liam mumbled, moving aside, bending down and rolling up his little-used bed roll. If only she had seen him; sitting up almost all night, worried sick over her. Those thoughts will do me no good now. What's done is done. I have to take what's left of us and try to not let that shatter. I'm going to protect her. She's not more important then I. I'm going to have to prove to her she can trust me...oh, by Telran, how I'm I gonna do that!? I'm an out-law...

He grabbed up the blanket and went to his horse tying it on. Meanwhile, Stendar approached Grace. "Miss Grace, I'm sorry, but we have to break up camp and move. We are much too close to Dravon, still, and if the king has men out looking we might be spotted. We'll try to get your - er - injuries healed in the next village. And, I'm afraid you'll have to ride with one of us."

The forge was right off of Callan's house. The sound of clanking could be heard, as his blacksmith Father was working. Farlan heard the door slam though, and set down his tongs with a weary sigh, flipping back a curtain that was from the back of the forge into the front room of his home. "Hello Callan." he pulled off some leather gloves. "How were the horses, today?" he asked, eyes looking at his son almost sternly, a little contempt in his voice.

L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Isla

Postby Chloë Máiréad » Jul 24, 2011 12:34 pm

The sun was shining and in a few hours, it would reach its highest peak. Isla turned to look at Falcon and noticed he was falling behind a little. She was walking too fast and it was obvious Falcon didn't want to leave his home.

"Falcon, my friend," Isla said, backtracking. "If you don't want to leave, I can continue by myself. I can get a horse from the livery and double my traveling speed."

Falcon shook his head. "I'm worried about you, Isla. You're a stubborn woman and you act without thinking. I'm afraid you'll get into more trouble than all this is worth."

Isla frowned. "I need to know the answers and this journey will supply them." She motioned to the way they had come. "Please, allow me to go with your blessing and you may remain home, where you belong."

Falcon took a few moments of thought, but he finally nodded. "You have my blessing. Find your answers, but know that you are always welcome home again."

Isla smiled and threw her arms around him, careful not to harm him in any way. "Thank you, Falcon. I will return one day when I am done searching."

Falcon chuckled. "You have been searching for years. I hope you find what you're looking for soon."

Isla nodded and Falcon walked her to the livery, where they parted ways and Isla chose a dark brown stallion.

Dust flew from the pounding hooves of the stallion as she rode out of town.
"No one's ever burned you, nothing's ever left you scarred and even though you want to, just try to never grow up." -Taylor Swift, Never Grow Up
Chloë Máiréad
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby MountainFireflower » Jul 24, 2011 1:11 pm

"The horses were fine." Callan frowned at the edge in his father's voice, then managed to duplicate that same contempt in his response. "How was the forgery? I trust you had a productive and mostly safe day?" His tone was slightly sarcastic.

He threw his coat onto a chair and leaned against the wall, crossing his arms. This was not shaping up to be a pleasant homecoming. One of these days, maybe he and his father could get through a day without arguing, but Callan's defenses were up already and it wasn't going to be easy for him to just walk away. Not today.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lady Courage » Jul 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Grace barely heard Stendar speak to her. With her mind in a hurt and angry swirl, it was difficult to concentrate on any one thing. If Stendar had dared to ask what was on her mind, it is unlikely she could have told him in any clear terms. She vaguely heard him say something about breaking camp and King's men. However, she most distinctly heard him mention riding with one of them. Her tumultuous mind managed to grasp that concept and she finally looked at Stendar, distractedly.

"I should prefer to ride with you," she whispered and rose from her seat, holding the blanket around herself still. Her head drooped and she felt oddly tired, the clumps of hair that fell about her face barely shifted when her shallow breath touched them. Without Stendar's prompting, she wandered slowly back towards the fire, gazing at the ground, trying to straighten out her thoughts. One thought in particular reoccurred to her again and again and again.
What am I going to do now?

-----------------------

Previously...
Bother Eustace wrote:Micah gave her a steady glance, disliking her laughing tease but not apologetic. "I think you can handle it yourself, Telwyn," he answered evenly, and gave a gesturing nod towards the wood. "Just don't get yourself lost."

Telwyn's eyes sparkled merrily and she gave him her humored half-bow. "Indeed, sir. I believe I might be able to find my way back here. If I am absent for a length of time exceeding an hour, you may send out the cavalry for me." She straightened with a flashing grin and looked at Susanne for a moment before turning around and sauntering into the dark trees. They swallowed her up as though she were a part of them.
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext