This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Town Square II

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: The Town Square II

Postby TheGentleWarrior » May 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Valia! Rya! Lady A! Lovely to see you all again! :ymhug:

@Valia, I'm doing fairly well, thanks. :) This past year has been filled with a lot of tough illnesses on my part but things have slowly started to light up again which I am grateful for.

I am indeed in school, finishing up my 2nd year of college! In fact, I'm graduating with my associates degree in three days. I'm so excited for it! :D I'm still somewhat undecided for what my major will be but I'm leaning heavily towards psychology with a minor in Italian. Of course, I would like to squeeze in a minor in dance somewhere as well!

I got my first job at my campus as a supplemental instructor in psychology with one of my professors. I love it. Teaching is a passion I have inherited from my mom. It's such a great experience! :D

@Lady A, I am still dancing. Can't stop that! I moved to a new studio that welcomes college students in upper levels and take ballet and pointe, and I just started Irish step dance. I still do tap and jazz at my old studio as well. I have... 7 recital dances this year. Three at one studio and four at another. I get to go straight to my first recital after my commencement this weekend. Busy days!

Naturally, I'm still hurting myself. Where there is dance and where there is me, means injury! ;;) I've been out for weeks to make my first recital this week and have no clue what I'm doing choreography wise. I'll figure it out 2 minutes befobefore I go on, lol.

I hope everyone here had a good memorial day! It got quite hot up here, just when the AC chose to break. :p Figures!

*hauls her homework into a corner and settles down with some chocolate and resumes her people watching*
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby starkat » Jun 02, 2015 10:58 am

Lady A, if you feel the urge to travel, you could come down here and visit. Yeah I know you've been here before, but we could go explore some of the smaller town museums or flea markets. :)

I may trek over to Mississippi briefly at some point this summer. I'm taking July 17th off. I haven't taken much time off this year. Been kind of holding onto some of it for later on in the year.
starkat

Postby Meltintalle » Jun 08, 2015 8:20 am

Wren, that looks like a fun road-trip map. I just finished putting together a playlist of my all-time favorite songs for travelling, starting with the albums I remember my parents playing when I was little and we'd be driving down to visit Grandma. ;)) (It's very 80's CCM and makes me look forward to conquering some road. B-) )

Rya, you donated your hair? I did that a couple years ago and am now debating if I should do it again...

Sorry to hear you've been ill, Gen. :ymhug: How did the recital go?

This spring I participated in a local community choir. It was a lot of fun; something I've always wanted to do--and hopefully I can fit the Christmas concert into my schedule too. The program was Broadway songs--Lion King, Newsies, Sound of Music, Porgy and Bess, Les Mis... good stuff!
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby ValiantArcher » Jun 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Rya! Belated, but congrats on your brother finishing training! :D And it sounds like it was a good trip. :)

Ooh, that looks like a cool road trip, Wren! :D Though you might have to make a short detour when you come to my state. ;) (...and, you know, I wonder how they pick the destinations, because I have never heard of the one in my state. :-\ :P ;)) )

:ymhug: I'm sorry to hear about the illnesses, TGW. :( But huge congratulations on graduating with your Associate's! :D :ymhug: That's fantastic! And congrats on your job teaching psychology! :D Are you actually giving lectures, or is it more like a TA position with discussion groups and grading and homework assignments and such? I hope it's going well. :)

Ooh, that community choir concert sounds like a lot of fun, Mel! :D So glad you got to do that. :)

Not much beyond work and thesis/research going on for me right now. But my mom and Summer come home in nine days, Lord willing, so I'm really looking forward to seeing them again! :D
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Frodo Lion » Jul 01, 2015 3:13 pm

*slowly, with much nistalga, a grey hobbit - lion wanders by the old fountain. Looking in he notices Bob the platypus swimming about* "Bob! So nice to see you!" The hobbit-lion greets. "It has been years and I was thinking fond memories so I had to come by."

Greetings everyone, I am a rather old member (joined before they even started filming the movies I believe and lurked for a while before that) so my name is unlikely to be remembered here. Dispute my avatar, I am actually not a guy haha. Back in 2006 when I was a senior in high school I, who lived in and grew up in Minnesota, met Narnian_Storm on here and he was a junior in high school and lived in Upstate NY. Thanks to this wonderful part of the forum we started to get to know each other and years down the road met in person and got married. Tomorrow we will be celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary! I knew a lot of members back in the day but not sure how many are active now. Some on the top of my head are starkat, Stargazer, Narnialover101, Ryadain (sp?) Suchwascharn, and Master Oliver among others. Thanks for listening to me speak.
You have my sword.
Frodo Lion
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stargazer » Jul 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Frodo Lion! How nice to see you again! :)

Congrats to both of you on your anniversary tomorrow. :ymapplause:

The forum is a lot quieter now but some of the old regulars still frequent it. We're hoping progress on the Silver Chair movie may bring back some familiar faces and draw in some new ones as well.

I remember a bit of neat artwork from you - a Narnian giant with the "Spoonbridge and Cherry" sculpture near downtown Minneapolis.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Jul 02, 2015 1:26 pm

*waves way over on the other page to Outcast* Good to see you in the ol' Town Square. :D So, you had a different username on the old forum?

Gen!, glad you came by too. :D You're still ballet-ing and school-ing? Ah, I just read your later post. How great about your on-campus job! How'd it go? I love the enthusiasm in your posts! And congratulations on getting your Associates! :D You take care of yourself. :ymhug:

Ryadian, your trip sounds lovely. :) Wow, you had 12 inches of your hair cut off? Impressive. How are you enjoying your shorter look? And how very, very special about your brother. :D

How's the re-roofing coming along, Wren? Are you lending a hand, or would you rather not. ;)) Did you get a job for the summer?

*waves to kat too* :D

Hope you had a great road-trip, Mel. And the spring choir sounds like so much fun! How many performances did you have?

Valia, it must be so, so nice to think of your mom and Summer and know they're home! :D When is your dad coming back?

Hi Frodo Lion. I knew your hubby from the forum, but not you, really, although I certainly recognize your username. :) It's so neat you two met through NarniaWeb! And, in looking at your Join Date, you're celebrating 10 years here on July 17th. \:D/ So glad you came by after all this time. :D And happy 4th wedding anniversary too!

stargazer wrote:We're hoping progress on the Silver Chair movie may bring back some familiar faces and draw in some new ones as well.

Indeed! Btw, I like the term "old regular". ;)) I'm more like a medium-old regular, lol. Frodo Lion, I wasn't around the forum when it began, 'though I did check the newspage every single day and now wish I had joined/become active sooner. It's like a second family here. :)
johobbit

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Yikes, TGW. I hope the recital went well! ...and that you stop having so many injuries. ;)) I think that is just part of the dance territory, though.

Thanks, kat. I probably won't be doing much out of state traveling this summer, though; I'm starting to draw up some potential plans for next year.

Mel-y, that sounds cool :D Music on road trips is always the best.

Valia, I will always make a detour for you. ;) I actually considered at one point mapping out all the moddies and seeing if I could make a trip just jumping from mod house to mod house...and then I thought how fun it would be to start accruing mods as I went, and finish everything up with a mod caravan. :P

How is everyone doing now that they're making their ways back to the states, Valia? All the preparations going smoothly?

Welcome back, Frodo Lion!

The roofing is almost done, Jo. They're just waiting for the new skylights to come in, and then they will be finished. And no, no helping on my part--it was a professional crew doing it, so I don't much think they would want me sticking my nose in. :) I did not find a job, but I've a little savings and this allows me some good chunks of time to work on writing and research proposals, so I'm ok with it.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby johobbit » Jul 19, 2015 8:32 am

Cool about the roofing, Wren. :)

So, it's, like, hot, hot, hot here today (40C/104F) to the point where I have to hibernate. It may sound crazy, but even with A/C, the humidity drains me. And talking and being with people is just not possible when it's this muggy. :p Counting the days until autumn! ;))

In other news, we have had quite a pleasant summer thus far (this weekend is an exception for this year, although not for most Julys), with a good balance of rain and sun. The crops are growing beautifully and "the corn is [almost] as high as an elephant's eye". ;)) Does anyone else know that older, very cheery song "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning?" from the musical Oklahoma?

Wishing y'all a great mortereve! B-)
johobbit

Postby ValiantArcher » Jul 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Aww, thanks, Wren! :D I appreciate detours to say hello. ;) And I like the idea of a mod caravan. ;))
Everything seems to be going fairly smoothly with people getting stateside again. My mom and sister are still trying to settle back in, and my dad is coming next week, but hopefully things will get back to a good schedule soon. ...well, maybe after Winter's wedding at least... ;))

Jo, my dad is supposed to be back a week from Tuesday, Lord willing. :) Then I get to come down and see him (and everyone) that weekend. :D
I'm glad to hear you've had a good summer so far! :D Ours started off rather wet (yay!) but is now rather hot and drying out. :P
Jo wrote:The crops are growing beautifully and "the corn is [almost] as high as an elephant's eye". ;)) Does anyone else know that older, very cheery song "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning?" from the musical Oklahoma?
I do! ;) ;)) It is a very fun song! :)
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 20, 2015 11:26 am

Icky about the hot, Jo. It gets hot here, too, but at least we have a very dry heat, so it is much more bearable than wet heats. As for that song, well...I have a few poor memories of waking up to my dad belting it out at the top of his lungs...and not in his good singing voice. ;))

That's good, Valia, although I'm sure your assessment that things won't get fully settled until after the wedding will end up being true. ;))

I've finished up my summer class, and will be picking up my final paper later this week. Which means I need to double down on my research proposals and get those squared away over the last month. I still need to get research advisers for my proposals (one in Canada, too, Jo ;) ), but I'm hoping to pull together my preliminary stuff in the next two weeks or so.

And my family is getting ready to head down to Disney. :D They host a professional conference every fall that my dad does, and so as many as the others in the family that can try to go down too, so we can hang out. This year will probably be the longest we're down there, being there for almost a full week. O_O But it'll be nice to relax down there.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby stargazer » Jul 20, 2015 11:35 am

I know that song too, Jo. Not to mention the catchy tune "Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain..."

;)) About your dad's not good singing voice, Wren. My dad liked to sing little snippets of songs and sometimes he'd come out with them at the most humorous times. And he had a repertoire of songs not only from long ago (he grew up in the Depression) but also 'novelty' songs like "May the Bird of Paradise Fly up Your Nose" or "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (on the Bedpost Overnight)?"

Have a great time down at Disney!

The weather here varies between "air you can wear" (I heard a Weather Channel meteorologist use that phrase this morning) and fairly nice weather (for July). Usually there is torrential rain and spectacular lightning separating those two things. There have been some truly glorious lightning displays of late, and I like watching them as long as I'm indoors.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby narnianerd » Aug 01, 2015 11:12 am

Attention to all whom this concerns;

As of tomorrow I officially belong to the United States Government and thus shall be departing for many weeks of training down south. As such I shall have both limited time and access to technological devices, therefore I regretfully find myself at crossroads in my life where I must officially separate myself from my internet persona, at least temporarily. I shall miss you all. Best of luck in all of your endeavors. Hoah and farewell.

- narnianerd, Jackalope Joe or Zak, depending on how you knew me.

(Seriously though, y'all rock hardcore. I'll miss you guys, a lot.)
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 03, 2015 10:10 am

Gazer, my dad used to sing all of those to me, too--May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose was a particular favorite of his, too. I honestly don't know the etymology of most of his songs. For the record, he does have a very nice singing voice when he wishes to sound nice...it's just most of the time he, well, doesn't. Mainly because he's singing novelty songs, as you so nicely termed them. Another one I remember him singing was Ugly Bug Ball, which is, I believe, from a Hayley Mills film. ;))

Take care, Nerdling! Although, I know you're already at boot now, so I doubt you'll be seeing this for a few months. ;)) I've appreciated watching you grow up, and your Nweb Ma is proud to see you launch. Just...take care of yourself, ok? Hooah, kid.

Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 22, 2015 7:43 pm

Well, the wedding has successfully passed though we're still trying to get things to settle down. :P ;))

How was Disney, Wren? :)

Is the weather starting to turn fall-like for you all, gazer? Or is it still pretty hot (like it is here)?

Ahh! Best wishes, nn! I guess you won't see this for a while :ymblushing: but we'll miss having you about, and hope to see you around sometime still. :)

Not much to report here. We've had a few cooler days and some nice storms but this week is still 80's F, possibly even 90's which is a bit much for September even for us. Hopefully it'll actually turn to fall pretty soon. (Though, overall, this summer hasn't been near as bad as it can be/usually is, so I am thankful for that.) :)
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Shawna » Sep 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi, y'all. So this is my thing, I guess. I spontaneously remember Narniaweb, check in, then forget about it for a bunch of months before I remember it again. I suppose it's since it's pretty slow. Not like the good old days, when we could spend pages and pages chatting in a single day. The good old days being when I was in college and had time for that sort of nonsense. ;)

You Will Find Me Bigger wrote:She's thinking of something to do with her old Ditto Story character Lianna. I told her I'd be interested to read it. :)

That's actually why I stopped writing on the Ditto story myself. I started developing my VF character more and liking what I came up with so much that I decided to save it for an original story. Haven't written it yet, but I do fully intend to one day write a MG/YA fantasy series where the first book will have the words "the Vampire Fancier" in the title. I've actually got a bunch of notes written out, but I'm in the midst of a different series for now.

Someone mentioned a Christian writers' conference. I went to one of those quite a while ago. It was somewhat interesting, though rather irritating when pretty much every conversation went like this:
"What are you writing?"
"Well, it's about a Christian vampire--"
*laughter*
"I'm serious."
author webpage: http://shawnacanon.com
Shawna
NarniaWeb Fanatic

PreviousNext