The Town Square II

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: The Town Square II

Postby Aravanna » Feb 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Hey Sonny!

It has been a while! Good to see you again! It's been so long since I've seen LWW, if it's on Netflix, I should give it a go. I'm one of those weird people that usually doesn't rewatch movies more than twice, but if it's been long enough, it's fresh again.

And good Mortereve to all,

Come back if you get a chance, though I know life gets busy.
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Sonny » Feb 27, 2017 10:44 pm

I watched it so many times that when I watched it in Spanish, I knew when they changed the words to preserve the meaning in Spanish!
Sonny
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aravanna » Feb 28, 2017 8:31 pm

So are you fluent in Spanish? If so I'm a bit jealous. Learning language has always been overwhelming for me, so I've ever tried very hard. Buenos dias is about as much as I can say.
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Sonny » Feb 28, 2017 11:33 pm

I studied Spanish for 6 semesters in college. But that was 7 years ago, so I've forgotten much. I work in a hotel with some Hispanic folks, so I try to talk to them. Listening to LWW in Spanish is easier for a couple reasons: 1) I already know the dialogue, and 2) the Spanish spoken is slower and better enunciated than normal conversation Spanish.
Sonny
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lady Arwen » Apr 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Jo wrote:Hidden Figures was excellent, Wren. In fact, I think another friend and I are going to take it in tomorrow again.

I've yet to see it, but I'm very excited about it. I'm considering working it in to one of the classes I'm teaching, so I'm glad that it seems to be getting such positive reviews from movie and history buffs like yourself. I'm also trying to mix in more female-centered stuff. It's a bit strange, actually, because I'm planning next year's course load, and I was looking at my book list and I went "wow, this is really female-heavy". Then I did a count and found that it was almost exactly a 50/50 split between female MCs and male MCs. It's surprising when balanced seems off-balance.

Ara wrote:'ve been trying to avoid any debates though, it just doesn't seem to produce anything but more anger and polarization. Nobody actually changes their position, they just get mad.

Very true, which is why I generally try to avoid them in general. But every now and then someone says something that leaves that lasting bit of anger in the bottom of my stomach, and I just feel like I have to say something to take that weight away.

Hey Sonny! Good to see you. I did the same thing with LWW when it first came out (different language, though). Dubs are pretty much my favorite because they seem so much clearer than when they were originally recorded in that language. ;)) Hope you can pop in again!
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Sonny » Apr 19, 2017 1:23 am

Lady Arwen wrote: It's a bit strange, actually, because I'm planning next year's course load, and I was looking at my book list and I went "wow, this is really female-heavy". Then I did a count and found that it was almost exactly a 50/50 split between female MCs and male MCs. It's surprising when balanced seems off-balance.

It's fascinating how in this male-centric society, even 50/50 splits feel "female-heavy" as you put it. I find that the same can be said about other minority people groups as well, whether because of religion, skin color, or other factors. Oh, for a time when all are treated with respect and even deference.
Sonny
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Apr 23, 2017 2:41 am

Hello, and a happy Saint George's Day! (23 April - for the patron saint of England, who according to a legend killed a dragon).
“Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.” -Frank Herbert
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Previous