This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Town Square II

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: The Town Square II

Postby Ryadian » Apr 17, 2014 2:58 pm

You Will Find Me Bigger wrote:Rya, what did you end up studying in school? Will you get to use it with your new job? :) Funny, I think you were about 14 when I joined the forum... hard to believe how much time it's been.

I'm pretty sure I was 14 by then. Unfortunately. ;)) (I promise, I got over certain obsessions--or at least learned to stop talking about them non-stop. ;) ) But yeah, sometimes I forget how long it's been, too. Especially since I have a hard time remembering I'm 23 now. ;)) Anyways, I ended up with a Linguistics major and a Spanish minor (I have a thing for language :P ), though... the jobs I'm looking for don't deal directly with that. :P The job I was talking about at the time (which I'm pretty sure I didn't get, since they were going to make a decision by the 14th and I didn't hear anything :( ) was actually a customer service job--but the experience of working in an office and some of the other skills would've been helpful. :)

Sorry I've been so absent lately. :ymblushing: Between birthday celebrations (last Monday), getting ready for my interview, and the sudden writing frenzy I've been hit with, I've been getting thoroughly distracted by things. ;))

*Glares at the snow outside* Normally, I love snow... just not when it melts, returns for a day, then all melts away again. [-( Especially over half-way into April. If it's Spring, I want to enjoy Spring activities! Oh well; we had a long winter last year, and it turned into a very lovely summer (I don't think we got temperatures about the 80's throughout all of June), so I guess I'll have a nice summer to look forward to. :P

I'm glad the painting decision turned out well, Cymru. :) And I hope your netbook is doing better than your tablet, Willow! Eep--I'm really glad that when I chose between a smartphone and a tablet, I went with the phone. 24 hours?! :|
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby johobbit » Apr 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Willow wrote:I volunteer with a ministry to at-risk girls on Thursday nights, and we had a bit of a rough night. It's an incredibly rewarding thing to be a part of, but sometimes it's just TOUGH. But through the chaos and confusion and arguing and giggling and off-topic questions, I know that there were girls who heard the Gospel clearly for the very first time last night.

That is very, very cool, Willow! What a ministry. Challenging, indeed, but I can imagine how much the girls are being supported and given hope through something like this. And as Rose mentioned, the best part is sharing Christ with them!

Glad you (finally ;))) found a colour you love for your house, Cymru! :D

Hoping a job comes up for you soon, Rya! :ymhug:

*waves to Lady Galadriel as well* :-h :)

So, what's new? Hmm. Lots, but way too much to write here. ;))

Spring has sprung
The grass has riz
I wonder where
the birdies is ...
;))

Actually, not true. We lived in a very treed area and when I go on my early morning walks, I hear the calls of cardinals, robins, mourning doves (♥), amongst others, including the tap-tap-tap of a downy woodpecker. Love these!

So, what spring-y food thing-y can I leave by the Fountain in the Square? *think-think-think*

Well, it's early (here we pick them in late June), but I couldn't resist ...

johobbit

Postby stargazer » Apr 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Those strawberries look delicious!

Spring has sprung indeed, jo, with the promise of greenery around here someday, if this rain ever stops and the sun comes out. ;))

Wait, was that a snowflake that just went by? It sure was, and it was accompanied by a few million of its brothers. Snow at the end of April isn't terribly unusual here, but this winter's been kind of a long one and people are starting to wish for summer.

And if I'm allergic to tree pollen, how can I be sneezing when it's still snowing outside? ;)

But camping season can't be too far off, can it? Memorial Day weekend is less than a month away now. :)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » May 02, 2014 2:11 pm

*strolls in on this lovely Friday afternoon, with a basket in hand that's full delightful teas in a variety of bright and springy flavors, and promptly begins making a pitcher of iced tea for everyone to enjoy* :D

I'm so glad some warmer weather has finally arrived! I was beginning to wonder if Spring had finally said "we're never, ever getting back together!" with my part of the country. ;)) To celebrate the lovely spring breezes, I've been enjoying lots of iced tea, especially with a squeeze of lemon. So delicious! :D

Conga-rats on finally deciding on the netbook and paint color, Willow and Cymru! Hope y'all are enjoying both of those for a long time to come! :)

Oh my, Rya—more snow?! And you, too, gazer? :-o To quote the great Charlie Brown: good grief. :P I hope that it's all melted by now and that you are being treated to some springy weather at long last!

Mmm, Jo, those strawberries look amazing! *garnishes a glass of iced tea with one* :D I saw a cardinal the other day, and was struck by just how beautiful his brilliant red coat was against the bright spring leaves! They are some seriously stylin' birds! ;))

Well, apparently a package was just left at my door, so I better be running along to attend to that. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend! :ymhug:
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby TimmyofOz » May 22, 2014 8:07 pm

does anyone know why NarniaFans is down today?
TimmyofOz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » May 23, 2014 3:15 pm

It's up 'n running now! Good to see you, Timmy, although I hope you can pop by more often than only when NarniaFans is down. :p Are you a fan of The Wizard of Oz, by any chance? (Just a wild guess. ;) )

That iced-tea looks so refreshing, Rose, even though, personally, I don't partake. :ymblushing: The taste of any tea—hot or cold—just does not appeal to me. Odd, I know.
/:) ;))

Rose wrote:I saw a cardinal the other day, and was struck by just how beautiful his brilliant red coat was against the bright spring leaves!

Ain't that true? The cardinal are one of my favourite birds. A mourning dove is another. And hummingbirds. Woodpeckers too. :D

Well, apparently a package was just left at my door,

Oooh, a lovely surprise? Or just something ... boring? :P

stargazer, I hope your allergies behave themselves when you're camping this long weekend! Enjoy. Roaring bonfires and clear skies to you. :)

Rain, rain, rain, so much rain here. But it's sure bringing out the blossoms and buds and blooms. And green is everywhere. After a very, very white cold season (which I loved), it's strange to have everything so colourful. Pretty too. But, then, so was this exceedingly snowy winter.
B-)
johobbit

Postby TimmyofOz » May 24, 2014 8:16 am

Hi Johobbit, yes I love the Baum and Thompson Oz books with Dorothy and Ozma, I always say I would rather be in Oz than Narnia. Didn't like the Oz, the Great and Powerful movie. I guess it only like it if Dorothy is in Oz.
TimmyofOz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Ryadian » May 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi, TimmyofOz! :) I have to admit, I've only read the first Oz book (and that was a while ago), though I know a bit about the other books. I want to read them, eventually, but haven't gotten around to it thus far. :) I have to admit, I didn't think much of Oz the Great and Powerful either. I liked the opportunity to see more of Oz than was shown in the first one, but the only character I really liked was the China Girl.

Spring is most definitely here! :) (Yes, I know it's odd to be getting excited about it now that summer is almost here, but we'd had snow so long that I'm only now feeling sure that it's over! :P ) I'm getting really excited for my family's annual camping trip, which is coming up in a couple of weeks. :D (Admittedly, tent-camping is about as outdoorsy as I get, but I love it!)

Admittedly, I haven't enjoyed the weather as much as I should. ;)) My family got Netflix this past year, and... yyyyeah, it is not good for my productivity. :P Made even worse by the fact that I usually watch TV shows, not movies--a much more impressive time commitment. :P It's kind of nice, though, because my mom and/or brother and I keep finding shows to watch together--as long as we're going to be addicted to our technology, it's nice to be addicted together. :P :)
Ryadian

Postby stargazer » May 26, 2014 11:15 am

And hello from me as well, Timmy! I too am familiar with only the first Oz book.

Spring has come and gone here it seems. Snow just a few weeks ago, and now high humidity and temps closing in on 90F. Sigh...

Camping this past weekend was fun, at least at first. This year's delayed spring and quick warm up means the trees all went to pollen at once. My car is coated in a yellowish layer of the stuff...and so is everything else. Alas, I had to leave the campground earlier than planned due to allergies.

Hopefully, this will be over before my next trip - the one Ryadian mentioned above, in a few weeks.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Ryadian » May 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Ouch! Wow, I think this spring is trying to make up for the fact that it's only lasting a month. ;))

One of the other things I love about Spring and Summer is that it makes me feel more creative. :) I've heard other people say that spending time in nature makes them feel more creative, and I think the same applies to me, too. It'd be nice if I could bottle that creativity while I'm out on a walk so I still have those ideas when I can write them down, but oh well. ;)) Ahh, the struggles of being a writer.

But, speaking of which, I've got characters calling my name. Especially since I had a dream last night which I think could make an interesting story, but--no! Must resist! Must... stick... to... stories... I've... already... started.... (If my mind spent the time it uses for new story ideas on my current ones, maybe I'd actually finish something for once! :P )
Ryadian

Postby johobbit » May 30, 2014 9:56 am

Cool, Timmy! :)

I always say I would rather be in Oz than Narnia.

You are a fan! ;))

I do hope your allergies will be over by the time the next camping trip comes up, stargazer. Ahh, campfires and cooking over them. ♥ The night sky, nature ... hopefully not too many mosquitoes. :p

Yay for creativity, Ryadian! :D

We had two very humid days earlier this week (and it does not seem that long that the snow has been gone!), but thankfully now the temperature is much more seasonable and manageable.

I am late getting to my gardens this year, and have to go downstairs soon to plan them out. I have not bought a single thing yet—small plant or seed packet. :ymblushing: Anyway, I'm itching to get stuff in the earth.
;))
johobbit

Postby stargazer » May 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Being out in nature definitely helps me write more creatively too. Some of my camping trips, especially when I'm alone, have inspired some fun short stories, NaNo story chapters, or just ideas for other projects I'm working on.

A condition for this, however, is that the weather is nice. Not too hot, humid, or full of bugs. That can be rare here in the summer but autumn is another story. :)

After last week's pollen attack I'm just relaxing indoors (mostly), especially today which could bring the first 90F (32C) reading....and more humidity as dewpoints creep higher into the 60sF (15C and above).
stargazer

Postby TimmyofOz » Jun 01, 2014 9:06 pm

stargazer, You can find all of the Baum Oz books online and thur LibriVox you can even download audiobooks versions of the first 16 books. :)
TimmyofOz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Ryadian » Jun 10, 2014 10:50 am

I'll have to check that out at some point, TimmyofOz. :) (Much easier than tracking them all down individually!)

Well, this has sure been an interesting week so far! :P :) The Mystery Mansion started yesterday ([/shamelessplug] :P ), and it's been fun watching that start up--while, meanwhile, doing things behind the scenes. :P (I feel like a GM for a more traditional RPG or Mystery Mansion! :P ) And this weekend, my family's going CAMPING!!! :D :D :D It's our yearly tradition, and as usual, I almost want to skip over this whole week to get there! (Almost. :P ;) )

But this year, that would mean skipping over today, and this year I am not making that mistake. :P :) Today is the 10th anniversary of the day I decided to join NarniaWeb. Wow... it's still weird to say that. It feels like it's been maybe 5 years since the forum was made. Things sure have changed, both for the forum and me personally, but I wouldn't trade the time I've spent here for the world.

[/sappy] :P :ymblushing:
Ryadian

Postby Lady Arwen » Jun 10, 2014 3:41 pm

* pops in to hug Rya *

And I've loved getting to know you through the forum! It has been interesting watching your writing style grow and change, as all of ours have, and to build some wonderful ideas and characters alongside you. I look forward to many more years writing together, and I greatly appreciate your friendship. Happy anniversary, Rya!

* pops out *

* pops back in *

Oh, yeah, if any of you are remotely interested in trying your hand at solving a mystery or writing a story, I'd suggest checking out the Mystery Mansion. ;)

* pops out for real *
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby stargazer » Jun 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Congrats, Rya, on 10 years here. It's been fun collaborating here in writing projects, not to mention being able to discuss them in real life. ;))

Looking forward to this weekend's camping trip. I'll be joining Rya and her family and some other friends in our annual trip to a nearby park. Friday's weather looks great but the rest of the weekend looks a little sketchy. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

And here's the third straight plug for Ditto Town's new Mystery Mansion. ;)) Go check it out!
stargazer

PreviousNext