This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Why was Jack never knighted/created a peer/given a OBE/CBE

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Why was Jack never knighted/created a peer/given a OBE/CBE

Postby Princess Frances » Jan 30, 2016 3:29 pm

Lewis seems an obvious choice to be knighted or raised to the peerage. I know that Roald Dahl was denied a peerage or knighthood because of his publicly expressed anti-Jewish views.
Princess Frances

Re: Why was Jack never knighted/created a peer/given a OBE/CBE

Postby coracle » Jan 31, 2016 1:48 am

Good question. He was actually offered an honour but he declined it. You could find some details on an online biography; try the links from this site (Resources and Links).
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Re: Why was Jack never knighted/created a peer/given a OBE/CBE

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 31, 2016 2:45 am

Who could blame him when the Queen's own husband was offered a knighthood from the Australian government, under the leadership of Tony Abbott, a Monarchist, and a Catholic, which resulted in a change of government and Prime Ministership for Australia, in 2015? Sorry, it is delving into the political, but some of the criticism directed at C.S Lewis is also political, from an Australian point of view. And believe me, I am so gratified that C.S.Lewis at least got the recognition due to him when he got that plaque, on the fiftieth anniversary of his death, in Westminster Abbey.

By the way, C.S.Lewis, I am happy to say, can never be accused of anti-Jewish sentiment. Not only because of his marriage to Joy Davidman but also because the children he hosted in WW2 included Jewish refugees.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot