This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Lewis: At Home in Oxford

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Lewis: At Home in Oxford

Postby Lady Arwen » Jan 06, 2015 2:06 pm

A member recently sent in a link to a short but interesting article about one of CS Lewis' former homes being saved from demolition in Oxford. I recently popped over to visit a friend in Oxford, and, while I got to visit several other major locations of historic literary importance, like Alice's Shop and the Eagle and Child, I wasn't aware of the house at that point in time.

What do you think should be done with the house? Should it be developed into a tourist location? Do you know of some other little-known places in and around Oxford that are off the beaten path, but of importance to Lewis' history? Have you been able to visit any of these places, both of the well known and not so well known?
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Re: Lewis: At Home in Oxford

Postby jewel » Jan 08, 2015 9:33 am

Certainly be used for visitors. A tourist location. People love C. S. Lewis.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Jan 13, 2015 11:01 am

I'd certainly be interested in seeing it, should I ever make it to England. It might not be as well known as the Kilns but would still be of interest to Lewis fans.

I think restoring it to the condition it was in when Lewis lived there would be best, though financing such a thing might require an admission fee or the like. Adding some information about his life there would be a welcome addition as well.

I'd like to visit these and so many other UK locations should I ever be fortunate enough to go there.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby jewel » Jan 13, 2015 9:38 pm

I would Douglass Gresham had something to do with it's defense. Is this true?
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lilygloves » May 18, 2018 12:43 pm

I found the article itself amusing, especially reading people's reactions to it not being torn down. I like the idea of it becoming a museum, especially since the Kilns is used more for study than a museum about Lewis.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie