This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

CS Lewis and L Frank Baum's Magical Worlds

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

CS Lewis and L Frank Baum's Magical Worlds

Postby Princess Frances » Nov 10, 2014 5:38 am

I'm looking at starting a debate about Baum and Lewis.

Anyone here interested?
Princess Frances

Re: CS Lewis and L Frank Baum's Magical Worlds

Postby Princess Frances » Nov 11, 2014 9:02 am

Anyone read Baum's "Oz" books?

I was surprised to find out that there is a genderswap in the series. TV Tropes' "Different for Girls" describes it thusly:

Averted in The Marvelous Land of Oz, the second of L. Frank Baum's Oz books. Tip, the boy protagonist, spends the entire book searching for the lost Princess of Oz only to discover near the end that he's the lost princess. While he expresses some initial reservation at the thought of becoming a girl it's mostly because he wonders what his friends will think of him. After he becomes Princess Ozma nothing more is ever said about her backstory even though the princess is a very Girly Girl. Given that it was a children's book published in 1903, it's not surprising that there wasn't much examination of this trope.
Princess Frances

Re: CS Lewis and L Frank Baum's Magical Worlds

Postby coracle » Nov 13, 2014 2:21 am

I suggest you look in the Spare Oom for places to discuss different literature.
This forum is specific to Lewis's works and his life and beliefs.
If you want to discuss Baum's world compared to Lewis's, a better way is to give some ideas or ask a question that links the two.

for the Moderators
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie