This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Quotes and Connections

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Quotes and Connections

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Have you ever read something by Lewis and thought "That explains why he wrote that in the Chronicles?" Well, this is the thread to discuss that. Please include an exact quote by Lewis with the reference and explain what in the Chronicles it reminds you of and why.

(By the way, don’t ‘weep inwardly’ and get a sore throat. If you must weep, weep: a good honest howl! I suspect we—and especially, my sex—don’t cry enough nowadays. Aeneas and Hector and Beowulf and Roland and Lancelot blubbered like school-girls, so why shouldn’t we?)
This is from a letter to Mary Willis Shelburne on 22 February 1954. I think this might show why Lewis makes a point of having Eustace cry in SC and makes it clear that he was crying like an adult / not trying to hide it. Jill's need to cry is validated in LB when Tirian doesn't tell her not to cry but tells her not to get her bow string wet. Aslan cries as well.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: Quotes and Connections

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 08, 2014 2:02 pm

Great idea for a thread! :ymapplause: That's a very interesting observation on that quote about crying. I'm glad that Lewis made a point of saying that Eustace was crying like a man in The Silver Chair.

I haven't read The Great Divorce yet, but I ran across this quote on the internet, and it reminded me so much of the Dwarfs in the stable in The Last Battle.

C.S. Lewis wrote:A damned soul is nearly nothing; it is shrunk, shut up in itself. Good beats upon the damned incessantly as sound waves beat on the ears of the deaf, but they cannot receive it. Their fists are clenched, their teeth are clenched, their eyes fast shut. First they will not, in the end they cannot, open their hands for gifts, or their mouths for food, or their eyes to see.

So very sad. No wonder Lucy cried for them. :(
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: Quotes and Connections

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Nov 01, 2014 1:34 pm

C.S. Lewis in the Last Battle wrote:“Grown-up, indeed,” said the Lady Polly. “I wish she would grow up. She wasted all her school time wanting to be the age she is now, and she’ll waste all the rest of her life trying to stay that age. Her whole idea is to race on to the silliest time of one’s life as quick as she can and then stop there as long as she can.”

From a letter to Mary Willis Shelburne From The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, Volume III:

Yes, I too think there is lots to be said for being no longer young: and I do most heartily agree that it is just as well to be past the age when one expects or desires to attract the other sex. It’s natural enough in our species, as in others, that the young birds should show off their plumage—in the mating season. But the trouble in the modern world is that there’s a tendency to rush all the birds on to that age as soon as possible and then keep them there as late as possible, thus losing all the real value of the other parts of life in a senseless, pitiful attempt to prolong what, after all, is neither its wisest, its happiest, or most innocent period. I suspect merely commercial motives are behind it all: for it is at the showing-off age that birds of both sexes have least sales resistance!
That definitely explains the idea behind Susan turning out as she did. Lewis believed that society tended to push people that way. I think there likely are commercial motivations behind it. ;))
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb