This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Pilgrim's Regress

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Pilgrim's Regress

Postby jewel » Jul 30, 2013 9:33 am

I might eventually like to read this book by C.S.Lewis. Is anyone else interested?
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Pilgrim's Regress

Postby aileth » Jul 11, 2014 10:46 am

Were you hoping to do a reading group, jewel?

I've tried reading Regress twice now--twice! and never made it through. My brother (who has read it twice) says that it helps if you have an understanding of Lewis's life and some of the spiritual struggles he went through before coming to Christ. Regress is probably more allegorical than some of his other writings, but like in The Great Divorce, he humourously lampoons wrong thinking and leaves you with something to chew on.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby coracle » Jul 11, 2014 10:35 pm

It is definitely worth reading - but you may find that you are like me, and are not sure about some of the philosophies the hero encounters on his definitely allegorical journey.
Having the internet handy will be useful - it wasn't an option when I first read Regress.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby jewel » Jul 26, 2014 1:03 pm

I've really enjoyed it. It's swell.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Jul 26, 2014 11:35 pm

Jewel, have you studied some of the philosophies the hero meets on his allegorical journey? I'd like to hear which ones appealed to you, or were of interest.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Nov 01, 2014 1:01 pm

My mom just bought this book for me so I will definitely be reading it. Not sure when though. :P
aileth wrote:My brother (who has read it twice) says that it helps if you have an understanding of Lewis's life and some of the spiritual struggles he went through before coming to Christ.
Hm. Maybe I should read Surprised by Joy first. That might have background information in it that would help.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby jewel » Dec 09, 2014 6:11 pm

No I haven't Coracle. I will try to read it and get back to you.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Dec 11, 2014 3:20 am

It's one of those books to take your time over really - although I suspect you could do it quickly by using google for each of the philosophies.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby fledge1 » Oct 05, 2018 8:45 am

coracle wrote:It's one of those books to take your time over really - although I suspect you could do it quickly by using google for each of the philosophies.

Yes read it when you are not in a hurry. I loved it and actually thought about reading it again. As soon as i am done with my Masters i might pick it back up. But, reading it slowly helps. There is a lot of pretty good detail, and it is easy to miss something and then get confused. Well at least for me!! I am reading his diary currently, some entries are really good while others i have to force my way through. I think i have pretty much enjoyed all his books.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut