This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Loving Narnia of another faith...besides Christianity

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: Loving Narnia of another faith...besides Christianity

Postby Hermitess of Narnia » Dec 13, 2010 10:41 am

Berserker, the Egyptian government and its people had held the Jewish people in slavery for years. At one point the Pharaoh had ordered the murder of every Jewish baby boy. (see Exodus chapter one) The God of the Bible calls the Jewish people his children. If you were a parent, and you were the government, and someone murdered your sons, would it be right and good to let that person go free when he promised to oppress the rest of your kids even more?
Say you gave him nine miracles to show you were in charge and you told him to repent and release the rest of your living children, but he didn't?
Would anybody want you as their ruler if you didn't stop evil?

As far as why Christ didn't have his followers go to war. That is because he said, "My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." (John 18:36 kjv)

Islam is different because it tells its believers to fight all into submission to Islam. Christianity and the Bible are about proving why we should believe in it.

Berserker, you are right when you say Aslan isn't like any god, because he's a lion, he's from Lewis' imagination, and no one worships him. It comes down to who Lewis intended Aslan to represent and whether he does or not, not whether we want him to. Aslan's "not a tame lion" so we shouldn't say he's something he's not.
Hermitess of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Elvenhelm » Dec 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Well, I think Aslan is a LOT like Christ IF you remember that Christ is also God, that there is no difference. And while Jesus may not have led any wars during his 33 years of physical earthly ministry, there is spiritual warfare going on all the time between the forces of heaven and hell, and the prize is our souls. Christ defeated Satan in a similar way that Aslan defeated the White Witch, by briefly making her think he was dead while he freed whomever was enslaved in her castle, then appearing on the scene to deal the final blow (in our world, this has not happened yet, IMHO)

Of course, hell is outmatched to the point that they can't possibly win unless we surrender, which is what people often do.
"Thus Fingolfin came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came."
Elvenhelm
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Hermitess of Narnia » Dec 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Elvenhelm wrote: Christ defeated Satan in a similar way that Aslan defeated the White Witch, by briefly making her think he was dead while he freed whomever was enslaved in her castle, then appearing on the scene to deal the final blow (in our world, this has not happened yet, IMHO)

Both Christ and Aslan really died. The payment for sin would not be fulfilled unless someone paid the penalty, which was death. The important thing to remember is that they did not stay dead.

What I meant by that Aslan is not like a god was that he is God in Narnia but he is not God in our world and I myself think of Aslan as a representation of Jesus Christ because worshipping Aslan as God would be wrong in our world.
Hermitess of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby StarAsterisk » Dec 16, 2010 9:52 am

Of course you can love Narnia without being a Christian. Many do. The reason is because Lewis wrote to books FIRSTLY for entertainment. Not to make morals palatable. You may even find meaning and similarities with your religion but because Lewis was a Christian it is hard for Narnia to reach it's full potential for you if you are not Christian. That's just my opinion. May I ask what faith you are of?
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Hermitess of Narnia » Dec 16, 2010 11:54 am

I am a Christian, and don't see Aslan as representing any other religion. Sorry that I am being confusing, I mean that I shouldn't pray to Aslan, even though he is intended to represent Jesus. Sometimes, I see a painting of The Lion of Judah and think "Aslan" or see a painting of the Lamb and think "Aslan" again. C.S. Lewis once wrote a letter to someone who was having a problem with liking Aslan more than God. I will have to go find the letter...
Hermitess of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 17, 2010 7:29 pm

But God did have his followers go to war against pagan nations. The difference is that it was a call to fight for God's Truth, a call to holyiness. It wasn't used to oppress or demonise people. In modern times though, we should only go to war to fight injustice and to defend (not take land, fight for oil etc.)
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby greenbird37 » Dec 17, 2010 10:07 pm

I just love Narnia for entertainment....its very interesting to me. Its not religious for me, its just very different. I love the books, but I dont compare it with my Islamic faith in any way!
"We have nothing if not belief"
greenbird37
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Tesseract » Apr 08, 2011 8:52 pm

I am a non-believer, but I enjoy the books as well. After all, fantasy literature is based on pleasurable fantasies, such as what if magic was real? What if we could instantly travel to another world through a portal that defies the laws of physics? And so on and so forth.

To turn the tables a bit here, are Christians bothered at all by the inclusion of characters such as Bacchus and Silenus, the River God, wood spirits, tree spirits, etc? I would think not.
Tesseract

Postby StarAsterisk » Apr 08, 2011 9:32 pm

To answer Tesseract as a Christian, my response is: no I am not in the least bothered by the use of mythology- I find it very enriching. In Narnia, the use of mythological gods and such is in no way pagan or offensive to my faith.
The mythology in general allows me to see my own faith with a fresh perspective, because it is my belief that most mythologies are in some way biblically rooted, because I find so many similarities. It's fascinating, and C.S. Lewis's use of mythology is part of what makes me love his work.
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Apr 09, 2011 3:23 am

Tesseract wrote:To turn the tables a bit here, are Christians bothered at all by the inclusion of characters such as Bacchus and Silenus, the River God, wood spirits, tree spirits, etc? I would think not.

It doesn't bother me, but I know a lot of Christians who sadly are bothered by it, and avoid the books for those very reasons. :(

It would be interesting to read an analysis on the use of Pagan mythology in Narnia, whether it's wrong or right for a Christian to write or read, and why or why not. I think that would be a fascinating study...

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Kira » Apr 17, 2011 1:25 pm

To turn the tables a bit here, are Christians bothered at all by the inclusion of characters such as Bacchus and Silenus, the River God, wood spirits, tree spirits, etc? I would think not.

No, it doesn't bother me all. Personally, I've always loved reading fairytales and myths and legends.
Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am He, I am He who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
- Isaiah 46:4
Kira
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Shy Galadriel » Apr 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Actually, what Lewis did was make a subtle gesture that Bacchus and Silenus were semi-deities (similar to Tolkien's Valar) that spanned across the worlds. In other worlds, they were angelic beings granted power or status in the worlds for specific purposes. Supposedly in some worlds they would take different forms. In Narnia they took the same forms of Greece.
He was basically taking Pagan Myths and Christianizing them. Lots of people do that (Hans Christian Anderson, anyone?) and it makes reading fun. It's kind of like an easter egg for nerds. I mean historians. ;)
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Elanor » Apr 18, 2011 8:17 am

Tesseract wrote:To turn the tables a bit here, are Christians bothered at all by the inclusion of characters such as Bacchus and Silenus, the River God, wood spirits, tree spirits, etc? I would think not.

Unfortunately, I know some Christians who think Narnia is evil, because it is fantasy. They used to love the books, and then "they were shown the light, how evil it is". :P It's actually really sad . . . .
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Previous