This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Lion Awakes (upcoming film)

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: The Lion Awakes (upcoming film)

Postby wolfloversk » Apr 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Astro sent me this link earlier:
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni26088667/

I thought it was interesting... though I've never heard of these people either... thus proving my earlier point about the director.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby fantasia » Apr 18, 2012 5:11 am

Just want to say real quick that I'm pretty sure that information there wolf comes from the interview Louloudi linked to a couple posts ago. I can't get it to work myself, but it references Jude Law in the teaser text, so yeah... ;)) I thought I'd point that out in case you wanted to hear the whole interview. :) Unless, like me, you can't get it to work either. ;))

And as far as those actors go, didn't one of the screenwriters mention on FB a while back about contacting them for the role? I definitely remember hearing Tom Hardy's name come up.

(wolf, you've never heard of Jude Law?!?!? How is that possible? ;)) ;) )
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby AstroWolfD » Apr 18, 2012 8:56 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:Just want to say real quick that I'm pretty sure that information there wolf comes from the interview Louloudi linked to a couple posts ago. I can't get it to work myself, but it references Jude Law in the teaser text, so yeah... ;)) I thought I'd point that out in case you wanted to hear the whole interview. :) Unless, like me, you can't get it to work either. ;))

And here I thought it was breaking news. :p Need to check more often.

wolfloversk wrote:though I've never heard of these people either... thus proving my earlier point about the director.

Once again, same goes for me, save that I know Henry Cavill will be playing Superman in the new movie scheduled for 2013. Don't have any idea which of these actors (or any of them for that matter) would be best for the role. It'll really be interesting to see what the final decision is...
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby Aslanisthebest » Apr 27, 2012 10:37 pm

I learnt about this movie via Facebook and after seeing what it was about, seeing an interview on Narniaweb with someone from the film and what he had to say about The Lion Awakes/The Narnia films, and going to the site, I can frankly say that I'm looking forward to it. Since there's not very much news, I can't say I'm frantically counting down quite yet, but I am still looking forward to it and am mildly to very excited, especially after the teaser trailer (which I really liked) came out. It's understandable that it's probably not going to have perfect visuals or whatnot, but I think if it's a good story, I'll like it. I don't know very much about it, but after looking around on the movie's official site, here, etc, it's definitely on my "Movies I'm Waiting to See" list. It sounds like an idea with very rich potential.

So they haven't yet revealed who will play Lewis? I'm not familiar with the names on the list I saw, but I hope it's someone good who gives the role justice. Henry Cavill ... I'm not at all familiar with the Superman movies and don't know if I can envision him as C.S. Lewis after seeing a picture, but I'm not sure; I guess we'll see in some time.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Glumpuddle » May 22, 2012 8:43 am

According to the official Facebook page, Dan Stevens might play Lewis. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1405398/
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby fantasia » May 22, 2012 8:48 am

That seems like a far more likely choice to me than the big A-list actors. (No offense, but I cannot believe this production could afford Jude Law.)
Also, I kind of found it interesting that this possibility is a good deal younger than the previous mentioned actors.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » May 23, 2012 11:01 am

I have never heard of Dan Stevens, but like fk, and with all respect, I could not fathom them nailing the big-name Jude Law for this role. Also, from what I gather, the film is going to span a number of decades, so I am curious to see how they will appropriately age Stevens, if he is to be CSL, as the actor has quite a youthful look indeed. But I do hope whoever lands this role has the rich, full, booming voice Jack had. And I long for Tolkien's actor to exude that mumbly, twinkly sort of voice. Maybe these are not big issues for many, but somehow they are for me. But even more important, of course, is portraying their personalities and friendship correctly.

Are they dialoguing with Doug Gresham at all in regards to the film, we do know?
johobbit

Postby wolfloversk » May 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Actually we can scrap that idea already apparently :P

"Ah well, we can"t have Dan Stevens as he is tied up. So who to play CS Lewis as a man in his twenties/thirties?"-The Lion Awakes FB: https://www.facebook.com/TheLionAwakes

I'm wondering if they just started casting...
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 01, 2012 1:07 am

This movie sounds interesting, but what I've heard about it so far doesn't sound very promising.

We haven't heard very much, but the whole thing sounds pretty low budget. The trailer looked fan made rather than the trailer of an actual movie.

And does anyone know what it will actually be like? Is it going to be an actual drama? Or a documentary or docudrama?

Edit: I found this posted on their Facebook:

Another piece of joyous news...we are meeting with Working Title Films (yes, the biggest and most successful production company in Europe) and Icon, as well as Momentum Pictures and Universal. Please SHARE this page with as many NEW folks as possible, as we are trying to show the big boys the huge interest in this film!

That sounds promising. But if they already have the biggest and most successful production company in Europe, what do they mean by "big boys"? It doesn't sound like they would need to try to impress anyone anymore.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby narnianerd » Jul 01, 2012 1:17 am

The big boyz would involve Disney, Paramount and Warner Brothers, although Universal is right up there.

Honestly however I have not been impressed by the marketing campaign these people are running. Its very amateurish. Which of course reveals that they are amateurs. Most of their fan-company communication goes through Facebook which is okay, but they stuff the release is all wrong.

(Possibly Actors, potential production companies, stuff like that you don't reveal until you've got them nailed.)

Izzy, the fan made trailer would look fan made because that's just what it is, this entire film is fan made. :P
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jul 01, 2012 10:34 am

At this point, I really would be surprised if an A-list actor they promised would actually choose to do the project. If someone on the same level as Dan Stevens were hired, I would think that would be as good as it gets.

Films on a budget this low don't typically get big actors.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby daughter of the King » Jul 01, 2012 12:34 pm

The only reason I can think of that an A-list actor would take a role in this film is if he got to play J.R.R. Tolkien. This is the first time Tolkien has appeared as a main character in a film so the actor would get to establish the role of a famous person. I doubt it will happen though.

I do wonder if they plan to have a theatrical release. I think it would do better in film festivals.

Ithilwen wrote:The trailer looked fan made rather than the trailer of an actual movie.

I don't think it was meant to be an actual trailer. It was more of a concept trailer, intending to get people excited about the idea of the movie rather than the movie itself.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Honestly, I can't bring myself to get all that interested in this film... and that kind of bothers me, because how could a massive Lewis fan have so little interest in a movie all about him? TLA's FB page makes me question their production values, since it reads much more like a fan-run operation than a company. And while yes, it's awesome that the people in charge are also fans, in terms of PR it should be Powers that Be who also happen to be fans, not fans who also happen to be Powers that Be, if you take my meaning.

Still... we really don't know all that much about it yet. I do hope it'll start to straighten out soon, and then maybe I'll be able to sink my claws into it properly.
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnianerd » Jul 03, 2012 3:38 pm

And while yes, it's awesome that the people in charge are also fans, in terms of PR it should be Powers that Be who also happen to be fans, not fans who also happen to be Powers that Be, if you take my meaning.

Ditto, this is something we have to be wary of in the future, I hope the Gresham won't pull some totally obscure guy just out film school to direct it just because he is a huge Narnia fan. He should find someone with movie experience who happens to love Narnia, not the other way around.
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 04, 2012 2:16 am

daughter of the King wrote:I don't think it was meant to be an actual trailer. It was more of a concept trailer, intending to get people excited about the idea of the movie rather than the movie itself.

Ah, that makes much more sense, then. I think... ;)) What I mean to say is... do most producers make concept trailers to be viewed by the general public? It seems a bit odd to me and I don't remember seeing it done before by anyone else. If that's the case, it kind of makes the producer of this film look like he's trying too hard. Like the movie is second rate and needs an extra push...

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby wolfloversk » Jul 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Badger wrote:And while yes, it's awesome that the people in charge are also fans, in terms of PR it should be Powers that Be who also happen to be fans, not fans who also happen to be Powers that Be, if you take my meaning.

nn wrote:Ditto, this is something we have to be wary of in the future, I hope the Gresham won't pull some totally obscure guy just out film school to direct it just because he is a huge Narnia fan. He should find someone with movie experience who happens to love Narnia, not the other way around.

I'm gonna disagree with you guys slightly in terms of emphasis. They need to know what they're doing yes, but being will known isn't always a characteristic of that. I think it'd be nice to see somebody unknown do both this movie and Narnia, so long as they are gifted. What's important to me is that they can do the job, and do it well, not how much PR or even experience they have. Although experience would be nice, but if there's an undiscovered artist out there who can do just as good a job if not better, I say why not? Unlikely, perhaps, but not impossible ;)

I haven't seen much in terms of news recently, I hope things pull together well though. I wouldn't say I'm dying to see it, but at this point I'm interested enough to give it a try, just to see what it's like. What I'm mainly worried about is that things fall apart before it's made, and that's more for the filmmaker's sake than ours.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

PreviousNext