This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Lion Awakes (upcoming film)

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

The Lion Awakes (upcoming film)

Postby Glumpuddle » Mar 06, 2012 10:28 am

Any thoughts on the upcoming C.S. Lewis film, The Lion Awakes? It is supposed to release sometime next year. Official Facebook page.

I'm keeping an eye on it. Not sold on it just yet.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Re: The Lion Awakes (upcoming film)

Postby fantasia » Mar 06, 2012 10:57 am

Yeah, I've been watching the Facebook page too. I was really enjoying the bits of C.S. Lewis trivia they have on there. And the artwork by Bill Muck was amazing. :)

But I haven't seen much of anything as to how the movie is gonna go so I have no opinion on it as of yet.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Mar 06, 2012 11:36 am

An opinion is hard to give, since not a lot has yet been revealed, but I know Darren Jacobs is a faithful Lewis and Tolkien fan, so I'm hoping this will be a movie that doesn't stray from the true story. (Shadowlands, which was a lovely, poignant film on its own, but didn't portray the full picture, is an example of this type of deviation.)

I only hope the film is faithful to CSL's life, and I would dearly love to see an Inklings' meeting played out—the bantering, critiquing, laughing, kibitzing, vibrant discussions.

One of the scenes I am particularly looking forward to is the famous, life-changing talk on Addison's Walk. Not sure whether they're including Owen Barfield there or not ...

As fk said, Muck's artwork is amazing! But the clips of music we have heard have not particularly struck me. Good, but not compelling. That may change, though, in relation to the film, itself.

And, yes, the FB page trivia has been fun and interesting.

I am very interested to see how this develops over the months.
johobbit

Postby icarus » Mar 06, 2012 12:50 pm

Definitely not sold on it just yet either.

Without wanting to sound rude at all, from what i can tell so far, it seems to be less of a movie and more of an idea at the moment. The only thing they seem to have is a script by two unknown first time writers, and the backing of a producer who seems to be a little known TV music composer.

Perhaps if they get an experienced director, cast, or distributor on board to lend the project some credibility I might start to take some notice, but for the moment i'm not entirely convinced this well come to anything significant, let alone any optimistic thoughts of ever seeing it in any sort of cinema by next year.

But absolutely good luck to everyone involved in the project. Hopefully everything goes well for them and it will be interesting to see what they come up with. :)
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wolfloversk » Mar 06, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm keeping an eye on it as well and have been for a while. Not fully sold yet, and won't be til there's an informatic trailer, but I like what I see so far.

It's certainly something to look forward too until we get any more Narnia news...
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Lion's Emblem » Mar 06, 2012 9:44 pm

I have not heard of this film as of yet (guess I'm behind everybody else... :-$ ). I can't say one way or another on how I feel about it- good, bad, or indifferent. There's just not enough information for it yet. I will be keeping a watchful eye out though.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fantasia » Mar 09, 2012 6:37 am

Good interview glumPuddle, thanks for getting it. And if you're reading this Darren Jacobs, thanks for giving the interview! :)

This gives me a much better perspective on what the movie is going to be about and what it will entail. It's certainly going to cover an aspect of Lewis's life that I know very little about. And, as a Middle Earth fan, I'm excited to see Tolkien as well! :D

My interest level has just increased. I shall continue keeping tabs on the Facebook page. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Mar 09, 2012 6:58 am

I'm with Wolf; I won't be really interested until I see a trailer. It would be awesome to see this on the big screen though!
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Glumpuddle » Mar 11, 2012 6:14 pm

A few minutes of highlights from both screenwriters' appearances on the 'All About Jack' podcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8R1tSc2dTc&
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Glumpuddle » Mar 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Whoa. This interview inspired me to re-read Jill's conversation with Aslan by the stream in SC. I had totally forgotten about this bit:

C.S. Lewis (SC, ch. 2) wrote:[The lion] lay with its head raised and its two fore-paws out in front of it, like the lions in Trafalgar Square.

"Of course, one of the Trafalgar Square Lions will come into play to make my point, but you’ll have to see the movie." --Darren Jacobs

:)
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Reepicheep775 » Mar 12, 2012 4:32 pm

^ Oh, the building on the poster is Trafalgar Square! I hadn't even noticed.

I'm actually pretty excited for this movie. The two screenwriters sound like they understand C. S. Lewis more than any of the Narnia film-makers did. I actually own a lecture series on CD with Prof. Markos talking about C. S. Lewis.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Mar 16, 2012 7:42 pm

While this may not receive a very wide release, I am still quite excited for this.

Just recently I have been getting into more of Lewis' works outside of Narnia, and his life story.

I'll keep checking back for news. :)
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wolfloversk » Mar 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Well according to a recent FB post they expect to get some sort of a teaser up w/in 24 hrs... I wouldn't expect any film clips or quotes yet though since I'm pretty sure they haven't even started filming...

I'm speculating they'll likely explain the plot a little better and talk about WWII, and Lewis' and Tolkien's Friendship.

What I do know however is they've been asking fans if they knew any Lewis/Tolkien inspired artists, or if they were such artists themselves, who would submit some artwork for the Teaser. Perhaps not the traditional teaser trailer (at least not what I'm used to), but the artwork alone should prove to be interesting...
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Glumpuddle » Mar 17, 2012 10:54 pm

Interesting. Those appear to be images from Walden's LWW in the artwork that will be used in the trailer.
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby AstroWolfD » Mar 18, 2012 11:20 am

Definitely intrigued by by what I've been seeing about it recently.
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby Lion's Emblem » Mar 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Hmm, I'm a little more interested now after seeing the "poster" (this really caught my attention, I like it a lot) and the interview video. I also find it a big plus that those in the video really seem to know what they are talking about and that they have a passion for the project. I like learning more about C.S. Lewis and his life, but I'm not 100% on board with this movie yet (I had seen Shadowlands in the past and found it to be a terrible movie, so I'm always a bit wary).
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next