This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Lion Awakes (upcoming film)

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: The Lion Awakes (upcoming film)

Postby wolfloversk » Mar 20, 2012 5:50 am

Well the teaser is finally here :P

Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Mar 20, 2012 6:02 am

I hope it's not too disrespectful to say this. . . but that may be the worst teaser trailer I have ever seen for any filim. They used absolutely zero footage from the film, the dialogue was cheesy, and the effects looked like they could have been done by a high school digital media class.

I'm still holding out hope that this is a decent film. . . but the trailer scores a zero in my book :(
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Mar 20, 2012 6:29 am

DiGs, it's a concept trailer. They have no cast, no footage, minimal crew... I'm not even entirely sure they have a director. So yeah, a trailer comprised of concept art and historical footage was what I was expecting. ;))

Anyways, I liked all of the historical pictures and such. And it's interesting to hear from the narrator the direction they're going with the film so I have a little more of an idea on what to expect. But besides that, because it is a concept trailer, I still have no idea on how the film is going to look whenever they get around to making it, so my opinion and anticipation haven't changed much.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Mar 20, 2012 6:41 am

FK wrote:DiGs, it's a concept trailer. They have no cast, no footage, minimal crew... I'm not even entirely sure they have a director. So yeah, a trailer comprised of concept art and historical footage was what I was expecting.

If that is the case then I really don't think it should be called a teaser trailer. If they merely released this in order to build a hype or build publicity, I think there are much better ways to do it.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Mar 20, 2012 10:55 am

I agree with you DiGs. After reading through several Facebook posts it became very clear that people were really confused because they called it a teaser. Lots of panic on the quality of the movie, lots of people thinking it was a documentary instead of a movie. Kind of too bad, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it'll make much difference in whether or not people go see it.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby wolfloversk » Mar 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Problem is I'm not sure there is a name for it...

Concept Trailer? Pre-teaser trailer? Anybody have any ideas?

I must say overall I'm content... I wasn't expecting much to begin with since they haven't got a cast, but the fact that they're making such a video so early indicates they're excited about the project and I'd like to think that's a good thing.

(Plus frankly I'd say it was better than the VDT Teaser- which was made later in the production process, but that's just my opinion ;) )
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Mar 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Hmm, well, maybe the trailer didn't exactly give me goosebumps, but based off of what we have seen as just a concept trailer, the movie looks like it could be of great quality.

Look closely at the bubbles in the drawing of young C.S. Lewis, and the White Witch appears! Even though this isn't even a Narnia film, she still must have her cameo. :p
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby jillpole1 » Mar 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Can't wait for the real trailer, this was awesome! :D
NW siblings: TheDwarfMan, TheGentleWarrior
NW Cousin: Weirdo

Avvie by: RubyGamgee - Signature by: Tarkheena
jillpole1
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby icarus » Mar 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Hmm. An odd video. I'd agree with what Fantasia Kitty said in that the video is actually kind of confusing and that it makes it look more like a documentary than anything else. I wasn't particularly convinced of the movie's potential beforehand given that they don't really have much going for them beyond a script, and that video wouldn't really do much to sway my opinion on that.

I'm also kind of confused by what appears to be the central plot of the movie involving CS Lewis doing a radio broadcast during World War 2. As with any biopic, i get that they need to find an interesting hook to form the narrative around which they can base their story, rather than doing just a straight-out chronology of the person's life, however it seems to me as if they are really overplaying the significance of the BBC radio broadcasts.

That video, along the plot synopsis and such, seem to imply that CS Lewis doing a radio broadcast to the nation was some sort of defining seminal moment of World War 2 that brought an entire nation together and so on. Yet a quick scan of the internet doesn't really seem to bring up any sort of indication as to these radio broadcasts being of any significant historical importance, either in the context of World War 2 or of CS Lewis's life. It's certainly never a story i've heard as being in any way an important element of WW2 in England.

If anyone does have any background on the history of it, i'd certainly be interested to read it, but it kind of seems to me at the moment that they are over-playing it's historical significance somewhat in order to draw comparisions with The King's Speech.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wolfloversk » Mar 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Louloudi the Centaur wrote:Even though this isn't even a Narnia film, she still must have her cameo. :p

Lol... I will admit I wish they had asked specifically for art of Jill, Eustace, Bree, Reep and such... Of course, besides Aslan, they did specifically ask for the White Witch.

I guess though given it was the first book to be published it's almost bound to be more popular... unless someone manages to make the other ones into absolute classics as movies... but I am getting off topic.

Back to the topic at hand... I liked the art work, but I wish they hadn't spoiled so much of it before hand... almost all of the images were posted on FB before... Still some brilliant work though.

I liked the Lion at the end, though the animation was slightly off (the neck was too long) I won't complain, because honestly I didn't expect any sort of animation/CGI in any video made at such an early stage.

I was also surprised by the use of historical footage... I wasn't expecting it, but I thought it was a nice touch. Something to set the stage...

I think that's pretty much what the video is meant to do actually... set the stage of what is to come and give the audience (if not themselves) an idea of what they plan on doing. So maybe Concept Trailer would be a better name?

I expect we'll see a more teaser-like teaser trailer once they start filming...

Edit: I just noticed their website is finally up as well:

http://www.thelionawakes-themovie.com/
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Glumpuddle » Mar 20, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm not too impressed with the video. Not very well edited. I am confident that the people behind this movie are passionate Lewis fans who are taking the movie very seriously... But I'm not convinced the movie will be anything great at this point.

My guess is that they are hoping to attract an A-list director and/or actor to launch the production forward. Imagine if someone like David Fincher decided to direct it. That would change everything overnight. They would have an established talent, and they would certainly be able to get more money. It's probably not as crazy as it sounds since C.S. Lewis is so well known and respected around the world. The Hobbit films could be a factor too.

And....gotta say it.... I cannot believe Tilda Swinton is in this trailer. Just wow.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby wolfloversk » Mar 20, 2012 3:20 pm

glumPuddle wrote:And....gotta say it.... I cannot believe Tilda Swinton is in this trailer. Just wow.

Actually, dare I say it, I think this time it was a coincidence... Whoever made that one piece of art probably based it off the movie images since they are recent, relevant, real-looking, and really easy to find. Chances are he's seen the movie so the images were fresh in his mind and he used them as a basis.

But I doubt they intended it to look that much like Tilda... (though as I said earlier they did ask for anyone who could draw Aslan or the White Witch)

(Hopefully they can keep the WW out of any future Lewis/Tolkien related movies unless she's actually supposed to be there :P )
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Glumpuddle » Mar 20, 2012 3:53 pm

wolfloversk wrote:Actually, dare I say it, I think this time it was a coincidence...

Oh, I'm sure it was. I'm sure Bill Muck (the artist) included Tilda for the same reason he included James McAvoy. But that is, in fact, an actual image of Tilda Swinton from the movie that he used.

Touched a nerve either way. Once again, the kind of thing that has been joked about becomes real.
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby wolfloversk » Mar 20, 2012 6:42 pm

glumPuddle wrote:Touched a nerve either way. Once again, the kind of thing that has been joked about becomes real.

Too true... Maybe this year it'll be something really awesome for a change :P

Hopefully they will land a good director and some good actors... then it might turn out excellently.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby AstroWolfD » Mar 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Just got around to seeing the teaser. As everyone else has said, interesting choice of artwork to say the least! The real thing be a treat.(I hope!)
wolfloversk wrote:Hopefully they will land a good director and some good actors... then it might turn out excellently.
Hopefully. With a good director, this could be a gem.
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby Glumpuddle » Mar 24, 2012 10:14 pm

Kickstarter marketing has begun. They're asking for donations. This page also says more about the story.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the ... ion-awakes
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext