This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Aslan as a beast, Jesus as a man

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Aslan as a beast, Jesus as a man

Postby aslansothername » Sep 27, 2009 4:25 pm

Other than the part in VDT where Aslan tells Edmond that He is in our world, but that he has another name there; I love it in HHB when Aslan shows himself to Bree, and reminds him that he (Aslan) is a beast too. I would like to see what all of you take from that whole part in the book, but for me it is so neat to read how Aslan is a beast, and he humbled himself to be like others in Narnians. In the same way Christ humbled Himself, and took on the form of a servant and was made in the likeness of man. (read Phil. 2) If you need to look this part in HHB up again it is in Ch.14 How Bree Became a Wiser Horse. But praise the Lord that he loved us so much to die for us!
Want to become an informed American teen?
http://www.t4at.webs.com/
aslansothername
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Aslan as a beast, Jesus as a man

Postby EveningStar » Sep 29, 2009 9:42 am

How nice that you started this thread. We forget that someone who is truly great like Christ Jesus does not have to worry all the time about achieving status through walking a certain way, dressing a certain way, being invited to the right parties or belonging to the right clubs. Perhaps the greatest testimony of all is that Jesus was born in a stable because there was no room in the inn. It was like throwing down a challenge to the whole social order. We hard core campers in the Boy Scouts used to have an expression for that..."We slept with our head on a rock outdoors in the rain...AND WE LIKED IT!" And to be quite honest...we did.
EveningStar - Mage Scribe
Narnia Home
http://narniahome.com
EveningStar
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aslansothername » Sep 29, 2009 11:24 am

lol about the boy scout thing. =))
But it is so true how Christ did throw down the whole social order. Most of the religious Pharisees at that time were looking for a KING, but God said, "Oh really, hmmm I created everyone, and salvation is going to be for every one who accepts my gift, so I think that my Son should be born lowly, as a servant. As a LAMB to be prepared for the slaughter." (God did not say that exactly that's just my interpretation.) ;;)
Same with Aslan, while he is the king of beast, he is a beast himself.
aslansothername
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby jesusiskingofkings » Oct 30, 2009 8:05 am

This thread is great!!!

Revelation Chapter 5
5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

As you can read the Bible calls Jesus a Lion. The reason is that the Lion is a beast and yet is glorious and great. The lion represents strength, speed, beauty, and power. Jesus is all of that.

I think that the Christmas Story is the most powerful way that God can show His creativity and His, lowliness and love for us. He had to be born so that we could touch Him, and we could hold Him and love Him. Who does not love a baby? :ymhug:

The fact that He was born in a stable in a feeding trough, and then 33 years latter hung on a Roman cross is amazing, at how He would go to great lengths to save us.

Romans Chapter 5
8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

I find it so amazing how He would die for me. I am not nor was not deserving of it and yet He chose to Hebs12:1-5.

Well that’s all for now, God Bless

To Narnia and the North!!!!!!!
Heaven and earh will Pass away but My words shall never pass away. Jesus, Matthew 24:35.

"When I was a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things including the thought of being gwon-up." C.S. Lewis
jesusiskingofkings
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Fire Fairy » Nov 10, 2009 1:40 pm

I think this is a very interesting discussion. I really like the idea of Aslan being a beast in the same way that Christ was a servant. Another thing I'd like to add on Christ being a servant. I think one of the reasons the Jews had a hard time accepting Christ is because they were expecting Him to come as their Deliverer from oppression, as a King and Conquerer. What they didn't realize was that there are other scriptures that say He would come as a "meek and lowly lamb" and as a "Prince of Peace". When Christ rode into Jerusalem on a donkey, He was showing them He was coming in peace. The symbolism is actually very powerful. When a King would come to a city, He could arrive in two ways. If He wanted to arrive as a conquerer, He would ride on a white stallion. If He wanted to come in peace, He would ride on a donkey. Note that in Revelation 19:11, it says "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war." In other words, the Jews were getting their prophecies mixed up. They were expecting the Messiah of the Second Coming, the one who would deliver them from oppression, when they should have been expecting the Messiah of the First Coming, the Prince of Peace, who would deliver them from spiritual death, which is the Messiah they got.
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lady Galadriel » Nov 10, 2009 2:52 pm

jesusiskingofkings wrote: As you can read the Bible calls Jesus a Lion. The reason is that the Lion is a beast and yet is glorious and great. The lion represents strength, speed, beauty, and power. Jesus is all of that.

Check the beginning chapters of Ezekiel some time. I think it's chapter one, actually. It's a bit rusty in my mind because I haven't read there in a while, but it refers to a Lion, Ox, Eagle and Man. It's quite fascinating.

aslansothername wrote: Other than the part in VDT where Aslan tells Edmond that He is in our world, but that he has another name there; I love it in HHB when Aslan shows himself to Bree, and reminds him that he (Aslan) is a beast too. I would like to see what all of you take from that whole part in the book, but for me it is so neat to read how Aslan is a beast, and he humbled himself to be like others in Narnians.

I like Aslan being a Beast just like the Talking Narnians because it kinda shows he is one of them. I mean, Jesus became human like us, Aslan appeared as a Lion to the Narnians.

Also, Fire Fairy, I believe that the Jews were looking for a powerful King who would come into Jerusalem and conquer the Romans. If I understand you aright, we agree at that point.

Lady G.
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby aslansothername » Nov 10, 2009 3:06 pm

I really like the idea of Aslan being a beast in the same way that Christ was a servant. Another thing I'd like to add on Christ being a servant. I think one of the reasons the Jews had a hard time accepting Christ is because they were expecting Him to come as their Deliverer from oppression, as a King and Conquerer. What they didn't realize was that there are other scriptures that say He would come as a "meek and lowly lamb" and as a "Prince of Peace".

Very true about Christ in that way! (btw let me be the first to welcome you to NarniaWeb Fire Fairy!!!) Just like Bree did not think that Aslan could really be a true best, the Hebrew people did not think it possible for Messiah to come meek and lowly. When ever God gives me opportunities to witness to people of the Jewish faith I always try to point out those Old Testament passages that show Messiah as King yet servant.
aslansothername
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Fire Fairy » Nov 10, 2009 4:31 pm

Yes, Lady Galadriel, you understood what I was trying to say. I'm glad we agree on that point.

And thank you, aslansothername! You are the first to welcome me, and I appreciate it! :)

Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby 220chrisTian » Nov 10, 2009 6:00 pm

Welcome to N&C, Fire Fairy! You think aslansothername is first? I welcomed you in the "Get to know you" thread, a couple hours before. :p

And I loved what you said about the Jews mixing up their Messianic prophecies! Bible commentators and Messianic Jews point this out all the time. Just as you said, the Jews expected their Messiah to be a conquering king on a horse, someone to beat the Romans, but Jesus came as a humble servant, on a donkey. [Wow, FF!] Palm Sunday, when Jesus rode into Jerusalem, fulfilled Zechariah 9:9: "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion: shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass [donkey], and upon a colt the foal of an ass" [see Matthew 21:5]. In ancient times, the most noble and honorable among Jews were mounted on donkeys. In the East, donkeys were patient, gentle, intelligent, meek, and had great endurance. The donkey was the standard animal of peace. :)
220chrisTian

Postby Fire Fairy » Nov 10, 2009 7:05 pm

You did? Sorry about that, 220chrisTian. I haven't looked back there yet. But thank you! I think it was our deep discussion in the news articles ;) that finally convinced me to join. Besides, it was getting tiring scrolling up to the reply button and waiting for people to reply. :D And thanks for looking up that scripture. I knew it was in there somewhere, but didn't have time to look it up. :) Anyways, I look forward to future discussions!

Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DestrierDragon » Dec 23, 2009 1:28 pm

alright...I'm going to butt in on your conversation here but hey that's what forums are for right? ;)
This thread is great, it's funny, out pastor has just been doing this fascinating series called "The King of Irony" for Christmas this year, pointing out just to what great extent God went to to make sure Jesus was put as low as he could possibly become. All the things you all had hit on, the donkey, the manger, etc. he covered in detail. My personal favorite was his journey up Calvary hill, this is going to seem confusing so I hope I explain this right...
When the Romans welcomed a war general back from victory, a huge parade would bring them into the city up to the palace, celebrating his triumph, people shouting praises, dancers, and soldiers saluting. The victorious general would have behind him the general/king of the loosing country or army, whatever he had conquered.
Now look at this with Jesus, The Romans thought that the parade they gave him up to Calvary was one mocking his shame and death, but really this was the parade to Jesus' greatest victory..victory over death, and the sins of the world. The Romans thought they were mocking the end of a rebelion, but really they were ushering in an eternal revolution, the Romans thought they were killing and torturing a beaten looser, but Jesus was the victorious general, and he carried on his back the real looser, the power of death. Though the Romans thought they were heralding Jesus's death, they were heralding his greatest victory.
Anyway I thought that was really cool, and Aslan's story is so much like it, the hags/wolves spirits and forces of the witch thought they were destroying Aslan for good, but they were really only part of his victory.

One more thought...Been thinking alot about VoDT lately, (only a year left!) and this thread reminded me of when Aslan appeared as a Lamb in the end of that book. Thinking from Eustace's point of view, what he was probably expecting of Aslan was a great huge lion more glorious than any King or creature, but what he saw was a lamb. Aslan chose to show himself to Eustace not as an impressive king, but as a tiny creature. Same thing with the people of Israel, they were expecting the king and warrior in all his glory, but what they got was a human, a sacrificial LAMB. It's the most beautiful picture, that the greatest of all will humble themselves to the smallest and meekest of all. :) MERRY CHRISTMAS! :ymhug:
Are you a writer!? Visit my site for Christian writers, www.pensofglory.com as we share the hope we have in Christ, and change the world with words
DestrierDragon
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aslansothername » Dec 23, 2009 8:23 pm

DestrierDragon wrote:.
One more thought...Been thinking alot about VoDT lately, (only a year left!) and this thread reminded me of when Aslan appeared as a Lamb in the end of that book. Thinking from Eustace's point of view, what he was probably expecting of Aslan was a great huge lion more glorious than any King or creature, but what he saw was a lamb. Aslan chose to show himself to Eustace not as an impressive king, but as a tiny creature. Same thing with the people of Israel, they were expecting the king and warrior in all his glory, but what they got was a human, a sacrificial LAMB. It's the most beautiful picture, that the greatest of all will humble themselves to the smallest and meekest of all.

That is one of my favorite moments as well! When you really sit and meditate on what Christ really did, and really when through for us, it can bring me to tears some times. that is interesting about the Roman parade thing! Thanks for posting it!
aslansothername
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aravis Narnia » Dec 28, 2009 4:25 pm

In the Narnia stage play, the way they put the actor who played Aslan on the Stone Table made it look like what it was supposed to parallel- a crucifixion.

And there was a tomb- which was not in the book, but would not be changing the plot.

If I had not been wearing my contact lenses, I would have started crying cathartically.

The title of this topic reminded me of the specific changes in that stage adaptation. Almost as if it were another hint (or downright clue by four) as to Aslan's secret identity to an audience otherwise.

The only thing missing was a big Star of David on the shield that the Aslan actor was wearing on his chest. I would have preferred that.

The way Aslan clawed Aravis was definitely the way a human would attack- not the way a lion would catch prey. That, and lionesses do most of the hunting anyway. And look at how careful Aslan was to not make the scratches deep and to not hit any vital organs. Somebody knew exactly what to do. Another hint.

One possible inconsistency- felines are obligate carnivores. Humans are omnivores. So while this animal totemis otherwise in character, if Aslan were eating a mainly herbivorous diet, somebody (perhaps someone like Digory) would notice that something is out of the ordinary.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic