This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

EUSTACE SWEARS IN DAWN TREADER???

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: EUSTACE SWEARS IN DAWN TREADER???

Postby Graymouser » Oct 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Lion's Emblem wrote: I didn't think it to be something to turn up in a Narnia film. I understand the argument of it perhaps tying into Eustace's sinful background, but I highly doubt the screenwriters, if the best they can come up with is "green mist", were really thinking about such dialogue usage in Eustace's character.

Well, as has been pointed out, it and others do turn up in the Narnia books, so I'd say your quarrel is with C.S. Lewis more than the screenwriters.
The difference is that people wanted to hear the stories, whereas I never met anyone who wanted to read the essays
Graymouser
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lion's Emblem » Oct 14, 2011 9:45 pm

True Graymouser, but I always felt it was in a different context in the books and therefore did not have the same effect as was in the film. It has to be something different for me. My theory being: for all the times I've read the books, this sort of thing has never been an issue, but it's something that very clearly popped out to me in the film. There's a big difference there, even if it is just for me.

I've never had a problem with C.S. Lewis' clearly thought out way of writing, but I do have a beef with sloppy sreenwriting.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Oct 15, 2011 12:06 am

Eustace never completes the word. At the most he says 'Gaw'. I think people need to get their priorities straight and worry more about things that are really of concern than an almost-swear word.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby D-T » Oct 15, 2011 6:12 am

I agree Warrior. All the characters have some questionable words, but you just have to remember, that is the CHARACTER talking.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
D-T
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: My head is in the clouds, Im not really sure what the rest of me is doing...

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Quite so! :D It seems your average bird owner thinks it is clever to train birds such as parakeets, budgerigars, corellas, rosellas and especially galahs to say cute things like 'Polly want a cracker?'. The trouble is with galahs is that when they do talk they have an embarrassing habit of learning to say words said in many households which weren't meant for them to learn, eg swear words. :D

There was a newspaper article I read a few weeks ago, about some galahs and corellas, who had escaped captivity, then, having merged with the flocks of such birds in local parks etc, have been training other birds of their flock to talk. Are we going to go around censoring everything galahs in the wild have to say to each other and to humans?

We'd look proper galahs, that is to say, 'bird-brains', if we did that, now wouldn't we? =))

But since Eustace was seen talking to a seagull in the film, and was virtually called a 'bird-brain' by the likes of Rynelf and Tavros, we can't very well complain about any half swearword he might have been observed to have said. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Previous