This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

How does someone get into Aslans Country?

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

How does someone get into Aslans Country?

Postby aragorn2 » Jan 18, 2011 7:49 am

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but since a lot of people are complaining about Reep's line about "earning" the right to get into Aslan's Country and Caspian's line about Reep being the most deserving to get into Aslan's Country.

I do not see why these lines are a problem, I'm a christian and I know that you don't earn your way into Heaven, but through the blood of Jesus washing away our sins. But in Narnia, the people are not lost sinners in need of a savior like us, seeing as there was no savior to die for them. Aslan on the Stone Table does not count because that was for Edmund and was merely an allegory to christian truths.

So if the people are not lost sinners the only logical way to get into Aslan's Country would be through works and true belief Aslan. otherwise Aslan would simply choose out of the good people he wanted and banish the rest to who knows where.

Everything in Narnia does not have to be an exact parralell of this world, I view them as just adventure story's with many valuable truths and paralells mixed in.

I might be missing something but that is how I see it.

I would like to see other peoples take on this.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: How does someone get into Aslans Country?

Postby Ithilwen » Jan 19, 2011 1:27 am

I think they get to Aslan's Country by beliving in Aslan, and deciding to be a follower of Aslan in their hearts. Which is much like it is in our world.

The problem with the movie's version is that it made it look like Reep "deserved" to go to Heaven, because of his bravery. Which is a very worldly take on it.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby aragorn2 » Jan 20, 2011 11:47 am

Yes but it is totally obvious that Reep believes, if he had just believed and been an evil person he would not have gotten in. Works were very necessary too.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ithilwen » Jan 20, 2011 5:52 pm

^^ If you'll notice in my last post, I didn't just mention believing in Aslan. I also mentioned following Him. It is not just believing, but also (and much more importantly) deciding to be a follower of Aslan. If Reep had been evil, then he wouldn't have wanted to be a follower of Aslan.

In the books, it is deciding to be a follower of Aslan that gets you to Aslan's Country. In the movie, they just made it sound like Reep was going there because he was noble and courageous.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Bookwyrm » Jan 21, 2011 3:11 am

It wasn't just a matter of making it sound like it, they explicitly stated that Reep was getting in because he was noble. And earlier in the film he states that he hopes he can earn the right to go to Aslan's Country. Honestly, it seems almost as if they rather pettily put this in because they were thwarted in having Eustace explicitly earn his transformation back to a boy.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Dr Elwin Ransom » Jan 21, 2011 6:29 am

Hast said it well, friends Bookwyrm and Ithilwen.

And regardless of the Biblical worldview of how one gains eternal life -- for the sake of Jesus, by the way -- the changes made to the movie were directly against what was shown the Voyage book anyway.

From a column I wrote soon after seeing the film, called Fighting man-centered monsters in Christian fantasy:

Of course, Christians often accept un-Biblical notions, so it makes sense that non-Christians would even more buy into Pelagian ideas such as “look into yourself to find goodness.” Sadly that proved itself again in Dawn Treader, despite the film’s respect for Lewis in other ways.

[...] Perhaps I shouldn’t have expected non-Christians to relay Dawn Treader’s real worldview more effectively. Again, even Christians fall into emphasizing self-esteem more than God-esteem, as if we love God above ourselves but also expect Him to return that same favor in our direction.

But I can still complain, and suggest re-checking our beliefs, and not just as some legalistic or academic task. Pelagianism’s lies offend the God we love, split churches and hurt people.

Speculative Faith
Exploring epic stories for God's glory.
Blogs, guest authors, novel reviews, and features on hot fiction topics.
Dr Elwin Ransom
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus, "... and he almost deserved it."

Postby Conina » Jan 22, 2011 8:08 pm

I was bothered by Reepicheep deserving to go to Aslan's country because in the book Reepicheep chooses to go as an act of sacrifice so that the sleeping men can be awakened. Its an echo of Aslan dying in the place of Edmund. The appearance of the stone table and the knife fit with that. Having him earn his right to go, through bravery (I assume?) takes away some of the meaning for me behind his going.
"Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning." -C.S. Lewis
Conina
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby aragorn2 » Jan 22, 2011 8:42 pm

I was bothered by Reepicheep deserving to go to Aslan's country because in the book Reepicheep chooses to go as an act of sacrifice so that the sleeping men can be awakened.

No, he was already planning to go long before they ever got to RI. So it was only natural that he should be the one to stay.

In the books, it is deciding to be a follower of Aslan that gets you to Aslan's Country. In the movie, they just made it sound like Reep was going there because he was noble and courageous.

No, in the books Emeth got into Aslan's Country hating Aslan(yes, it was in ignorance but the fact remains), so the logical result is that you get into AC except by being truly "good" at the moment of death. Either that is what Lewis mean't or there is an inconsistancy.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ithilwen » Jan 22, 2011 8:53 pm

^^ That isn't how I took the example of Emeth at all. I saw it as this.
Emeth, knowing there is a good God out there, decided to follow that good God. But because he was around Calormenes, they told him that the good God was Tash. So in his heart, he was following Aslan; he just didn't have the right name because he was decieved by his family. Aslan Himself says that if Emeth had not actually been seeking Aslan, he would not have sought so long and so truly. "For all find what they truly seek." (emphasis added) So that shows that Aslan was really the one Emeth was serving in his heart -- the one Emeth decided to follow. Though it was masked by misunderstanding, his heart was in the right place -- deciding to follow Aslan.

So, he too, decided to be a follower of Aslan, and therefore still fits with the theory I gave. ;)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Conina » Jan 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Yes, there was a prophesy that he would go and he longs to be in Aslan's country. But I still think it was a sacrifice because he leaves Peepiceek in charge of the mice and leaves his sword at the world's end. His sword and his leadership of the mice are part of what defines him previously. So he is making sacrifices to go even though it is his choice to go. And his going is what reawakens the lords so...
"Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning." -C.S. Lewis
Conina
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby FoodForThought » Jan 24, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm not so sure it's believing in Aslan as it is being faithful towards Aslan. It's not so hard to believe in Aslan, because it's quite easy to tell he's there, or has been there. Like we say these days, Satan believes that there is a God, and he confesses that Jesus is the son of God.

I think it's the same way with Aslan. Everyone certainly believes in his existence in Narnia, but to get into his Country, I think that one would have to prove their faithfulness through good works, or at the very least confess of their previous wrong-doings to Aslan.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

- The Doctor.
FoodForThought
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Ithilwen » Jan 25, 2011 12:03 am

FoodForThought wrote:I'm not so sure it's believing in Aslan as it is being faithful towards Aslan. It's not so hard to believe in Aslan, because it's quite easy to tell he's there, or has been there. Like we say these days, Satan believes that there is a God, and he confesses that Jesus is the son of God.

I think it's the same way with Aslan. Everyone certainly believes in his existence in Narnia, but to get into his Country, I think that one would have to prove their faithfulness through good works, or at the very least confess of their previous wrong-doings to Aslan.

Agreed. That's why I said they have to follow Aslan, not just believe in Him. ;)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby puddleglum32 » Mar 05, 2011 7:53 pm

Yes that is a good point i think they should follow him if yu want to get to his country.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut