This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Liam Nesson: 'Aslan symbolizes all great spiritual leaders'

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: Liam Nesson: 'Aslan symbolizes all great spiritual leaders'

Postby Bookwyrm » Jan 05, 2011 9:51 am

I'm not terribly worried about what Liam Neeson thinks about Aslan's identity. At the end of the day, he's just a man sitting in a room reading off some lines in a really nice voice. He can believe Aslan represents the Jolly Green Giant and it won't affect the movie. But what Mark Johnson has to say just confirms what I've believed since PC came out. The people making these films do not agree with Lewis' worldview and if they have to diminish and downplay Aslan's divinity to make a buck, they will do so happily. Witness the fact that they've reduced Aslan to spouting Dr. Phil-esque aphorisms in VDT. Apparently to M&M and Apted, Aslan really represents those annoying self help gurus who "improve" people's lives by reciting cliched one-liners at them.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Rilian The Disenchanted » Jan 05, 2011 10:50 am

It's pretty simple. In the book and movie it is stated: 'In your world i have another name'
Not Names. Aslan is based on Jesus and no one else. To say different is foolish. As for as i know Mohammed didn't ressurect from the dead.
Rilian The Disenchanted
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ravbunneh » Jan 06, 2011 10:43 am

Rilian The Disenchanted wrote:It's pretty simple. In the book and movie it is stated: 'In your world i have another name'
Not Names. Aslan is based on Jesus and no one else. To say different is foolish. As for as i know Mohammed didn't ressurect from the dead.

I don't know. Is calling people foolish the right tone to take when they form their own opinions. I'm rather sure Mr. Nesson knows that the author wrote Aslan as Jesus. I think, rather, he was saying people could see Alsan in many things if they choose too. And that is a personal opinion of his -- one that he is free to form, right? Or are people not allowed to take life lessons from other places?

I might not be Muslim, but certainly I can read the Qur’an and take the positive messages and apply them to my own personal life. I might not be Buddist, but I can certainly take positive morals from their teachings and apply them to my personal life. And I think that is exactly what Mr. Nesson has implied.

Wouldn't we want people, even if they are not Christian, to read and apply Christian morals and values to their life. Seems like a good deal as then they better understand. Maybe too, at some point, they may even change beliefs.
ravbunneh
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby StarAsterisk » Jan 08, 2011 6:06 pm

May I just say something here? Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. EVERYONE is allowed to have an opinion, even if they are opposing to the truth. But there IS a truth to things. Opinions can be INCORRECT.

Is it being anti-open-minded to try to prove incorrect opinions wrong? No! Liam Nelson has spoken his opinion, which he believes to be truth, just as we all believe our opinions to be truth. But the Bible clearly tells shows us that there are right and wrong opinions, so even though everyone is allowed/entitled to their own opinions it doesn't mean that we, as Christians, accept them.

Now I know there are a lot of people on here who are NOT Christians, therefore you may or may not agree with my point. But I ask you: do you believe in a right way of doing things and a correct set of opinions and beliefs? If so, WHERE do they come from? Just think about that...
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Jan 09, 2011 5:33 am

^^ The point is, there's a difference between an opinion on a fact, and a choice concerning how you personally want to see the facts. Liam Neeson is in the latter category, whereas it sounds like you are more talking about the former. Liam Neeson isn't saying his opinion is what the author intended. I'm sure he already knows the author's true intentions. If he was saying that his view was also C.S. Lewis's view, then yes, that woud be incorrect. But that isn't the case.

I think Liam Neeson is just saying that's the way he is personally choosing to look at it, and the way he is personally choosing to apply it to his own life. There is no correct and incorrect when it comes to how you personally look at something. It's up to the individual. It has nothing to do with what the author originally intended.

It's like when you're listening to a song, and it reminds you of someone you know. Is the song actually written about that person you're thinking of? No, the songwriter probably didn't even know the person you're thinking of. Does that mean you are "incorrect"? Not really. Sure, it wasn't the specific person the songwriter was thinking of. But that doesn't make any difference. The song was made for our enjoyment and we can apply it in any way we like. Same with books. Same with most, if not all, types of art. That's what makes art enjoyable. If it wasn't that way -- if art had to be looked at a certain way or else you're wrong -- then I don't think it would be such a beautiful or useful thing for us.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Aravis Narnia » Jan 09, 2011 1:53 pm

If this is enough to get people from other religions, especially from very restrictive ones that cannot deal with figures from any other creed, then I will look the other way.

That, and Aslan said that good things done in the name of other deities (and I honestly consider Tash to be a minion and NOT the head honcho of the dark side) are also done in His name.

So, while not quite what C.S. Lewis had in mind, please remember that we all share the same Higher Power, and that the Great Deity sends many good people to the world as spiritual leaders.

Having said that, I do not see Muhammad's personality in Aslan so much. Siddhartha at least was more idealistic.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby StarAsterisk » Jan 10, 2011 9:38 am

Ithilwen wrote:I think Liam Neeson is just saying that's the way he is personally choosing to look at it, and the way he is personally choosing to apply it to his own life. There is no correct and incorrect when it comes to how you personally look at something. It's up to the individual. It has nothing to do with what the author originally intended.

Yes I agree. If Liam Neeson persenally chooses to view Aslan in a different way than he is intended to be viewed, that is his choice. Aslan clearly does NOT simbolize anyone other than Jesus, but if he wants to view it differently with that knowlege, that's fine.
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby kev » Jan 10, 2011 11:12 pm

It seems to be a common thing in the world today, sure you can say "Jesus" or "God" but don't honestly expect me to think they are real or that they did all those things. Aslan is a symbol, he symbolizes Jesus Christ, no other "period exclamation mark," and in the spirit of Aslan, I don't think he'd condem someone who is searching, but he probably would say, "Come know me better". It's popular to be spiritual, but not to be a "jesusfreak".

And as far as my own opionion goes, anytime a non-truth comes up the only measuring stick is the truth. The antithesis must never be allowed to be the thesis. Lilam is flat out wrong saying Aslan is some "spiritual, buddist, muslum," entity, Aslan is Jesus in this story.!
I've seen VDT 3 times!
http://kevingalemedia.com
kev
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Mischief_3lf » Jan 12, 2011 12:31 am

Well he added, "to me"... I've listened to songs that were not Christian but to me, had a very Christian message if you're looking at it from that angle.

From another of Lewis' books... "For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are." - from the Magician's Nephew.
Mischief_3lf
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Angelwings_The_Faun » Jan 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Honestly, this may have been Neeson's attempt at not offending any particular group, or likewise, not associating with any particular group.

It is obvious in the Narnian scripts that Lewis is symbolizing Jesus Christ, as there are too many parallels with the Bible to be ignored, however, it seems to me that rather than interpreting this statement as ignorance of the character on Neeson's part, perhaps it is more likely that he simply did not wish to alienate himself from or associate himself with any particular religious group. In other words, I believe this statement was meant to keep Liam neutral.
"None of this fazes us ...I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love..." Romans 8:39
Angelwings_The_Faun
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby StarAsterisk » Jan 13, 2011 8:58 pm

^^^What you say may be true, that this is Neeson's Neeson's attempt to not offend any particular group or not associate with any particular group.

Persenally, I do not comprommise speaking the truth in effort to not offend anyone. He may have had the best intentions but in my eyes this does not justify it.
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Angelwings_The_Faun » Jan 13, 2011 9:12 pm

StarAsterisk wrote:^^^What you say may be true, that this is Neeson's Neeson's attempt to not offend any particular group or not associate with any particular group.

Persenally, I do not comprommise speaking the truth in effort to not offend anyone. He may have had the best intentions but in my eyes this does not justify it.

Neither do I, but in the world of Hollywood, you have to be SUPER careful about who you call out in your interviews, because you might just lose a large chunk of your fanbase.

I'm not an actress, but I've heard from some friends who are in that business that every aspect of your life is monitored 24-7. I greatly admire actors and actresses that are outspoken Christians, because they recieve a massive amount of scrutiny for it.
"None of this fazes us ...I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love..." Romans 8:39
Angelwings_The_Faun
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Gwayne » Jan 14, 2011 8:25 am

(I was acidently logged into Gwayne's and I can't delete the post.) ~ StarAsterisk.
Sig/Avi by myself.
Gwayne
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby StarAsterisk » Jan 14, 2011 8:26 am

^^^Yes, it's very hard to be in the public eye. You have to be careful about what you say and do. But no one should compromise speaking the truth in order to keep fans. If someone does that, it may be a sign that their priorities are off. I don't mean to sound condeming, and I know that it's hard, but it's something you have to deal with for fame and glory.

Angelwings_The_Faun wrote:I greatly admire actors and actresses that are outspoken Christians, because they recieve a massive amount of scrutiny for it.

Amen to that!
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Angelwings_The_Faun » Jan 14, 2011 8:28 am

Yeah, it would be difficult for me to have every moment of my life photographed and framed for the whole world to scrutinize and pick apart.
Angelwings_The_Faun
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby StarAsterisk » Jan 14, 2011 9:11 am

Yes that's very true. Especially since often times people make up stories about them... But it is their own choice. Most of them could just fade out of the public eye, but many continue to advertise themselves to get publicity. I have to say though, it would be nice to be famous. At least you have a chance to influence a large amount of people for good.
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext