This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

An Idea about Emeth--A Biblical Parallel

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: An Idea about Emeth--A Biblical Parallel

Postby Lady Rosalia » Dec 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Wow, I had never thought about Emeth this way before! I loved that scene where he describes his meeting with Aslan, yet it always perplexed me for the above reasons stated.
I thought that perhaps Lewis was trying to get across the point that when a Christian commits an act of evil in the Name of Christ, it is really done for (and accepted by) the evil entity/ies. And that those who haven't had the opportunity to accept Christ (I agree that Emeth had probably only heard wrong things about Aslan. Think of the conversation between the Tisroc, Rabadash, and the Grand Vizier in HHB) yet have tried to honor Him will indeed have an opportunity to accept Him.
My sincere apologies for the fact that I don't have this theology figured out yet, and the above is given more as another possibility than my position on the subject :)
"Not all that is called progress moves us forward." - H.K. Ward
"Aslan's instructions always work, there are no exceptions."
-Puddleglum
Lady Rosalia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby King_Erlian » Jan 21, 2013 3:22 am

If one thinks of Narnia not so much as "the Kingdom of Christianity" but more like the nation of Israel - God's "chosen land" within a particular world - then one could regard the story of Emeth as mirroring that of Cornelius in the Acts of the Apostles. Cornelius was not only a Gentile, but even worse, a Roman centurion, an officer in the oppressing military force; yet God showed that he loved and accepted him by filling him with the Holy Spirit.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby parableproductions » Jan 21, 2013 2:47 pm

That's a very good analogy King_Erlian! I hadn't thought of that one before.
Further up and further in!!
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Eustace » Jan 22, 2013 5:09 pm

I think I have heard someone mention this before, but I don't really think the point was that Emeth was there. I think the point was that Emeth was seeking for Aslan, he truly was seeking the truth and he found it. In an unlikely spot as well. I have always found this to be some what troubling but, if this was Jack's point to say if we seek we will find, I do not really mind that. I think maybe our focus is all wrong and maybe, he was just trying to use this as an illustration to point out other small things that could deal with certain theology that is hard to figure out.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Slatts » Mar 06, 2013 3:35 pm

It is certainly possible for the Magi to have been gentiles. Some rightly wondered why they would care about Jewish prophecy, but the assumption was wrong. They cared about the prophecy of Balaam, who was not a Israelite. It was Balaam who spoke of a star rising in Judah and a scepter would come from that star. In the oral traditions of the ancient near-east, it would not have been uncommon for that prophecy to continue.

Is Emeth like the Magi? In the most important way yes. His salvation would come from his seeking (all who seek find). I loved this character in the book and I am glad Lewis put it in there.
Short Story Sculptor Blog:
Bedtime Stories and Fairytales
Slatts
NarniaWeb Newbie

Previous