This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Christian message from Narnia?

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: Favorite Christian message from Narnia?

Postby Valiant » Dec 17, 2010 2:58 pm

AnnasStar2010, Of course! How can we forget that one! It connects Aslan with the reader in an even more intimate way!

i always wondered how the Pevensies did find him in our world. All of them besides Susan obviously did. :)
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lilygloves » Dec 19, 2010 10:59 pm

I also love the scene with Puddleglum. Even if there is no God, I stand by Him. And if my faith is silly, it doesn't hurt me. It makes me happier than if I had no faith in a loving God. And I love the part where Aslan reveals himself to Shasta. It shows how God always has a perfect plan for us even if we don't see it. Shasta's life was perfectly orchestrated to work for the best. I get chills when I read that part.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby moo25 » Dec 27, 2010 7:39 am

I've always loved the scene where Puddleglum stands up to the Lady of the Green Kirtle. It's always identified with me the most, especially when I was struggling with my faith. I agree with him in that even if there is no God I still live my life as if there is, because a world without Him is so much bleaker.
There are so many other beautiful moments in the series, and I seem to find more of them every time I read them. All of the ones mentioned here are wonderful :)
I stand with the Lord at my side, always.
For Narnia and the North!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

moo25
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Queen Emmie » Dec 27, 2010 9:27 am

Hmm.... there are so many wonderful parallels! I'd have to say one of my favorites is what you mentioned, Valiant-- the scene with Puddleglum and the LotGK. So powerful!!

I also love the "Courage, dear heart" scene and am disappointed that it's not in the movie. That line has come to me several times when I felt like life was so dark and scary.... God is with us, even in the dark, and He will lead us out.

Eustace's redemption is wonderful too.

OH! And in the movie when Aslan says "It is finished". I don't remember if that's in the book or not, as it's been a while since I read it.

"Lucy, have you seen this ship before?"
"Yes! It's very Narnian-looking, isn't it?"
Queen Emmie
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Andrew » Mar 15, 2011 7:32 am

I like the concept of "deeper magic from before the dawn of time." What is it that binds Aslan to its laws, what force is so powerful even he cannot overcome it?
5.9.2011 the day Christ saved me!

Thank you Lady Faith for the sig!
Andrew
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 16, 2011 4:57 am

^^ I think that the deep magic was something the Emperor Over the Sea put into place. He was Aslan's father, after all. ;)

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Tesseract » Mar 16, 2011 11:46 am

Ithilwen wrote:^^ I think that the deep magic was something the Emperor Over the Sea put into place. He was Aslan's father, after all. ;)

That would mean that Aslan is not omnipotent, and less powerful than the Emperor Over the Sea. Is that the case?

God was Jesus's father, but Christians don't view one as being more powerful than the other.
Tesseract

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 17, 2011 2:07 am

^^ I could be wrong about this, but as far as I know, the Christians I've met believed God was more powerful than Jesus. At least, during the temporary time Jesus was on Earth... Not 100% sure though.

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fledge1 » Mar 17, 2011 2:36 pm

WOW! I have LOTS. Eustace being turned back into a human was great. I think my favorite one was at the end of Voyage. When Lucy and Aslan were talking......
“It isnt Narnia, you know,” sobbed Lucy. “It’s you. WE shant meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?”
“But you shall meet me, dear one,” said Aslan.
“Are-are you there too, Sir?” Edmund
“I am” said Aslan. “But there I have another name. YOu must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.

Gives me chills everytime...
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Tesseract » Mar 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Ithilwen wrote: but as far as I know, the Christians I've met believed God was more powerful than Jesus.

As far as I know, Christians view Jesus and God as part of the "trinity", which is three persons in one divine Being. Since Christianity is a monogamous religion, and Jesus and God are both referred to as the divine being, I don't see how one could be more powerful than the other.
Tesseract

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Tesseract wrote:
Ithilwen wrote: but as far as I know, the Christians I've met believed God was more powerful than Jesus.

As far as I know, Christians view Jesus and God as part of the "trinity", which is three persons in one divine Being. Since Christianity is a monogamous religion, and Jesus and God are both referred to as the divine being, I don't see how one could be more powerful than the other.

Yes, they are three seperate parts of one whole being. But keep in mind that Jesus was taking a temporary human form while he was on earth, and even admitted that during that time, he did not know as much as the Father did. Even though there is a one-ness among the Three, there is also a seperation. And the fact that he was in a temporary human form also caused a bit of difference in the situation.

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 18, 2011 1:40 am

St Patrick, whose day is famously March 17th, that is to say yesterday according to Aussie time, famously explained the Holy Trinity as something like the Irish shamrock. That is to say, like a leaf with three lobes. He held up a shamrock, with its tripartite leaf formation to explain how the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost still remained the same person.

But then the Apostle's creed, the Nicene creed and the Athanasian Creed also address this point. I can also see this threefold persona as somewhat similar to the different 'hats' people wear throughout life. For example, I go to work and as such am an agent like the Holy Ghost, so long as I do my work well. But I am also a parent and the child of someone else. Just as we have God the Father and God the Son.

Can anyone think of a better explanation of the Trinity?

Tesseract wrote:Since Christianity is a monogamous religion, and Jesus and God are both referred to as the divine being, I don't see how one could be more powerful than the other.

I know what you are trying to say, but I think the word you meant was monotheistic not monogamous. Mono is an English prefix derived from the Greek which means 'single'. 'Gamous' is the suffix used in relationship with marriage and women in particular, eg Polygamy and Bigamy, meaning many wives and two wives. Theism, by contrast, is to do with God and belief.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Tesseract » Mar 18, 2011 6:34 am

Whoops! Yes, you are right, waggawerewolf27, I meant to say monotheistic. I mistyped. :ymblushing:
Tesseract

Postby Narnia_Fan12 » Mar 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Yes, they are three seperate parts of one whole being. But keep in mind that Jesus was taking a temporary human form while he was on earth, and even admitted that during that time, he did not know as much as the Father did. Even though there is a one-ness among the Three, there is also a seperation. And the fact that he was in a temporary human form also caused a bit of difference in the situation.

No- Jesus, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit are all one. Jesus knew all. Jesus /did/ take a human form on earth, but that didn't affect his knowledge of all things past, present, and future. If it had, how would he know that Judas was going to turn him in before the fact?

In this old movie I watched, about St. Joseph of Cupertino (I think), Joseph used "One blanket, three folds" to explain the trinity.

My favorite Christian message from Narnia... woah, there are many. There are four in particular that I like.

1). The Magician's Nephew: the creation of Narnia. It parallels our world's creation somewhat- and every time I read how Lewis described it--- it is really, really moving to me.

2). The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: Aslan's sacrifice and resurrection. 'Nuff said.

3). The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- Aslan's great reveal: Aslan is Jesus. This is one of my favorite scenes in the series.

4). the Last Battle: The whole book. It's so... entrancing, and scary. I can't really describe it at all.
Narnia_Fan12
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Graymouser » Mar 19, 2011 12:07 am

I was once told by a Christadelphian that the theology of Narnia was Arian, rather than orthodox Christian trinitarianism (even though Lewis was of course an orthodox Christian.)

Aslan is clearly subordinate to the Emperor-Over-The-Sea, Aslan is the Creator of Narnia, and the Spirit emanates from him in the form of his breath.

The letter of Auxentius,[8] a 4th-century Arian bishop of Milan, regarding the missionary Ulfilas, gives the clearest picture of Arian beliefs on the nature of the Trinity: God the Father ("unbegotten"), always existing, was separate from the lesser Jesus Christ ("only-begotten"), born before time began and creator of the world. The Father, working through the Son, created the Holy Spirit, who was subservient to the Son as the Son was to the Father. The Father was seen as "the only true God". First Corinthians 8:5-8:6 was cited as proof text.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism
The difference is that people wanted to hear the stories, whereas I never met anyone who wanted to read the essays
Graymouser
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 19, 2011 4:45 am

Narnia_Fan12 wrote:No- Jesus, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit are all one. Jesus knew all. Jesus /did/ take a human form on earth, but that didn't affect his knowledge of all things past, present, and future. If it had, how would he know that Judas was going to turn him in before the fact? In this old movie I watched, about St. Joseph of Cupertino (I think), Joseph used "One blanket, three folds" to explain the trinity.

I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying, 12. I'm saying basically the same thing as St. Joseph. He said three folds of one blanket. I said three parts of one being. I even stated in one of my posts that I agreed they were One.

But, although Jesus did know many things divinely, He didn't know as much as the Father. Such as, say... the day the world would end. They are One, but there is still a level of seperation at the same time. After all, if they were not seperate at all, it would have been a little difficult for Jesus to say, "The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me." in John 14:10. If God and Jesus were exactly the same, no difference whatsoever, then He could say that the words were His own. But there are times when He credits things to His father and not to Himself. ;)

Plus, if there was not at least some seperation, then we wouldn't say three parts of one blanket. We would just say one blanket.

Also in Genesis 1:26A, it says, "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image..."" (bold added by me), which shows it is plural. If there was no seperation at all, it would read 'Let Me make man in My image'.

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext