This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Following Aslan (PC)

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Following Aslan (PC)

Postby AnnasStar2010 » Aug 24, 2010 3:31 pm

I was just reading in Prince Caspian when Lucy leads the others where Aslan wants them since he is invisible to them. I was thinking how that can be thought of as Christians leading others by their example though they may not believe in Jesus, that he's really there. They may follow our example because they trust or look up to us or even because they see that we are happier. This is just another reason to be careful what we say and do as we may be the only Jesus others see :) Just thought I'd share.

AnnasStar2010

Thanks to Shastafan for the Signature and thanks to lizzyhenley009 for the avatar.
AnnasStar2010
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Following Aslan (PC)

Postby Ithilwen » Aug 28, 2010 3:47 am

Very cool idea!
It could even be a witness to fellow Christians and not just non-Christians, the way she was also leading Peter and Edmund, who were also followers of Aslan. Like Lucy, we could start taking our faith more seriously, and encourage others to do so. A lot of Christians I know have only a luke-warm faith.
Good idea! :D
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby AnnasStar2010 » Aug 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Definitely! thanks for the reply :D

Thanks to Shastafan for the Signature and thanks to lizzyhenley009 for the avatar.
AnnasStar2010
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aslans-mane » Sep 10, 2010 6:23 am

ya.
Aslan=Jesus
White Witch=Satan
The Pevencies=the children of God
The white witches helpers=demons
Aslan's helpers=the children of God

It all makes sense! :)
signature by A_Narnian_Ship
Aslans-mane
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Ithilwen » Sep 12, 2010 12:05 am

Aslans-mane wrote:ya.
Aslan=Jesus
White Witch=Satan

If the White Witch equals Satan, what does the Lady of the Green Kirtle or Tash equal? :D

Sometimes I wonder if C.S. Lewis meant Tash to equal Allah, since the Calormenes are so much like people in Arabian countries. Plus, a lot of people are saying "God and Allah are one" lately, just as they said "Aslan and Tash are one" in LB.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby beloved » Sep 13, 2010 10:10 am

I think that's a very good point Eustace+Jill, I reminds me of something said in the Screwtape Letters. Screwtape is telling Wormwood how the "Enemy" has a huge advantage by having once been human and they haven't. The white witch, Tash, they are only agents of Satan.
There are a lot of things I love about the scene where Lucy must follow Aslan, even alone. It starts with her own conversation with him, a prayer in analogy, to give her strength and courage. Then she goes on to proclaim the truth, even though she knows they won't like it. There is one single line that is my favorite in all this; its the one where Lucy thinks of all the nasty things she would say to Susan but she forgets them all when she set her eyes on Aslan. It will do no one any good if we follow Aslan without looking to him for the power to forgive others as we have been forgiven. Last, but certainly not Least, Lucy follows him unreservedly, even when she sees him apear to go off the edge of a cliff, she follows, even when he steps across stones in a rushing river, she follows. She is the example to her brothers and sister as we should be the example to ours.
"Let no one look down on your youthfulness but be in example in speech, conduct, love, and purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

"And this marvel of all marvels, that he called me Beloved, me who am but as a dog-"     -Emeth
beloved
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AnnasStar2010 » Sep 13, 2010 3:03 pm

beloved, Thank you so much for sharing! I absolutely love reading these books again and seeing all the little things that are parallels to the real world. I also love that verse 1Timothy 4:12 it is the verse written on the inside of my purity ring.
Also, I relate to Susan and her fear of being taken away from this place she loves. She wants to be sure that this joy is going to be forever and not just a thing of the moment. With that fear she sometimes can only see the future and what might happen and therefore misses out on the beauty of the moment. Though Susan is my favorite girl I hope to be more like Lucy who is willing to follow Aslan with the firm belief that whatever happen it will be for the best. :)

AnnasStar2010
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aragorn2 » Sep 27, 2010 6:39 am

I like how they kept in the movie the scene, where Lucy say's "I knew it was you, but the others didn't believe me." and Aslan says "But why should that have stopped you?" that is my favorite christian part of the book.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Oct 02, 2010 9:44 am

yes I always thought of that bit in the book that way! :) it's so cool when Edmund finally sees Aslan!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby AnnasStar2010 » Oct 11, 2010 5:50 am

I like how Edmund is on Lucy's side even though he can't see Aslan....not only at the tie when they are following Aslan but before when Lucy says she saw him. :D

AnnasStar2010
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Illeana » Oct 13, 2010 2:07 am

Eustace+Jill wrote:
Aslans-mane wrote:ya.
Aslan=Jesus
White Witch=Satan

If the White Witch equals Satan, what does the Lady of the Green Kirtle or Tash equal? :D

Sometimes I wonder if C.S. Lewis meant Tash to equal Allah, since the Calormenes are so much like people in Arabian countries. Plus, a lot of people are saying "God and Allah are one" lately, just as they said "Aslan and Tash are one" in LB.

~Riella

I think, that with the Lady Of the Green Kirtle and Tash, Lewis was trying to convey that Satan can go by many names, but underneath he's still - Satan. You know, the Lady of the Green Kirtle turned into a serpent - the serpent that Satan was when he lured Eve in eating the apple. And the Lady Of the Green Kirtle was also 'temptation' to Prince Rillian. Just a few thoughts... :)
Thank you, flambeau, for my loverly avatar! *hugs it* :) And thank you, Starsy, for my wonderful siggie! :) (Thanks to Rising_Star for correcting me about the sig :D)
Illeana
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Nov 04, 2010 1:20 am

Sometimes, people have doubts, including their faith. I admit, I did once, but never wanted to do it again. I think it's nice to have someone leading you instead of none. The one who is leading me are the priests. Whenever they discuss the gospel, and they relate it to real life, I go like, "Yeah, that's right. Why didn't I think of that? Silly me,". I feel guilty of doubting my faith. I am just glad that praying relieves me a lot.

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby skilletfreak291 » Sep 13, 2011 12:31 pm

i agree with sandyentersNarnia ;)
Christmas is Coming so soon
[b]but we know the True Reason for the season
skilletfreak291
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lilygloves » Sep 21, 2011 7:20 pm

I like how in the movie they have to take it on faith that Lucy was telling the truth, but in the book there is even more faith. In the movie, they try one way, it doesn't work, so thy try Lucy's way. But in the book, they try one way, it doesn't work, they go back to try Lucy's way, and then Aslan appears. I think Lewis purposefully had him arrive not during the day when they would normally travel, but in the middle of the night. Most people wouldn't get up in the middle of the night because their little sister said a lion that you can't see told you to. They had to completely trust Aslan in a new way because he had never been invisible to them before. They didn't understand why he was doing that, but they had to trust that Lucy knew what she was doing and that Aslan was really there.
(Side note: I believe that in the beginning, Lucy is the first to feel the magic "pinchings", then Edmund, then Peter, then Susan. Parallel to the order they see Aslan, it parallels to their faith in him.)
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnialuver » Nov 06, 2011 7:05 am

they did not follow so i'm not sure Lewis meant that but I't a good idea

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012
narnialuver
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Nov 06, 2011 11:43 am

Lucy in PC is a great example for Christians to follow if you ask me, both book and film. :)

When the other Narnians and Pevensies, especially Peter and Susan, doubted that Aslan was there still, and had given up on Him coming, Lucy still had hope that He was there, as she even had seen Him before the others had. She persistently kept convincing her siblings and Trumpkin to follow after Aslan when she was the only one to see Him. They followed, and they found Him, and saw the Lion Himself, and Narnia was saved.

I think this is a great message to Christians about following Jesus in this world. When bad things have happened, we doubt our faith, and others ridicule us when we follow something that they can't see. However, when we have faith, and persist on, we shall find what we are looking for, and we all know what that is. :)
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next