This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Aravis and Lasaraleen lineart

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Aravis and Lasaraleen lineart

Postby Mehinen » Sep 03, 2015 3:22 am

There is a short story behing this drawing. I got interested in the current trend of coloring books for adults, but the pictures in them are not quite to my taste: flowers, lots of tiny details and repetitive images (at least in the couple I have browsed). Then, I had a look at children's coloring books, and they were far too simple. There was nothing for it, I had to make my own black-and-white lineart for coloring. My fingers were yesterday itching to try my new black marker, so I used a couple of hours to sketch this. It's not exactly of top quality, as I couldn't get fine details on a small picture with the marker and didn't plan the light conditions enough (the shadows are not quite right, if you look carefully). Also, now the shadows are the same color as all the lines and the result looks somewhat confusing.

So, here's Lasaraleen and Aravis at the watergate in Tashbaan!

Click here to see the full-size image
My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Aravis and Lasaraleen lineart

Postby coracle » Sep 04, 2015 12:05 am

Ooh, lovely! My hands are itching to start colouring in.
I couldn't tell what was on Aravis's face until I had the big version - but it's beautifully done. :)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Anfinwen » Sep 05, 2015 11:52 am

Oh I love it! What a great idea! And I agree with you about the adult coloring books. I received one as a gift, and it's so tedious. I feel like I'm straining my eyes!
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Mehinen » Jul 29, 2016 10:32 am

Coracle: Yes, the marker was a bit too wide for some parts of this, especially faces, but I'm glad to hear that it was clearer on the larger version :) . Thank you!

Anfinwen: Thank you! It's nice to know that others, too, find most of the coloring books a little frustating. I'd like to make more of these, but making the black-and-white lineart isn't exactly easy for me, I prefer paintings with highligts and shadows.
My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Pretzel » Aug 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Oooh ooh. I like this one more. It's beautiful. Good job. I hope you do more Narnia art.
Pretzel
NarniaWeb Regular