This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Lantern Waste

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

The Lantern Waste

Postby Mehinen » Oct 22, 2013 11:54 am

It's been a while since I last posted here, but here is the lamp-post in Lantern Waste. I used acrylic paint on a sort of canvas.

(To tell the truth, it wasn't supposed to be the lamp-post, but I think it looked somehow very Narnian and wanted to share it with you all.)
My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: The Lantern Waste

Postby AslansChild » Oct 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Oh, that's really nice Mehinen! Did you have a real lampost to model after, or just freestyle? It's really nice, I like it alot, escpecially how the colors of the trees just blend into one another. May I ask how long you've been painting, and what kind of a canvas did you use? (You had said a "sort of" canvas...I wasn't sure what that meant. :) )
"...when my heart is overwhwlemed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."
-Pslam 61:2
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnian1 » Oct 24, 2013 7:01 pm

That is a very beautiful picture. Might not have been originally intended to be THE lamp-post but it sure looks good, and works for me as if it were the "real" thing. ;)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Mehinen » Oct 25, 2013 5:46 am

AslansChild: Thank you, I'm glad you like the colours! No, I didn't use any kind of reference, just tried to remember what modern lamp-posts look like and then un-modern it a bit. As to how long I have been painting, well, this kind of paintings for about three and a half years (acrylics on canvas) and other kinds of art for nearly all my life. :D The canvas is a bit difficult to describe, it's like a sketch pad with A3 size canvas instead, so you can just tear the canvas from it, tape it on a hard surface and start painting. The pad doesn't anymore have any kind of text on it, so I have no idea what the canvas is made of (or even if it is canvas and not thick paper with canvas-like texture! but no, I think it really is canvas...).

narnian1: Thanks! I'm happy to hear that you like it (and think it like THE lamp-post!). :D
My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 30, 2013 11:32 pm

It's beautiful, and it really has a magical look to it. I love the colors of the trees and the glint of light on the snow ground. Also very life like in a way where I wish I can jump right into it. Great job! :ymapplause:
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby jewel » Jun 04, 2014 7:31 am

Nice picture! It looks mysterious.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Oh wow. That's beautiful, Mehinen! I love how the scene is set in evening/dusk, with the branches of the trees softly lit by the light of the lamp. What a lovely, relaxing, thoughtful-looking painting. :ymapplause: It almost looks as though it were waiting for the Pevensies to stumble upon it, all grown up. :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad