This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Entrance to Narnia, Wardrobe

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Entrance to Narnia, Wardrobe

Postby 8SilverSky » Mar 27, 2012 11:07 am

Hey everyone,
I did another school assignment for which we had to take the description of a book and create a painting out of it. I chose the spare room from LWW, and I had a lot of fun with the assignment. If anyone is interested, here's a link to my blog with the finished painting and the concept studies I did before-hand :)

http://mey-me.blogspot.ca/2012/03/entra ... uache.html
8SilverSky
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Entrance to Narnia, Wardrobe

Postby flambeau » Mar 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Oh wow! That is excellently done, 8SilverSky!
The thing that struck me first about this piece was the color scheme; the bluish lighting coming from the wardrobe gives an otherworldly contrast to the drab brown tones of the room, and I think it looks awesome! Anther thing: the rafters! I love how you used them to provide some visual interest, and to highlight the unique angle and perspective! The overall detailing is just wonderful; the spiderwebs give off a feeling of neglect, and also.... do I spy the mothballs on the floor in front of the wardrobe? Yay! :D
I love this whole piece; the coloring, lighting, and angle all give off a great feeling of mystery and wonder, and definitely capture the description from the book. It's not exactly as I imagined the Spare Oom might look, but at the same time it's also instantly recognizable as the room where the adventures in Narnia all began. Excellent work! :ymapplause:

--- flambeau
"It. Doesn't. Have. To. Match."

President of the Manalive Conspiracy
Founder of Team Hoodie
Icon by me
flambeau
Moderator Emeritus
A Concerned Third Party

Postby 7chronicles » May 14, 2012 2:34 am

I've ment to comment on this wonderful painting since it was first posted, but having no computer delayed me, sorry for the delay!

8SilverSky this is a beautiful painting!!! :D
The lighting and perspective makes it very unique! I love how the light shines out from the wardrobe on to the opposite wall!
A wonderful job well done!!!! :ymapplause:
And I also love how you show the steps you took to create this great piece of art! :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » May 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Gorgeous! :ymapplause: You're a fantastic artist. I love the final one and both the studies. The coloring is beautiful, I love the perspective of showing the rafters, and the pictures look very realistic overall. great job! :-bd

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Djaq » May 24, 2012 12:18 pm

I almost don't want to post a comment for fear of completely dittoing what flam said, but I'll try anyway. ;))
This is seriously beautiful. Things I love: The angles of the rafters, the dark shadows, and the texture throughout the piece. The blue light coming from the wardrobe suggests the cold and snow of Winter, which is perfect. I think you did a wonderful job coming up with this design, and it was executed beautifully. :D

~Djaq
When things fall apart, be glue.

Team Hoodie!!
Djaq
Moderator Emeritus
Djaq Of All Trades

Postby Hermitess of Narnia » May 31, 2012 5:04 pm

Wonderful lighting. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the wardrobe from the perspective of the rafters. I also like your technique with the gouache.
Hermitess of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby 8SilverSky » Jul 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Oh man, sorry guys, I haven't been on Narniaweb for a while, but wow! Thanks for all your amazing comments! It's always very nice to hear such things, and it's what keeps me going, so a huge thank you!

flambeau wrote:...do I spy the mothballs on the floor in front of the wardrobe? Yay! :D...

Indeed, I like how you noticed that, haha!

I did a Narnia colour study from VDT earlier this summer. Basically I copied the general colours of a screen-shot just to practice analyzing colours. Here it is, in case you guys are interested:
http://mey-me.blogspot.ca/2012/05/narni ... ctice.html
8SilverSky
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Quinlin » Aug 14, 2012 2:05 pm

I know it's been ages, but this is amazing, 8SilverSky! :D First of all, I love how you showed both the final painting and all of the rough sketch drawings you did to pan it out. It's interesting to see the colors gradually emerge from the shaded black and white drawings. I very much like the double image where two color schemes are shown with both the turquoise and the gold light spilling out from the doorway. Personally, they are my favorites because I absolutely love the blurry, almost watercolor appearance seamlessly bringing the colors together. The way the stream of light radiates across the the wooden beams is absolutely beautiful. The final one is of course also marvelous and as flambeau pointed out I also like the touch of the mothballs. :) It looks like this painting came straight from the official Narnian concept art that is released with the movies and it very much resembles how I always imagined the doorway to Narnia to appear. Keep it up, you are very talented! :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Also, I checked out the color painting you posted of the final scene with Aslan from VDT. It's definitely an interesting concept and it has a very unique appearance when you add on to the hues of the original image. The waves are my favorite aspect; the variety of flowing blue and turquoise tones is spectacular, especially on the tall crest towards the right side of the painting. Lucy and Eustace have very nice color outlines as well and look very much like they were painted completely with a brush. I'm glad you shared this as well! :)
I've Been to Narnia!
'I can still hear the hoofbeats in my heart'
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub

Postby Sheroo of Stormness Head » Aug 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Wait...you painted the picture from VDT???? Seriously? It's. Fantastic. It looks like you took the screenshot and used a special effect from Photoshop! Superb job!

You're quite an artist! Keep up the great work!

~Sheroo
Sheroo of Stormness Head
NarniaWeb Nut