This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Two Naiads

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Two Naiads

Postby Mehinen » Oct 06, 2011 9:07 am

Here's my vision what the Narnian naiads look like. There was supposed to be a third, also, but as I don't have a clue what would a river dryad look like, there are just these two. The dark-haired one is supposed to be a lake dryad and the silver-haired a sea dryad.

My goal was to make their coloration and dresses look like they were made from the kind of water in which they live, while keeping them still human-looking.

I personally prefer the sea one, but comments and criticism are welcome :) .
My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Two Naiads

Postby Elanor » Oct 06, 2011 9:49 am

Ooh, those both are really impressive - you have a great talent! I think I like the sea one too, I love how she blends into the sea like that. Excellent job!! :ymhug:
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Djaq » Oct 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Wonderful job on both of these, Mehinen! Bravo! :D I also like the sea one best, but they are both very well done. I love how the sea naiad really looks like she's part of the water (with her 'skirt' flowing into the waves). Great job capturing the colors and the different tones of the water. Oh, and I love the dark hair on the lake naiad! :)

I really enjoyed seeing these! Keep up the fabulous work! :D

~Djaq
When things fall apart, be glue.

Team Hoodie!!
Djaq
Moderator Emeritus
Djaq Of All Trades

Postby Quinlin » Oct 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Lovely work, Mehinen! :) I can't decide which one I like better, but I have to say I really like the soft watercolors on the sea one! It's so simple, yet so alive and happy. You captured such a gentleness in her face as she looks out into the horizon. I absolutely love the way her long dress falls and flows right into the ocean. The merging tones of the sky and waves create such a peaceful effect.

The forest one is wonderful too. The darker and more woodlandy tones look striking for the backdrop you chose to draw her in. You drew the waterfall so nicely that it appears the water is actually moving. I like how the naiad's dress matches the royal blue colors of the water and I think it's neat that you gave her black hair. The overall softness and flowing tones for both of them are beautiful and really represent the gentle characters of the naiads.

You did a wonderful job on this! :ymapplause:
I've Been to Narnia!
'I can still hear the hoofbeats in my heart'
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub

Postby Meltintalle » Oct 20, 2011 3:16 pm

The sea naiad is amazing, Mehinen. She really does seem to be part of the water, just in the form of a person. :)

The forest naiad is done in the same way, but somehow it doesn't feel as organic. In my opinion, this is because the first set of falls is too blue; from what I remember of photographs of various waterfalls, there's more white in it, the way you did the lower set.

On the other hand, it looks lovely just the way it is! (Did you do a forest naiad before? It seems to me that you've done other pieces with that theme...)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Mehinen » Oct 21, 2011 4:05 am

Elanor: Thank you! It's nice to know that trying to make her look like part of the sea succeeded. :)

Djaq: Thank you, I'm glad that you like the dark hair! The first version had bluish hair, but she looked far too cold and cruel with it so I had to change the colours. :D

Quinlin: Watercolors? It's possible it was digital water colour, I can't remember. But both pictures are done with computer :D . Thank you for the comments!

Meltintalle: Yes, this is a sort of series that started with the holly dryad, perhaps you remembered that one? You are right about the water, this picture is well over half a year old, and I've just recently learnt that the water must reflect surrounding colours, and that there times when you can't use blue. It would be interesting to try change that waterfall into something green and white... Thank you! :)
My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Katana » Nov 12, 2011 5:43 pm

good job! really well done, i love the colors :)
Im not inactive just very very busy
-Katana, Member of the Midnight Society, Weapons afficionado of the castle of Ivory&Gold, esteemed owner of a flying pickle
Katana
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Sitting on a sunny windowsill in the back hallway reading a book

Postby Lion's Emblem » Nov 12, 2011 10:38 pm

A nice pair of illustrations Mehinen. I agree, I enjoy the 'sea version' much more than the 'lake'. Mainly because the 'sea' feels more like a naiad, the way her dress is more like water than cloth. But, let me get more into that:

The blending between water and clothing is superb. This really helps to push the idea that she is from the sea (and not human). Coloration does help this idea in the second piece, but it doesn't come off quite as strong. I'm not sure why, but I really like the simplicity of the first piece and the use of the extra negative space in the sky (hmm, could it be that the naiad is reflecting out at the sea and therefore, as the viewer, I'm doing my own reflecting on the piece? :) ). As for proportions, the first naiad seems to be growing too long in the arms. Everything else looks alright at further glance. Another note, the lake naiad seems a little wonky in the gesture, maybe she's just a little too stiff. As another minor note, and this is certainly subjective, I'm not sure on the white skin tone on the first naiad. Now, I'm not a naiad expert, but I would like to see a little more blue or clearness to her tone (blue, to reflect the light off the waves or a clear to be like water). But, again, it's subjective.

Nice work on both Mehinen :ymapplause: . I always enjoy your technique and style that you use in your pieces :) .
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby 7chronicles » Dec 15, 2011 10:14 pm

Awesome job Mehinen!!! :ymapplause:
I really love the sea dryad and how her dress flows right into the sea!
Love the coloring in both drawings!
You did a wonderful job! :) :ymapplause:

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby RoseRed » Dec 28, 2011 3:25 am

Beautiful! I personally prefer the lake dryad because of the greater amount of detail, but I love the way the sea dryad's dress melds with the water! :)
Grief for the movies made me abandon narniaweb...but I'm so glad to be back!
Many thanks to the wonderful Lady Eowyn for making my sig/av.
RoseRed
NarniaWeb Junkie