This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Susan Fanvid--Missing

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Susan Fanvid--Missing

Postby wild rose » Sep 09, 2011 3:47 am

This is a fan vid I made about Susan who had stopped believing in Narnia and was left behind. Time has passed and as she lives her shallow and vain life she realizes that something is missing in her.

thought I'd add that I'm not good at making videos, I have only made three in my life and still have a LOT to learn. This one came out very patchy, I hope to get better with time, but well, we all have to start somewhere :) feel free to criticize and comments are a love, but don't expect to much :) hope you enjoy it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JJs3ZfMwY0
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Re: Susan Fanvid--Missing

Postby Narnian_Archer » Sep 09, 2011 4:09 am

Very nice, wild rose!! Love the beginning especially!! Good work!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymhug:
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Elanor » Sep 09, 2011 11:58 am

I really like it, Wild - its looks very very well done!! With some of the clips, it's hard to tell what the storyline is, but the lyrics make up for it - and the end is super good!!! :ymhug: :ymhug: Marvelous job, make more!!
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Windsong » Sep 10, 2011 9:05 am

Hey wild_rose,

I guess there is no ending to your talent? Very impressive.

Windsong
NW friends and siblings...AliceLuna, Liberty Hoffman, Lucy of Narnia, Lyneya,
Miss Rosario, MistressofDawn, Narnia Fanatic, Pogginfan, Silver the Wanderer, Smartypants, The Rose-Tree Dryad, TheValiantLucy, wild rose, Winterlife and Wolfloversk.
Windsong
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lion's Emblem » Sep 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Oh wild rose, you don't give yourself enough credit :) . For having made only three videos in your life, you've done fairly well on this one.

For the most part there is a nice visual variety in your choice of clips. If it's possible (I know the amount of clips is challenging, in particular with Susan for VDT), I would try to change out a couple of clips that repeat (for instance, the use of Aslan in LWW at 0'35 and then again at 2'47). I can understand why these clips are used over, but as a viewer, I want to see something fresh throughout (especially since the video is only a few minutes long). As I said before, this may be difficult with the clips with Susan from VDT, but you may want to try something different with Aslan. Or you could opt to delete some footage. Even though you want to fill up the time to match the length of the song, it's always best to go with quality over quantity. If your nervous though, don't worry, I have some thoughts later on that might help you elaborate without having a ton of empty space at the end of video (which is usually not a good idea either).

As far as editing with the visual and audio, I really like your matchups at 0'29 through 0'37, the segement at 0'51 through 1'11, as well as the segement at 1'33 through 1'41. Your use of fades at each of these time spots really sets the emotion with the lyrics. I really love the first transition into the clip of Aslan with the lyrics going into "something missing in me", it's a very powerful matchup, and then into Susan's reaction at seeing Aslan the first time. Also, Susan's expression in the mirror works really well (as it changes from content to a sort of "dissapointed" in herself look- a very nice connection with the lyrics and your theme for the piece). As for the second time frame, the fading effect with the flashbulb and Susan's reaction is superb and works really well (it's a nice setup for the viewer to connect with Susan's emotions at this point). The slowing down effect here also helps set up the emotional connection. On the next set, I really enjoyed your use of transition. I love the fact that Susan reflects on the photo of her and her siblings in their school unifroms and then you have placed a fade into the same scene with them back in Narnia- very effective visually.

I have a few more minor notes to add here. I would suggest turning down the music just a bit. I had my volume on a standard level and the music came on pretty loud at the start. I only mention this because the song starts off with a pretty loud beat right off the bat. This is an easy fix though. As a note on the text (which I did enjoy as an intro to the video by the way), it should be extended in the beginning- in time, not words :) . The viewer should be able to read the text comfortably twice. I had to rush through it a bit, just to make sure I got it all before you changed to another title. Personally, I've never been good at this trade in my own work, so it always helps to have another person watch your video to get feedback on whether they could read all they needed to in the time that it's on screen (as stated before, extending these titles could help in the repeat of clips... just something to consider). Also, this is more of a personal preference, but I would put the title text at the end of the video on the slug (or black filter). I say this because it's a bit of a visual distraction with the video imagery. Since it's right in the center, as a viewer I say "where should my focus be? With the text or with the image?". However, the following title card works- no distractions here.

Are you still with me :) ? Well, after all that, I have to conclude by saying you've got quite the potential wild rose. You have put together some great pieces of editing (which is the greatest strength in video- very much a make or break element). I'd say keep making videos, this one was a pleasure to view :) . Nice work :ymapplause: .
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wild rose » Sep 14, 2011 11:14 am

thank you everyone so much for watching and commenting
Narnian_Archer, thanks for commenting, it's so nice to have such supportive sisters :ymhug: (I hope to see your video here soon, so I can comment :p )

Ela, I agree the clips came out a bit random at parts, I guess that is because I was matching the clips to the lyrics :)

Windsong, awww thanks :) I'm glad you liked it :)

Lion's Emblem, first off thanks so much for taking the time to write out all your thoughts and critasizm,
About the Aslan clip repeating....I'll be honest and admit that I was just a little lazy to try and find another clip :p it was already at the end of the video and I was tired and just wanted to get it finished :) (bad excuse I know :p )
and as for everything else, I see what you mean, and will take it all into consideration when making my next video, thanks again for pointing everything out, it is really helpful :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays