This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

'New World' Wallpapers

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

'New World' Wallpapers

Postby flambeau » Sep 17, 2009 8:22 pm

How exciting! My first wallpaper thread on the new forum! (ok, so not really exciting, but...)

I made these this afternoon. I couldn't decide which design I liked better, so I saved it both ways.
The text may not totally fit, but I sort of meant it in reference to the fact that Narnia is so much different than when they were last there. Hope that makes sense. :-\

Version 1: Image
Version 2: Image

I think I like the second version better.

Comments are loved! I would also appreciate constructive criticism! :)

Thanks!
--- flambeau
"It. Doesn't. Have. To. Match."

President of the Manalive Conspiracy
Founder of Team Hoodie
Icon by me
flambeau
Moderator Emeritus
A Concerned Third Party

Re: 'New World' Wallpapers

Postby greenbird37 » Sep 17, 2009 8:31 pm

I love the first one the best...it shows their happiness in being there again and the bottom shows the love of beautiful Narnia and them having fun! Both are very nice...good job!
"We have nothing if not belief"
greenbird37
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ForeverFan » Sep 18, 2009 9:13 am

Lovely blending Flambeau! I believe I like the first better- I think the blended image of the Pevensies at the top of it really adds something to the piece, perhaps it makes it look more complete? The colouring is nicely done- I like how it's not too strong, but not exactly subtle either. :)
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 18, 2009 9:46 am

wow! love the coloring. my favorite is the 1st one! :)
av / sig by me, PM if you want one
saw the movie opening weekend and cried at the end!
Jesus DIED for ME and YOU!
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Mar In Narnia » Sep 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Great work, flambeau! The wallpapers are lovely. I really like the concept, the text, the fonts and the colouring. I can't chose one favourite! One thing that it kind of looks a bit weird to me, are the clouds, but that's just a detail. Hope to see more wallpaper from you :)
Thanks to malkah for the lovely avatar!
Mar In Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnia Girl » Sep 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Oh, that's absolutely gorgeous! I love the blending in the first one, and the picture you chose. I love the text and how bright the coloring is! I think my favorite is the first one! Lovely job!
Founder of the Dragon Fan Club - PM me to join!
Team Hoodie!
I've met Michael English!
Avie and sig by theprincessspy.
Narnia Girl
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnia_lover127 » Sep 19, 2009 8:32 am

Wow! those are soo beautiful! I too like the second one a bit better, but the colors adn blending are so pretty on both. Really fantastic job!!!
or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch,Peter~Lucy

Avvie,sig:me!
narnia_lover127
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Follower of Aslan » Sep 20, 2009 3:41 pm

Beautifully done! I think I like both just as well. :ymapplause: It's the coloring that really has me loving them! Your cloud brushes and squares (or whatever brushes you used) work very well! I think the text is a neat idea - different but I can see what you were thinking of. Good blending on the first one. ;)
The *official First Follower of Aslan
Keeper of Susan's Grey Coat.
Avy:Badger
Sig:Beautiful_ltdwn
Follower of Aslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lion's Emblem » Sep 20, 2009 10:24 pm

A nice a pair of wps flambeau. While both wps are excellent, I personally prefer the first. The transparent image of the Pevensies up top gives a nice additional element to the piece and it works really well not being too straight forward and "in your face". Your choice of BG image is superb. I like the fact the image focus is not on the Pevensies, but the environment that surrounds them. Coloration is fantastic on both. At first glance, I wasn't entirely sure on your choice of text, but upon reading your description, I totally get it. The Pevensies are so thrilled to be back in Narnia, but, in this scene, they are unaware of what has happened and that they truly are in "A New World" than what they remember. In that sense, your choice of text is superb. I'm not sure I would have made the connection though by just looking at the piece. I'm not going to tell you how you should design and create your wps, but I just now had a thought on the text. Maybe it's getting a little on the cliche side, but suppose the top image (as a transparency like the Pevensie image) was depicting the "new" Narnia under Miraz rule (such as the ruins of Cair Paravel). It might also make for a nice contrast between the joyfully beach image and the bright coloration accompanied with it. Again, I'm not trying to rewrite your design and vision. Nice work on both :ymapplause: .
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Aurora » Sep 21, 2009 6:45 am

I like both of them just as much! :ymapplause: My only critisism would be your choice of font. For me, it's a bit to bold. Maybe that's the effect you're going for but personally, i would have used a subtler font. But i love the textures you've used and the blending! :ymapplause:
Aurora
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby flambeau » Sep 23, 2009 5:44 pm

Thank you greenbird37, ForeverFan, NothinButNarnia, Mar In Narnia, Narnia Girl, narnia_lover127, Follower of Aslan, Lion's Emblem, and Aurora for the wonderful comments!! :)

FF wrote:I believe I like the first better- I think the blended image of the Pevensies at the top of it really adds something to the piece, perhaps it makes it look more complete?

Aha, thank you! I hadn't thought of it that way before, so I wasn't really sure if the blended image really worked. I'm glad to hear that you think it does!

Mar wrote:One thing that it kind of looks a bit weird to me, are the clouds, but that's just a detail.

I see what you're saying, I hadn't noticed before you pointed it out though. :ymblushing: I had to add some clouds to the sky so that it covered up where I extended the screencap, but I may have used too many.

Lion's Emblem wrote:At first glance, I wasn't entirely sure on your choice of text, but upon reading your description, I totally get it. The Pevensies are so thrilled to be back in Narnia, but, in this scene, they are unaware of what has happened and that they truly are in "A New World" than what they remember. In that sense, your choice of text is superb.

Thank you so much! I'm glad that it makes sense!

Lion's Emblem wrote:I'm not going to tell you how you should design and create your wps, but I just now had a thought on the text. Maybe it's getting a little on the cliche side, but suppose the top image (as a transparency like the Pevensie image) was depicting the "new" Narnia under Miraz rule (such as the ruins of Cair Paravel). It might also make for a nice contrast between the joyfully beach image and the bright coloration accompanied with it. Again, I'm not trying to rewrite your design and vision.

That's actually a really good idea! I may try that design sometime! Thanks for the idea!

Aurora wrote:My only critisism would be your choice of font. For me, it's a bit to bold. Maybe that's the effect you're going for but personally, i would have used a subtler font.

Duly noted! I get what you're saying and I'll try to use a wider variety of fonts in the future (I've been sort of stuck on using that one font recently, so it's probably time to use something new). ;)

Thank you all again! :D

--- flambeau
"It. Doesn't. Have. To. Match."

President of the Manalive Conspiracy
Founder of Team Hoodie
Icon by me
flambeau
Moderator Emeritus
A Concerned Third Party

Postby Annafan1228 » Sep 24, 2009 2:02 pm

Wow Flambeau, those are really pretty! I probably like the first one best! The textures that you used are really pretty, and I like seeing their first reaction into Narnia! You chose the perfect picture! :ymapplause:
NW sib:7
"They know everything on NarniaWeb"~Ben Barnes
Used to be Queen~Susan
Annafan1228
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Princess Lucy » Sep 26, 2009 3:33 pm

Good job Fambeau! I like both of them, but I probably like the first one the best. I really like of how the Pevensies are faded in the back. You did a really good job! :ymapplause:
NWsibs:4
"They know everything on Narnia Web"~Ben Barnes
Used to be Princess~Lucy
Karen Kingsbury fan!
Princess Lucy
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Quinlin » Oct 02, 2009 7:03 am

Really nice wallpaper, Flambeau! They're both great and I like them equally for different reasons. In the first one, the blending of the top image into the wallpaper looks amazing. I really like the simplicity of the second wallie. It strongly conveys the theme of entering a "New World". I also love the texture you blended into the wallie. It gives a neat, 3-D'ish effect. ;)
I've Been to Narnia!
'I can still hear the hoofbeats in my heart'
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub