This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

In Tashbaan

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

In Tashbaan

Postby Mehinen » Jul 28, 2011 6:01 am

Hard to believe, but this picture has been eleven months in the making :ymblushing: . My third version of Susan and Rabadash, that intriguing couple!

My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: In Tashbaan

Postby DaughterofEve1792 » Jul 29, 2011 8:55 am

Very nice! I think it captures their characters nicely. I love Rabadash's wardrobe! :D I like how Susan's is simple and has a modern twist on it. :)
DaughterofEve1792
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby StarAsterisk » Jul 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Looks awesome! :D I like the colors and it looks very well-done! Might I suggest adding a bit more color to the hair?
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 04, 2011 5:52 pm

I love your interpretation of Rabadash. You've given his attire depth and detail, and his face has lots of character. He's very much a proud prince come to woo the beautiful barbarian queen. :D

And you've drawn a lovely, soft background. I'm going to guess it's a beach?

However, I believe you have the arm Susan is resting on Rabadash's arm bent the wrong way. It looks rather painful and awkward. But that's the only thing I'd change. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby De_De » Aug 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Susan is really nice! I love the dress and the way her hair is done. I can't really say that is the way I imagined Rabadash, but you drew him very well! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby wild rose » Aug 09, 2011 11:40 pm

really nice, I loved how you drew Susan, nice and simple, but showing her natural beauty, Rabadash is awesome too, I love his wardrobe :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Valiant » Aug 10, 2011 1:34 pm

Mehinen, that's very nice! :) It's beautifully draw and Susan looks lovely.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Quinlin » Aug 10, 2011 4:43 pm

You did a great job capturing the characters and really put a lot of amazing details into their clothes to make them very realistic. I love Rabadash's outfit, especially his turban and stitched shirt, as well as Susan's dress. It's so flowy and soft, and the semi-transparent sleeves are gorgeous. I usually imagine Susan with lighter hair, but I like the darkness and the length of it here. I only agree with Meltintalle, that her hand looks a bit awkward in the way it's twisted even though the direction looks correct.

All in all, they both look very happy together! :) Lovely work! :ymapplause:
I've Been to Narnia!
'I can still hear the hoofbeats in my heart'
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub

Postby Mehinen » Aug 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Thank you DaughterofEve1792, De_De, wild rose and Valiant! It's nice to see that the idea of expressing their different personalities and nationalities by clothing worked. :D At one point, Rabadash went through some major changes (clothing, face and body structure) and I'm glad to see that you like the result.

StarAsterisk: You may be right. I didn't want Susan's hair to be so black that it would have looked black, but perhaps it needs a little more colour. Thank you for pointing that out!

Meltintalle: Well... It's not a beach, though I can completely understand why you thought so :ymblushing: . The scene was supposed to be from Tashbaan, with Rabadash showing the scenery from some white, marble terrace at the top of the city. The foam-looking things are white houses zig-zagging down the city, and the blue thing near the horizon is the river, and the yellow above it is the desert. At the time I started to make the background, I was getting rather bored with the drawing and just wanted to get rid of it (and at the same time wanted to try violet shadows, as they are not black in reality). So, the quickly colored view that was blurred so as to give it some distance ended up looking like a beach :D . There's no excuse for Susan's hand, though! It's just that that hands and arms are so difficult, especially after spending a long time painting mainly landscapes. Thank you for the comments!

Quinlin: I have to agree with you and Meltintalle that the hand is indeed in a wrong position. Just didn't notice it while sketching the picture :D . Susan's dress was actually done within the first months, so it was the most carefully done part of the drawing. Thank you for commenting!
My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby 7chronicles » Aug 17, 2011 12:11 am

Beautiful job Mehinen!
I love The colors you chose for each of their outfits! :D
I espically love the flowers on Susan's Dress! And I really like the way you positioned them both.
I don't know why, but I really like the way you drew Rabadashs' sword! :)
Great Work! :ymapplause: :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru