This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Prince Caspian 3rd birthday - book cover

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Re: Prince Caspian 3rd birthday - book cover

Postby Beginte » Jun 03, 2011 9:17 am

lover of narnia! :ymhug: Awww, I'm sooo happy you remember me, and even happier to hear from you! :D Oh, thank you so very much! :ymhug: Oh, you're so sweet, thank you, I'm so, so happy you like the graphic! :ymblushing: Yay, thank you, I'm happy it has a bookish feeling :) Oh, thanks! Well, when is Caspian not wonderful? :p Thank you, I loved doing his clothes, the sleeves cost me some hard work, but I like how they turned out, and I'm so happy you do, too! Ah, about his hand, I actually can't take much credit, cause the way I painted it was almost cheating ;) I'm glad you like his face, it gave me such pain to do it right, as I was trying out a new style and for the first time using blue night colors, but I'm glad it turned out good! :) Oooh, thank you so much! :ymhug: :ymhug: I hope to post something new soon, most likely another piece of poor Su's struggles with Corin ;)) Thank you again, my friend!

Adeona, awww, thank you so much! :ymhug: I'm so glad you remember me! Aw, thank you! I'm happy you like it! I loved doing his shirt, even if it cost me a massive cramp in my drawing arm :p Oh, thanks! I liked the idea of fading it into darkness at the right and bottom, I'm so happy you like it, too :) Thank you very, very much, I was hoping it would have a real cover feeling! :D
I've seen the movie 9 times!!! (PC)
I've seen the movie 7 times!!! (VoDT) And loved it!
Proud member of the C+S club
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lion's Emblem » Jun 03, 2011 8:42 pm

... Oh..... wow. I'm really speechless Beginte.... But, I really should say some things shouldn't I? I suppose you knew that was coming :) .

I definitely had to take a peek in because I wasn't exactly sure what the piece was for based on your topic title. Needless to say, you grabbed my curiosity. The book cover idea is great. I must say that I had to do quite a bit of a double take. I wasn't sure what I was looking at, I thought it was a manipulated screenshot. Upon closer examination, oh no, that's not a screenshot :-o . Seriously, the work you have done here is just breathtaking. The detail (and lack thereof) is incredible. The BG is awseome, just enough to give a sense of what's there without being too "upfront" (it's perfectly subtle). The detail on Caspian is also superb. I especially like the folding in his cape and shirt sleeves. The detail to Susan's horn is also amazing. Coloration and lighting works superbly throughout. Although, I might bring down the brightness on Susan's horn just a bit (but, it does grab the eye and lead the viewer down into the title. It's a tough call). Titles add the perfect final touch.

This is a book I would want to buy :) . Nice work Beginte :ymapplause: .
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Beginte » Jun 04, 2011 12:18 am

Oooh, thank you so veryvery much! :D Haha, thanks, I had no idea the title of the piece is interest-catching ;)) Yay, thank you! It's of course referenced from a screenshot since it was my own cropping of an avatar that inspired me to make such a cover (as odd as an inspiration this might be), and I'm so glad it looks 'real' :) I loved doing his sleeves, and I'm exceedingly happy the effect turned out good :) I still hate one part of folding on his right (of the hand holding the horn), but I'll correct that later. Oh, Susan's horn was my favorite thing to do on this picture, I think, and I'm happy you like it! Ah, the brightness is on purpose, I brightened the horn's final colors to make it catch the eye and give it a glow, so to speak, since to me it's a part of the cover as important as Caspian is :) Oh, thank you! :ymblushing: That's so sweet of you, I'm happy you like it! :D
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Valiant » Jun 04, 2011 8:28 am

You made that?! Wow, at first I just clicked the link instead of reading your comment and I thought it was a real graphic made by the studio. Wonderful job! I love it. :)
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Beginte » Jun 04, 2011 9:09 am

Yup :) Oh, thank you so much! :D I'm so happy you like it and think it looks real!
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aravis Autarkeia » Jun 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Wow! You captured the moment perfectly! The lighting fits the emotion of the scene very well. Awesome job!!! :D
Aravis Autarkeia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jun 05, 2011 12:05 am

Are you sure it's an original work? Because it looks like you applied a Photoshop filter and then overpainted the existing image, changing several details. Please forgive me if I'm wrong about that one.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Beginte » Jun 05, 2011 12:32 am

Aravis Autarkeia, thank you very much! Well, it was the movie screenshot that captured the moment perfectly, I referenced from it, though changed things and colors a little :)

Warrior, wow, thanks a lot /:) You think I'd lie? No, as I said, I referenced from the screenshot I took, and the work is inspired by my own avatar that I did many (many-many) months back. For some things, such as Susan's horn or Caspian's sleeves, I placed a transparent layer over an original image (Susan's horn comes from another image than the screenshot I referenced off) and drew the contours of the pattern, and then painted it in my choice of night colors and shades. It's OK., just... well, I felt weird, since your question implies I lied in my note on the first post :-s
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Jun 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Someone on the NarniaWeb chatroom linked to this, my screen was a bit dim and I thought it was an actual photo.

Just sayin' - that's how good it is. :)
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Jun 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Beginite, it looks great, and I don't doubt that Warrior thought it was photoshopped because at first glance (without reading about it) I thought so too! Which just goes to show how good it is that it looks like the real deal ;) :ymapplause:
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Meltintalle » Jun 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Awwwww, of course we remember you, Beginte! You do such lovely work! :ymhug:

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of book covers focusing on a character as portrayed in a movie. It's a quirk of mine. :p But you've done such a lovely job here that if this was a cover I'd be tempted to make an exception (especially if it was part of a complete set). I like the scene choice and the dark colors. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Aravanna » Jun 08, 2011 8:50 pm

I absolutely love this! You're superb at lighting. My favorite bit of it is Susan's horn and it's emphasis in the composition. I wouldn't change that, since it has an importance in your art that's not really captured in the movie. ;)

I also adore the detail on his clothes and the expression on his face, which is perfect. Before reading your description, I figured you colored over the top of a screenshot.
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Previous