This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

I'm all grown up - Corin and Lucy

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

I'm all grown up - Corin and Lucy

Postby Beginte » Dec 14, 2010 4:35 pm

I like a good 'what if', so I agreed to draw this when my friend requested it. Many people give Lucy and Mr Tumnus a romantic relationship later on in the Golden Age, but I always liked them as just very close and dear friends. The idea of Corin growing up into a young adult and having his head turned by a few years older Lucy, his playmate from childhood, somehow appealed to my imagination though.

I had fun designing Corin, though his hair was a bit of a problem - I wanted it to be alike to what we saw in the HHB drawings, but changed to show he's older, but not resembling of Caspian's too much. Lucy on the other hand... oh, she was a pain, when I first designed her, she looked too much like Susan. I changed her profile and gave her freckles, and she started looking like Pepper Potts from Iron Man. Finally, she came out OK.

The line I slightly borrowed from Anakin in the second Star Wars, and it's Corin who says it and not Lucy, despite the fact that she's the one with her mouth opened.

Anyway, I hope you like the drawing, I enjoyed drawing it, as odd as it sounds I liked how the pencil felt on the paper - I'm sure those who draw will understand me :ymblushing:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm42 ... inLucy.jpg
I've seen the movie 9 times!!! (PC)
I've seen the movie 7 times!!! (VoDT) And loved it!
Proud member of the C+S club
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: I'm all grown up - Corin and Lucy

Postby Fire Fairy » Dec 15, 2010 4:09 am

Very interesting idea, Beginte. Never thought of it.

I really like the drawing, though. People are so hard to draw, especially when you are only going off of imagination. Good work! :ymapplause:
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Beginte » Dec 15, 2010 4:25 am

Thanks :) The idea wasn't really mine, but I liked a good 'what if' that it made. I'm glad you like the drawing, and yes, people are hard to draw especially from imagination, thanks for liking the drawing! :D
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Djaq » Dec 15, 2010 12:45 pm

Once again, Beginte, I am in awe of your talent! Fabulous work! :ymapplause:
The Corin/Lucy match up is something that I had never thought of, but it does seem possible. ;))
I really love the way that you drew the picture! The details are great, and I really like how it fades out to the edges. Corin looks great! The hair is really well done, too! The style fits with his character really well: Rather unkempt and messy. ;))
Lucy is really well done as well! At first, I thought she looked somewhat angry and I didn't quite like how she looked, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. ;)) Her expression looks like she is surprised, and that seems like it would be what she would be feeling, so it works well.
I'm rambling now. :ymblushing: Sorry!

You really did a fantastic job with this drawing, Beginte! This is probably my favorite drawing of yours to date. :D
Keep up the amazing work!

~Djaq
When things fall apart, be glue.

Team Hoodie!!
Djaq
Moderator Emeritus
Djaq Of All Trades

Postby Silver the Wanderer » Dec 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Wow Beginte, I love it! :D That's certainly a very interesting "what if". That looks just like Lucy! And I love how you designed Corin. I'd also like to compliment the folds in the fabric - getting folds just right is always something I've had a problem with.

Nice job! :ymapplause:
Av and Sig by Aravis Autarkeia

Silver the Wanderer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Beginte » Dec 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Thank you both very much :) I'm glad you like it!

Djaq, thank you, that is so kind of you :ymblushing: I don't think it's so much awe-worthy... but it's very sweet of you to say so :ymblushing: I know, I never thought of Corin/Lucy either till I was pitched the idea, and now before I knew it I made up a small story about those two, heh. Maybe one day I'll make an illustration about it, heh. I just liked the idea of young adult Corin finding himself attracted to Lucy, his a few years older former playmate, and Lucy perhaps requiting the feelings. Anyway, I'm glad you like the drawing! I had fun doing it :) Glad you like Corin's hair, it came out like I wanted it to. Hmm, now that you say, indeed Lucy can seem a bit angry... dang... oh, it's because of those thin eyebrows, she always looks like she's frowning. I'm relieved that at the second glimpse she appears surprised though #:-s Thank you very, very much! :D

Silver the Wanderer, thank you! Yeah, the 'what if' interested me as well, hence my agreement to do the drawing. I'm glad Lucy looks like Lucy, I wanted to try my own design instead copying the older Lucy from the end of LWW :) Thanks for liking Corin, I had fun designing him :) Oh, thank you very much! :D I'm happy someone appreciates folds in clothes, it's one of my very favorite things to draw in humans! Somehow it always was easy and enjoyable for me, unlike human faces... those took years to look at least decent! Thanks again!
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Dec 15, 2010 7:15 pm

I really like it a lot. Like so many have said, I love Corin's hair, and beyond that, he really has a Corin-ish look to him. It's a very nice, light drawing with a sketch-like look that I really enjoy. The cape is great. I love how you do clothes.

Lucy's eyes, though, don't look as though they are looking at Corin. They look like she's looking over his shoulder. That changes the effect of the piece for me. Maybe if her chin was tilted up just a bit, and if I could really see the direction of her eyes.

Overall, I LOVE it. Interesting pairing, indeed!
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Dec 16, 2010 12:18 am

Really nice to see some variety in the fan art section! :-bd I hardly ever see fan art for MN, HHB or LB in here.

I'm not very good at drawing, so I don't think I can offer any specific praise or constructive criticism, but it looks pretty good to me. :)
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » Dec 16, 2010 2:27 am

Is it intended to look a bit confrontational? I like Corin, he looks quite lively and his hair is nicely dishevelled looking for an active prince.

Lucy in HHB is aged 23 and Corin 14; she is not going to be interested in him. (Sorry, but you will just have to live with that - it's on Lewis' timeline.)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Beginte » Dec 16, 2010 2:49 am

sweetlilgurile, thanks! I'm glad you like Corin's hair, I gave a lot of work to it :) Oh, thank you, I just love drawing in a sketchy manner! I'm so happy you like it! :D Thanks, I adore drawing clothes, the ruffles and folds are my favorite part! Hmm... I don't know, to me Lucy is looking at Corin, but I can hardly be a judge of that since I know that she's supposed to look at him and that I intended her to look at him... so I can't judge that... maybe I'll correct that in coloring, if I do one :) Thanks very much!

MinotaurforAslan, thanks! I know, I just love HHB and plan to make more drawings about the time in which it happens! I'm glad you like the drawing, that's very sweet of you :)

coracle, it's supposed to be a mild confrontation. I'm glad you like Corin, I very much enjoyed designing him :) Hey, what do you mean I'll just have to live with that? That wasn't a very kind sentence... like I'm insisting on hooking those two up and give a whole capaign for it? Mind you, the idea never was mine and I stated it, so please don't treat me that way. Also, it might be Lewis' timeline but remember in book ages never were stated, so if someone is interested, they can go through with it. I just like an interesting 'what if', hence agreed to do the drawing when requested. Please don't address me like some dellusional maniac. /:)

Thanks for your opinions, I enjoyed drawing it, I was at first trying slightly for a new style but ended up with my usual one :p
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian_Archer » Dec 16, 2010 3:31 am

Wow, very interesting idea :) Reminded me a bit of Star Wars Episode II: the Attack of the Clones. I always imagined that Lucy fell in love with Tirian...but this is cool too!!! Very nice work!!! I love your drawings, Beginte!!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Could I ask you to draw a picture for me sometime? I am in awe of your talent!!!!
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Beginte » Dec 16, 2010 3:40 am

The idea isn't mine so I can take no credit for how interesting it is, but thanks for liking the picture :) Oh, yes, I know, I was reminded of SW II, too, hence the line at the bottom, which I borrowed from Anakin for a better effect... Again, thank you for liking the drawing, it puts a smile on my face :D

Oh, I think yes... I'm surprised and honored you might one day request a picture of me! Though I don't want to sound weird, but I not always agree to draw... when I don't like some theme or sometimes I shamefully don't find myself inspired by an idea... I hate when that happens, but when it does, the drawing just can't come out good to save my life! Ugh! So how about if one day you decide to request a drawing, you tell me the idea and I'll do my best to see if it works out. I'm sorry, that's all I can promise... gosh, I hate when I can't confirm at once that yes, I will draw anything, I get annoyed with myself :p But I'm very, very honored with your suggestion :ymblushing:
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby StarAsterisk » Dec 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Really nice. Original idea. I think you drew Lucy really well, Corin? Hmm... i Guess you did him well too i never really thought about how he looked much. I know what you mean how the "pencil feels good on the paper". Mmm.... I feel good at the thought.
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Beginte » Dec 17, 2010 10:27 am

Thank you very much :) Yes, idea is original, not mine though. It intrigued me enough to draw this on request :) Thanks, I had fun designing Corin, he's one of my favorite characters and I liked imagining him older, changing this and that as the design completed itself in my head - lots of fun :D I'm glad you know what I mean about the pencil feeling good on paper. It's that great feeling that gets you and makes the drawing turn out completely satisfying :) Thank you for your comment!
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Dec 17, 2010 2:24 pm

It's a lovely character drawing of an interesting concept. (Not one I can claim to be a fan of, but you've done an excellent job with it.) I think Corin turned out the better of the two, but just like last time I think you've pretty much nailed the expressions in the picture. :)

Do you have any tips for how you achieve the expressions? Or is it just lots and lots of practice?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Beginte » Dec 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks! :) I'm not a fan of the concept and do not wish to be seen as one (coracle seems to have patronizingly classified me as a dellusional maniac), I merely was intrigued. I like a good 'what if' that holds a prospect of an interesting story, so I agreed to draw it when requested. Thank you very much for liking it! I had lots of fun designing Corin's looks :D Hmm, tips about expressions? I must say I never was asked about that... I don't know, I sort of draw them and they come out good or bad, if the latter - I correct them till I get them right. I guess that's the method, draw till you get it right :) Plus, it helps to do some expression drawings off some picture - you know, stare at a photo and draw it on paper, and pay particular attention to how lips, cheeks, eyes and eyebrows correspond with each other, how they're all linked together in each expression. Sorry, I know I'm fuzzy, but that's the closest I can get to putting what I mean into some semblance of coherency :p Thanks again!
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Next