This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Got Questions? Find Answers!

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Re: Got Questions? Find Answers!

Postby Narnian_Archer » Sep 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Another simple question from me... :) I'm really confused about this, if anyone can help me, I'll be so grateful!!
I know how to use Photoshop, but I have no idea how to add a texture. I saw all these beautiful textures in the Resources and Textures thread, but I have no idea how to use them!! If someone could just basically explain how to add a texture to a picture (say, a ready-cropped avatar), I'll be so, so thankful!! Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out!!
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslanisthebest » Sep 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Wunder, thanks so much for your response post! I checked out the Tutorial and was able to find most of the needed buttons, but one problem: I can't figure out how to duplicate the text layer on GIMP. I've learnt graphic designing very amateurly, so there are so many things on GIMP I don't know how to use. How do I duplicate the text layer? :ymblushing: Thanks so much!! :)

Also, if anyone would know a good beginner's guide to GIMP that explains how to do things quickly and well, I would really, really, utmostly from the bottom of my heart appreciate it.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Narnian_Archer, I've never used Photoshop, but I know in GIMP that when you go to Edit, there's an option that says Open as Layer and you can then select another picture or texture to bring into your file. Is there some option like that in Photoshop? From there, once you've opened the texture, you can play around with layer modes (and opacity), such as Screen, Overlay, Soft Light, Addition, etc. Does that help at all? ;)) I'm sure someone actually familiar with Photoshop will be along soon and able to explain it better. :)

Bella, to duplicate a text layer on GIMP, just right-click on the text layer in your layer manager and select "Duplicate Layer". If you don't have the layer manager open, go to Windows---> Dockable Dialogs---> Layers, and that'll open it up for you. :) Hopefully that helps!
As far as beginner's guides go, I'd suggest finding some basic tutorials (I know flam and some others have some great ones for GIMP in the Tutorial thread) and trying some of those, in addition to just playing around with stuff. Sorry to not be more helpful. :ymblushing:
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Aslanisthebest » Sep 30, 2011 9:03 pm

AAAH! :D *hugtackles Valia* Thank-you so much. I managed to duplicate it. Now... I'll go follow Wunder's tutorial. Thanks so much! I shall definitely look around the tutorial thread. :)
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby narnian_at_heart » Sep 30, 2011 10:15 pm

Aslanisthebest wrote:Also, if anyone would know a good beginner's guide to GIMP that explains how to do things quickly and well, I would really, really, utmostly from the bottom of my heart appreciate it.

I have found this to be very helpful.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian_Archer » Oct 02, 2011 1:55 am

ValiantArcher, Wow, thanks!! Yes, it's pretty similar in Photoshop, and I discovered a whole bunch of new stuff following what you said to do!! Thank soo much!!! :)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Graphics Workshop #1

Postby campgirl » Oct 04, 2011 10:41 am

So I have a question...

I would like to screencapture some TV episodes I have on my computer. I know the Print Screen method, but I'd like to be able to set like an automatic cap. Is there a free program for this??

Thanks! :)
-- cg
Team Hoodie! | Keeper of the Secret Magic | ♥
campgirl
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: General Movie Questions

Postby YoungSquirrel » Oct 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi!

Newbie here, so if this is in the wrong place, please forgive me.

I'm trying to find good photos of the statues of the four Pevensies that are in the treasure room in Prince Caspian.

Anyone know where I could see something like this?

Thanks in advance. ;;)
"He has-- he has-- he has!" it squeaked, beating its little spoon on the table.
YoungSquirrel
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Oct 06, 2011 9:48 am

If you're looking for screencaps of that scene, check here. That's about the best you can get for that particular scene. Most of the promotional images from that scene aren't very good quality. If you want the promotional images Spareoom is the place to go.

Hope that helps!

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Aravis Autarkeia » Oct 06, 2011 11:08 am

campgirl: I use a free program called InstantShot that can be set to cap automatically, but I don't know if they have a version for windows.

Narnian_Archer: On my mac, I can just open the texture in photoshop and then drag it onto my icon project. I'm not sure if it works like that on other computers though....
Aravis Autarkeia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby YoungSquirrel » Oct 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Wunderkind_Lucy wrote:If you're looking for screencaps of that scene, check here.

~Wunder

Oh, thank you! Thank you!!

Yeah, it's really hard to see those statues in the film. Those screen caps are the best I've seen so far. And it's a pretty cool site, too.

Bless you!

Sorry it took me a while to get back here. :ymblushing:
"He has-- he has-- he has!" it squeaked, beating its little spoon on the table.
YoungSquirrel
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Oct 11, 2011 3:11 pm

You're welcome! I think it's the best place for Narnia screencaps. ;)

Glad I could help!

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Aslanisthebest » Oct 11, 2011 7:26 pm

I wanted to pop in and thank you, Wunder, for the tutorial on how to add a background to text. It worked great, and I've been having a lot of fun fooling around with the effect - it looks so polished and pretty! Thanks so much! :)

narnian_at_heart, thank-you so, so, so much for that link! It looks very neat and I'm looking forward to checking it out! :D *favourites*
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Oct 12, 2011 7:01 am

No problem! I'm glad I could help! I remember how excited I was when I realized how to do that effect! ^^

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wolfloversk » Oct 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi all I'm looking for two things:

-a free 3-D animation program
-a free screencasting program (like taking screenshots, but video instead of pics)

I'm using Win 7 on a Dell Inspiron laptop and it says I have 229 GB/ 283 GB free.

Anyone have any ideas? Like I said I'd prefer free/open source programs, something that's trustworthy and won't kill my computer, something that doesn't force me to become a member of some website, or force me to download anything else. Thanks ahead of time for any and all help!

Edit ok I think I found the first thing, but a screencasting program would be most helpful!
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby outlier » Oct 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Wolfy, it's not the best method, but a while ago I was making a video for class and Windows Movie Maker had a feature for taking screenshots from videos, the only problem is that I think it saves the screenshot onto the file for the movie so you can't retrieve it for anything other than your video. This was somewhere around 4 years ago when I used that method, so I'm not sure if the feature is still around.

Edit: I just tested it on my computer (Windows 7 as well but this time its called Windows Live Movie Maker), and yes you can take a screenshot and save the snapshot onto your computer :)
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext