This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

My new VoDT poster (conceptual sketch)

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

My new VoDT poster (conceptual sketch)

Postby Beginte » Apr 25, 2010 1:48 am

Right, since you guys liked the last VoDT poster I drew with my tablet, I decided to design several next ones :) Thanks so much for encourgement, by the way! It meant the world to me!

Now, this poster here features only Caspian, and I know I gave him the PC haircut, but it somehow worked for me... I'll see if I can change that in the actual work, when the coloring and effects come into play.

Also, this one doesn't feature Aslan, I know. But there was no place to fit him, and I have him on the other version of this poster. Also, I was inspired by two or three posters of LWW where Aslan doesn't appear...

There will be several versions of this poster, one horizontal and including Reepicheep, while another variation will feature Caspian in different position and with Edmund, Eustace and Lucy, and possibly Aslan.

So well, this prolonged introduction is now over, sorry for the ramble :ymblushing: :p

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm42 ... hsmall.jpg

Comments are welcome :D
I've seen the movie 9 times!!! (PC)
I've seen the movie 7 times!!! (VoDT) And loved it!
Proud member of the C+S club
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: My new VoDT poster (conceptual sketch)

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Apr 25, 2010 9:00 am

I like that alot. It's cool--very simple, and very original. I'd like it better with Aslan in there, but if you can't fit it, that's okay.

I can't wait to see it colored, if you're going to color it! :)
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby wolfloversk » Apr 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Ooo... I like it. I'm very excited to see the final version. My only CC is that I'd give Caspian a beard, but otherwise it looks awesome.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby HM Swanwhite » Apr 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Wow, cool. You are an amazing artist! So realistic! I love drawing, could you give me any tips (or did you do it on the computer?) I love the layout. It's really cool. It will be cool to see it in colour too, if you should decide to do that. You can colour things in Photoshop, eh? :-\

:D :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :D
Go Marina Erakovic!
I've met Michael Apted!!!
Av & Sig by Me. NWeb sis: ForeverFan
HM Swanwhite
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Beginte » Apr 26, 2010 6:33 am

Thanks a lot! :D

sweetlilgurile, thank you! Yeah, I couldn't squeeze Aslan in, give the design I have prepared for the sky/clouds it would make a mess... but he will be present in the horizontal version of this poster :)

wolfloversk, thank you! Oh, the beard couldn't be a part of sketch because it appears later, in coloring - if I put it here now, I'd give myself trouble during the coloring. But it will be in the colored version, worry not! :)

HM Swanwhite, thank you so much! Well, I first made a sketch on paper, scanned it and put a transparent layer on it in Photoshop and there I made a more precise, accurate and proportion-balanced sketch, then deleted the scan from underneath it, slapped on the whithe background under the transparent layer and voila! :D Don't worry, I will color it, and yes, you can color in Photoshop, I made my previous poster in Photoshop:
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm42 ... Ismall.jpg

Well, that's it for now! I unfortunately have my final exams in May, so the colored version will most likely appear on the break of May/June... sorry!

Thanks again for comments, guys!
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby HM Swanwhite » Apr 27, 2010 1:08 am

Wow! :D That's so neat. I'm hoping one day to get the student version of Photoshop and then I'll have to try doing that. What do you use to draw over it in Photoshop? Maybe GIMP could do that. Thanks. But I have to say you must be a talented artist as well as on the computer because that is a fantastic drawing. :D Love it!
Go Marina Erakovic!
I've met Michael Apted!!!
Av & Sig by Me. NWeb sis: ForeverFan
HM Swanwhite
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Adeona » Apr 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Wow! Great sketch Beginte. Like the others said, it's very original and "Clean." :ymapplause:

How about (just a thought!) adding the Dawn Treader in the ocean below Caspian? It would be quite small, I guess. Like I said, just an idea. I don't know how well it would work in reality! :-\
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby lover of narnia » Apr 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Another AWESOME piece from you, my friend!!! :D :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: I very very very much like this!! You did an perfect job with the sketching, getting everything in place and proportion and I love how you made it! The effect it gives having Caspian look out into they ocean standing on a pinnacle of rock....it's almost, in a way, breath taking! Good shading and the addition of the clouds above was a nice touch. His armor is very nicely done, detailed and intricate. I do agree with Adeona, that a little Dawn Treader would look good, but the power it gives right now is perfect. He's utterly alone and I like that. :) Oh and you MUST keep his hair!!! :-o I love his Prince Caspian hair cut and you did a superb job!! Oh do not change it!! *pleads Beginte* But you may do whatever you like considering it is your piece. ;)

I CAN't wait for they others and a color version of this one. You did an awesome job!!!! COMPLETELY AWESOME! :ymhug: :-bd :-bd :-bd :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

~Lover

Loyal supporter of Caspian/Susan.
NW Family: Aunty Vi, LadyC, Rose, Chloe
Secret Order of the Swoosh.
Keeper of the Secret Magic
L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby 7chronicles » May 01, 2010 5:56 pm

Very well done Beginte! I Love it! Your very good at using a tablet! :)
I think you definitely captured the feeling of discovery that is within VDT’s story! :D
I can’t wait to see it all come together! :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Beginte » May 02, 2010 11:21 am

Aw, thanks so much for all your compliments, guys, you're all so lovely!

HM Swanwhite, oh, I'm looking forward to seeing your work once you get the Photoshop :) As per what I use to draw and color, they're basic brushes that come with Photoshop itself, and I believe GIMP has them all as well :) Aw, thanks a lot, that's so sweet of you :ymblushing: Oh, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me :) I'll be more than happy to help in anything, as long as I have some knowledge there myself :p

Adeona, thank you! Oh, well, as you said, Dawn Treader would be nice there, and I've considered it (I'm willing to go to quite some lengths to squeeze in the beauty of this ship to any VoDT-related poster), but it would be too small as you observed... on another one, maybe :)

lover of narnia, oh, thank you so much! Really, dear friend, you're too generous in your praises! :ymblushing: Oh, thank you so, so much, you have no idea how important it was to me, because the image of Caspian looking out onto the ocean that I had in my mind was indeed breathtaking, and I was hoping to convey it on the paper and then tablet :) Oh, I know, I love his PC hair, too, plus I already did one poster with a VoDT hairdo for him, so I suppose I can leave it as it is here ;) Thanks for helping me make this decision, because I was hesitating. The color version will be probably rather late, but I'll try my best to get it done as soon as possible, which means after May 21st, when my finals are done. But I'll try! And brace yourself, there will be an even more impressive panoramic version of this poster, with soooo much more space! :D I just hope it comes out as I want it to... Thanks again for all your lovely compliments! :ymhug:

7chronicles, aw, thanks! Oh, well, I bought my tablet about a year ago (hey, actually in a couple of days, roughly, it shold be an anniversary, since I remember getting it in May... I think!), and my beginnings were rather... unimpressive, but I like to think I make progress :) So far, my previous VoDT poster that I posted here, was my best work. Oh, thanks for that, I was hoping to capture the intense thrill of discovery, as well as Caspian's yearning and perpetual need to always look beyond the horizon! I always saw him as such a character... :)

Thanks again, guys, I really appreciate your comments! Sometime halfway through June, the color version should be up, the panoramic version following soon after :D
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru