The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

Postby johobbit » Aug 24, 2017 11:45 am

That bean pool is so cool, DiGs! Are you getting a good yield?

So, it is definitely a no-go for your root vegetables this year, fantasia? :P No recovery?
That broken pot/fairy look is adorable!

This summer has been so rainy that much is flourishing, but some plants do not like this much precipitation. It seems cucumbers fall into that category. The plants started out really well, but as the rain continued to fall, almost daily at times, they must have become oversaturated, so :(. Other folk in our area have had the same problem.

My carrots are still quite small, but so tasty. However, I'm not digging them up yet, as I'd like them a bit longer than 3". ;)) Boy, are they good, though! Really earthy and carrot-y. :ymsmug:

My tomatoes are taking their sweet time. I see the Brandywines are full and ripening, hurrah! My grape tomato plant became overgrown, amongst other issues. I don't think I'm going to get much from it. :( The Romas are tasty, but not plentiful.

I picked a very large bowl of yellow and green beans in the cool of last evening. Mmmm! They're a bit overripe, but it's been too wet and too mosquito-y to even venture out there lately.

This is our first year having the garden, so we're still experimenting as to where is best, and if we are leaving it where it is, we need to further clear out around it for more air movement and sunlight. We have a few ideas to implement next year, and will think on these more. :)
johobbit

Postby fantasia_kitty » Sep 05, 2017 10:46 am

I may have had a bad year with gardening this year, but my mother-in-law didn't. She had baskets (literally) of extra Juliet tomatoes. Yesterday my parents and I canned 7 quarts and 5 pints of tomatoes. It's great to have all of those taken care of and for use over the winter. :)

I still have a few additional tomatoes and peppers to deal with before the cold gets here.

It seems so weird to be talking about that in early September, but boy has Fall arrived early this year.
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Kalta79 » Nov 07, 2017 4:26 pm

This year was a bad year for gardening, it took so long for all the snow and rain to stop, and then it heated up fast and we had a bad fire season this year(terribly smoky air for weeks). Only good news is that our asparagus is still alive. I thought it was dead, but it isn't. And I got a pay raise this year, so the plants/seeds I've wanted for years I can finally buy for next spring. Can't wait! :D
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous