The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: johobbit, stargazer

Re: The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

Postby fantasia_kitty » Apr 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Today my husband got my onions in. They're a bit late, but they should be fine. ;)) So that just leaves my peppers, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes to put in. And I think that's it for this year in terms of veggies?

But the big project is redoing my herb garden. I'm planning to turn it into a potted garden because some herbs I never use (sorry tarragon), some are horribly out of control (sorry peppermint) and the rest keep dying or have turned bland from reseeding themselves (sorry oregano). Whether I'm able to complete this project this year or not, I don't know, but I'm going to at least get started on it in the hopes of reclaiming some space and sprucing it up a bit. It's kind of a mess.
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 26, 2017 4:51 pm

So today, I finally started this year's gardening season. I place a small potted-herb garden on my front porch. 4 plants total, some basil, catnip, cilantro and rosemary.

Also put some annuals into some of our pots.

And a total of four tomatoes (three romas and a hillbilly) that are in small containers for now, which can be moved to safety if we have a frost.

I usually put out green beans of some sort. When I do this, I usually just drop them in the ground, but I want an early harvest, and it's just not safe to plant them this early. Started them (they're bush beans) in those little biodegradable pots. We'll see how things go.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 223
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia_kitty » May 11, 2017 3:31 pm

Yay for herbs DiGs. :D That's one of the things I still need to buy this year. Parsley and basil especially are the two I use the most.

I've been planting in slow motion this year. My husband or I get about one type of plant in the ground per week, though we bumped that average up to about a day this week. :)) So far I have my onions, potatoes, beets, carrots, tomatoes, and peppers in the ground.
The peppers and tomatoes I stuck in about two hours ago in the hopes of getting them in before the rain and the ground turns into muck again. That may have been a mistake because I just looked out and they're completely underwater. :)) Oops. Well, here's hoping some survive.
The tomatoes I planted this year are 3 Juliets (my favorite :D ), one Black Cherry heirloom, a San Marzano, 3 random Heirloom cherries, and a Grandma's Pick. Peppers include a small orange pepper just for munching on (called a Yummy pepper officially :P ), a Flavorburst pepper, and two giant green peppers that I'm blanking on the name of, but they're my favorite green peppers.
I still need to plant my sweet potatoes and pumpkins. Also herbs. And that'll be it for this year and I can concentrate on my flower gardens. :) (So much for scaling back this year :)) )
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » May 24, 2017 11:20 am

Yay, DiGs and fantasia! :D I haven't posted in this thread this year yet because, well, there was nothing to post. :P We can't even start planting veggies and annuals here prior to our long weekend in May (one week before the USA Memorial Day wknd), as there is still a threat of frost 'til then.

But! We have been prepping and planning. :D My husband has turned over a nice spot for our veggie garden. We have a bit more work to do there with cleaning it out, etc, but it should be ready soon for planting. I think, for starters, we shall grow carrots, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans, and possibly some peas. We have already begun parsley and chives.

We have enjoyed getting some new perennials in, as well as expanding these floral gardens a bit. Loving the rich soil here. We have pulled out a few unsightly (and dying) bushes from our front garden, replacing them with a hydrangea, peony, and two lilies.

We've also been trimming the lower branches off some of our trees out the back. There is a real gorgeous view over the fields from there, but in the warm weather, the (albeit lovely) trees, diminish the full effect. We are not cutting down any healthy trees, just for the record, but rather trimming them upward a tad. ;;) And the shade from the higher branches is surely lovely in summer's heat.

Will update as I plant more, especially the veggie garden!

Oh, with the exception of three perennials (a small hydrangea and 2 clematis), the rest survived this past winter just fine, and most are flourishing. The one that is struggling is the oak leaf hydrangea we planted in honour and memory of qwertykate last June. This past week, however, 'though it is very small (having lost a couple of stems through the winter), it has greened up nicely, so we'll see how it does over the summer. Sure hoping it will come along. :)
johobbit

Previous