This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Quotes!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Favorite Quotes!

Postby Djaq » Jan 28, 2010 1:08 pm

Hello all!

We had a thread for all of your favorite sayings and quotes a while back (and some really good ones were posted), but it's been locked, so here's a new one. :D
Here's a link to the old one. :)

So, what are your favorite quotes? They can be from a movie, a book, or anything else. :D

Some of my favorites are:
"Never take counsel of your fears." - General "Stonewall" Jackson

"If you desire to be more heavenly minded, think more of the things of heaven, and less of the things of earth." - Stonewall again. :D

"We don't do town!" - Roy in the BBC Robin Hood TV show.

"God helps those who help themselves to peanut butter." - My Dad. =)) (yes, he was totally joking)

I have many more, but I'll leave them for another time. ;)

Enjoy! I look forward to seeing what everyone posts!

~Djaq
When things fall apart, be glue.

Team Hoodie!!
Djaq
Moderator Emeritus
Djaq Of All Trades

Re: Favorite Quotes!

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Jan 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Haha, I love your Dad's peanut butter quote, Djaq! =))

Some of my favorites: (sorry there's so many! :ymblushing: )

Henry David Thoreau wrote:How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book.

Coco Chanel wrote:Dress shabbily, they notice the dress. Dress impeccably, they notice the woman.

Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
(not sure who this is by??)

The Shadow of the Bear wrote:Every once in a while you just have to decide to do something very crazy and very right - just to dare yourself to live. I don't mean doing something stupid and destructive - just something fun and good and beautiful.
(By Regina Doman)

Cassandra in I Capture the Castle wrote:"I believe it is customary to get one's washing over first in baths and bask afterwards; personally, I bask first. I have discovered that the first few minutes are the best and not to be wasted-- my brain always seethes with ideas and life suddenly looks much better than did.
(by Dodie Smith)

Gandalf, LOTR wrote:He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom.

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith wrote:""How I wished I lived in a Jane Austen novel!"
I said I'd rather be in a Charlotte Brontë.
"Which would be nicest – Jane with a touch of Charlotte, or Charlotte with a touch of Jane?"
This is the kind of discussion I like very much but I wanted to get on with my journal, so I just said: "Fifty per cent each way would be perfect."

My brother, talking about Hot Pockets wrote:I think If they where used to torture people into saying stuff the rate of people telling everything they know would shoot up to 100% aka: Most. Disgusting. Things. I have ever seen."

My brother, again wrote:Whenever friends offer you an E-cookie, you should ask yourself, are they giving me this because they just want to, or are they luring me to their house, or, do they secretly want me to go insane and rip up my computer?"

And probably my most favorite quote ever is in my signature, by Marilyn Monroe. :)

*is interested to what everyone else posts*

EDIT:

My favorite book, From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, has some of my favorite quotes ever. One reason I like these ones so much is that I feel like they are describing me, in a way. The main character, Claudia reminds me a lot of myself. :P This first one is the first paragraph of the book, actually.
From the Mixed-up Files... wrote:Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away. That is, running away in the heat of anger with a knapsack on her back. She didn't like discomfort; even picnics were untidy and inconvenient: all of those insects and the sun melting the icing on the cupcakes. THerefore, she decided that her leaving home would not be just running from somewhere but would be running to somewhere. To a large place, a comfortable place, an indoor place, and preferably a beautiful place. And that's why she decided upon the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

And (I promise I'm wrapping it up here! :ymblushing: ), are some other quotes scattered throughout the book:

From the Mixed-up Files... wrote:Claudia loved the city because it was elegant; it was important; and busy...Before her decision to run away, deciding what to do with the ten cents left over from her allowance had been the biggest adventure she had had each week...And, perhaps, there was another reason more clear to me than to Claudia. A reason that had to do with the sameness of each and every week. She was bored with being simply straight-A's Claudia Kincaid..."I didn't say differently, I said different. I want to go back different. I, Claudia Kincaid, want to be different when I go back. Like being a heroine is being different."...Claudia doesn't want adventure. She likes baths and feeling comfortable too much for that kind of thing. Secrets are the kind of adventure she needs. Secrets are safe, and they do much to make you different. On the inside where it counts...Now she wouldn't have to be a heroine when she returned home, except to herself. And now she knew something about secrets that she hadn't known before..."Becuase after a time having a secret and nobody knowing you have a secret is no fun. And although you don't want others to know what the secret is, you want them to at least know you have one."

WHEW! If you got through all that, congrats. And if you didn't...well, I don't blame you. :ymblushing: ;))
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby flambeau » Jan 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Yay! I have a rather large number of favorite quotes!!

Djaq wrote:"God helps those who help themselves to peanut butter." - My Dad. =)) (yes, he was totally joking)

*sighs* That's my dad! Lol! ;)

Here's some of my favorites...

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." - G.K. Chesterton. (as you can see from my current sig, I really like this quote! ;) )

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." - G.K. Chesterton.

"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it." - G.K. Chesterton.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton.

(ahem, yeah. So, I like G.K. Chesterton!)

"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to always be ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." - General 'Stonewall' Jackson. (one of the best quotes EVER!!)

"Duty is ours; the consequences are God's." - This is generally attributed to General Jackson, but if I remember correctly, he did not say it first. I'm not sure who did though.

(ahem, I like General Jackson too. :P )

"I would have died for him." - Alexander Swift Pendleton.

"I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country." - Nathan Hale. (that might be slightly paraphrased...)

Now... some slightly less serious quotes...

"Never forget the outlaws!" - Robin Hood
"You call this civilization??? There's trees out there!" - Djaq (my sister... no, she was not serious. :P )
"I'm inwardly screaming!" - "Well, you can consider yourself inwardly slapped!" - My two bosses (who are related, btw). ;))
"I'd rather not have fun than have a terrible time." - My brother. (eh, wot?)

Well, that's all for now... but trust me... "I shall return." (General Douglas McArthur. :P )

--- flambeau
"It. Doesn't. Have. To. Match."

President of the Manalive Conspiracy
Founder of Team Hoodie
Icon by me
flambeau
Moderator Emeritus
A Concerned Third Party

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Jan 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Flam wrote:"I'd rather not have fun than have a terrible time." - My brother. (eh, wot?)

I'd have to politely disagree with your brother, Flam. :P I think it would be much, much more interesting to have a terrible time then to not have fun. Maybe more unpleasant, but more interesting. ;))
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby MissAravis » Jan 28, 2010 1:58 pm

I don't have a ton, but here are a few:

"C.S. Lewis wasn't about just writing to Christians to make them better. He was about writing books that everyone could read and expand their minds. That's what music is all about, too."
-Matt Thiessen

"If you truly love someone, you're going to be pure because true love comes from God, and God tells us to remain pure. That's good enough for me."
-Jon Foreman

"Only when we try to love God will we see our utter inability to do so. And only when we understand that inability, will we begin to be in awe of His great love toward us."
-Mike Donehey

"Christianity was never meant to be a belief system, it’s meant to be an encounter with a person."
-Mike Donehey

"Never be discontent with the life you've been dealt, be discontent with the way you're living it."
-Mike Donehey

"Don't let guys see you as an 'it.'"
-Mike Donehey

(What can I say... Christian songwriters have good quotes! :P)
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Narnia Girl » Jan 28, 2010 2:11 pm

I have lots...though I'll just post a few for now.

"Weird is good, because weird is the same as different, different is the same as unique, unique means good, therefore, weird is good!" :D

"The things you're crying about today you might be laughing about ten years later...and then again, maybe not." - Mark Lowry.

"The ark was built by amateurs, and the Titanic was built by professionals." - Mark Lowry. Lol, he always cracks me up.

"Too much information can choke your brain." - The Candlestone by Bryan Davis.

"It's because I like you that I don't want to be with you. It's a complicated emotion." - Finding Nemo

I guess that's about it for now...
Founder of the Dragon Fan Club - PM me to join!
Team Hoodie!
I've met Michael English!
Avie and sig by theprincessspy.
Narnia Girl
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 28, 2010 2:24 pm

I love this thread. It means I get to go through my quote files and remember all the other threads and where I found each quote. :ymdaydream:

flambeau's brother wrote:"I'd rather not have fun than have a terrible time." - My brother. (eh, wot?)
=)) He sounds a bit like my brother.

Less is more, more or less--My brother

Days fly, just like time --My brother

When I forget, I don't usually remember to think about it --My sister

True love is no wanderer; it gives a beauty that it does not find, and forges a chain no charms can break-The Heart of Princess Osra by Anthony Hope

A thing constructed can only be loved after it is constructed, but a thing created is loved before it exists-G.K. Chesterton

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions-G. K. Chesterton

If your mind can't hold your tongue, try using your teeth-Dandelion Fire by N. D. Wilson

Muslin can never be said to be wasted. I have heard my sister say so forty times, when she has been extravagant in buying more than she wanted, or careless in cutting it to pieces-Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (I love this quote. Hehe. :p)

I constantly see old people flushed and excited by the prospect of some anticipated pleasure which altogether fails to ruffle the tranquillity of their serene grandchildren. Are we, I wonder, quite such genuine boys and girls now as our seniors were in their time? Has the great advance in education taken rather too long a stride; and are we in these modern days, just the least trifle in the world too well brought up?-The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Jan 28, 2010 4:45 pm

"Never judge a book by its movie." -J. W. Eagen
"Ah! There is nothing like staying at home, for real comfort."- Jane Austen
"Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of dissapointed love."- Jane Austen
"Angry people are not always wise."- Jane Austen
"Perhaps it is our imperfections that make us so perfect for each other!"- Jane Austen
"What strange creatures brothers are!"- Jane Austen
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby FencerforJesus » Jan 28, 2010 5:11 pm

"No matter how high, a fall will and can never harm you. It's just that sudden stop at the end." ~ unknown

"256k is all the memory anyone will ever need." ~ Bill Gates

"Mechanical Engineers build weapons. Civil Engineers build targets." ~Engineers

"I AM left handed." ~me, taken from Princess Bride

"Grace is not the freedom to do what we want, but the power to do as we ought." ~my pastor

I've got plenty more, but I wanted to stay out of the movies for now.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby narnian_at_heart » Jan 28, 2010 5:19 pm

Oh I have a ton of favorites! And I just got some new ones from reading this thread.

I'd much rather be a woman then a man. Women can cry, they can wear cute clothes, and they are the first to be rescued off of sinking ships - Gilda Radner

Indulge your imagination in every possible flight - Jane Austen

Friendship is like a bank account: you can't continue to draw on it without making deposits - Anonymous

People don't start wars; governments do - Ronald Reagan

Survival is fifty percent attitude, twenty percent perspective, and thirty percent mind-set - a wise man (seriously, that's what it said where I found the quote)

There is nothing worse than being ordinary - Unknown

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything - Aparajito Sen

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new - Einstein

If you've never done anything worth getting spanked for, you haven't lived - Ron Snell (this is one of my absolute favorites)

If one returns and stands again upon the same ground, is it he who stands there or a stranger? - Louis L'Amour in The Walking Drum

Sleep is for the weak - Veronica Smith

When in doubt, look intelligent - Garrison Keillor

He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose - Jim Elliot

New places always make you look at life differently - Harrison Beckworth-McCoy

If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world - C. S. Lewis

Only a fool is sure of anything; a wise man keeps on guessing - MacGyver

Always do what you are afraid to do - Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are not retreating; we are advancing in another direction - General Douglas McArthur (another one of my absolute favorites)

Tough times don't last; tough people do - Selena Gomez

Life is not about finding Mr. Right; it's about becoming Mrs. Right - Danny Butters
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ForeverFan » Jan 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Fantastic quotes everyone! There's quite a few really good ones here. :)

Here are several of my favourite quotes off hand. :)

"It is hard to be a Christian, but glorious. It is the most exciting venture in life- because Christ is life!"
— Dale Evans Rogers

"Never trust to general impressions, my boy, but concentrate yourself upon details."
— Arthur Conan Doyle"

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
— Winston S. Churchill
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jan 28, 2010 7:25 pm

"When His divinity meets our depravity, it is a beautiful collision."
--David Crowder * Band

"Are you badly hurt?"
"Hideously," said the king, without sounding injured at all. "I am disemboweled. My insides may in an instant become my outsides as I stand here before you."
— Megan Whalen Turner, The King of Attolia

""She's like a prisoner inside stone walls, and every day the walls get a little thicker, the doorways a little narrower."
"And?" Eddis prompted.
"Well," said Eugenides, "it's a challenge." "
-- The Queen of Attolia

Eddis sighed. "Will you sit down and stop shouting?" she asked.
"I'll stop shouting. I won't sit down. I might need to throw more inkpots."
--The Queen of Attolia

And, of course, the quote in my sig from The Thief is also a favourite.

(I do have more favourite Attolia quotes, but I don't want to go and get them at the moment. ;)) )

"The Mole was bewitched, entranced, fascinated. By the side of the river he trotted as one trots, when very small, by the side of a man who holds one spell-bound by exciting stories; and when tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea."
- The Wind in the Willows

"I don't talk about my river...But I think about it...I think about it--all the time!" --Rat, The Wind in the Willows

"Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day, with no mistakes in it yet?" -- Anne of Green Gables

"God doesn't comfort us to make us comfortable. He comforts us so that we can be comforters."

There's just a quick summary of them. :)
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 29, 2010 7:12 am

Here is some i

fry(futurama)- My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?

huber fanswarth(futurama) - Yes, it's a perfect scale model of the universe's largest bottle. I put a tiny spaceship inside to keep it from being boring.

amy wong(futurama)- Hey, let's go car shopping! My parents said if I got all B's they'd buy me a bar. And I got all C's!

so yeah enjoy, best ones i could remember, i mgith post some potc ones later.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 29, 2010 2:32 pm

I have lots!
here are some:

"With all due respect, gentlemen, I think this will be our finest hour." - Jene Cranz, "Apollo 13"

"Fireproof doesn't mean that the fire will never come, but that when it comes you will be able to withstand it." - Michael, "Fireproof"

Edmund: "Is there a way down?"
Trumpkin: "Yeah, falling." - "Prince Caspian"
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby WinterStar » Jan 29, 2010 3:10 pm

Here are a few:

"It's destiny, my love! Destiny and chicken!" -Arthur, Merlin

"It is better to be silent and let men think you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -I can't remember who said it, but it's great!

"I scream, you scream, we all scream 'CAUSE YOU FAKED YOUR DEATH!!!" -Olivia, Pushing Daisies

"I'll chop off my own arms!...Well one arm, because once I chop off one arm I won't be able to chop off the other." -Much, Robin Hood

I know I have more, but I can't think of any right now. :p
"I'm genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow!"
Avi & Sig by ValiantArcher
WinterStar
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby littlgriz » Jan 31, 2010 4:51 am

there is no pit so deep that He is not deeper still
corrie ten boom
hi thanks fore riting me
im a Member of the Gollum/Smeagol appreciation club"
littlgriz