This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Name Origins

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Name Origins

Postby Ryadian » Feb 04, 2020 9:37 pm

I'll admit, my username history has gotten a bit more embarrassing as I've gotten older. ;)) So, basically it started a few months before I made an account, and I can't stress enough that I was 13 at the time. :P

So, not long before I joined the forum, I'd been playing with some friends of mine (who were younger than me so I still got to play games like this with them ;) ). I was in a Narnian mood, so I wanted to be a princess who was a dryad, because dryads were cool. But I wanted to be a naiad, because they were cool, too. Maybe... maybe I could be half-dryad, half-naiad. A ryad, I decided.

...Yes, that is where I got my name. =)) Given how... erm, expansive my imagination was at that age, I suppose I should consider myself lucky that I didn't find some way to justify fitting star ancestry in there, too. :P I guess I decided "Ryad" would be a weird username, so I extrapolated it into "Ryadian", and... here I am.
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Feb 05, 2020 3:11 pm

It is a nice idea to learn about the various user names, everybody is using, in the one thread. I've really enjoyed reading the entries so far. :)

As for myself, though I've said it all beforehand, I've long been a fan of both Tolkien & C.S.Lewis, but never joined any fan sites or found any use for any sort of username until 2001, when the first Harry Potter Movie was filmed, thus starting my reading the books, especially as a break from work, in Christmas of 2001. In the second book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, there is a character called the Wagga Wagga Werewolf, who allegedly was caught by a tea strainer in a telephone box by the fake Wizard, Gilderoy Lockhart, who was the second of the Defence of the Dark Arts teachers in the HP series, which at that time, J K Rowling had only completed up to Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire.

When in 2005 I first joined the Harry Potter web site, the Leaky Cauldron, as an HP fan, how could I resist Wagga Wagga Werewolf as a username, for all sorts of reasons? It was fun to surmise how that series would play out, who would end up with whom & I really enjoyed analysing the characters, the themes of the books & much else. The Leaky Cauldron got me into writing articles about the HP & I ended up writing about 5 or 6 of them. They may still be on Internet for all I know. Whilst writing those articles I became increasingly aware of just how much JK Rowling owed to her childhood reading of C.S.Lewis' Narnia series for inspiration, though the Narnia Chronicles & the HP series are completely different in scope & style. There is, for instance, a distinct resemblance between The Silver Chair's Lady of the Green Kirtle, & Nagini, in the HP series, & which Narnia character would HP character, Cedric Digory, of Hufflepuff house remind you of?

At the time, at the end of 2001, I was in the very last unit of my Master's degree in Library & Information Management, a long running saga, & definitely a professional & work qualification. You see, once I married, as much as possible of my lifetime studying, as a part of being a librarian, was done by distance education, supplied from 1996 to 2002 through the Wagga Wagga Campus of Charles Sturt University. When I finally graduated from my marathon efforts, spanning six years in all, in April of 2002, we went down to Wagga Wagga, for the occasion, an uncomfortable five hour journey, with five adults crammed into a single car. With relief I recognised along the Charles Sturt Highway, as we neared the city, a little old-fashioned general store, with a regulation public telephone box, a government mail box &, I think, a petrol pump, in the front, useful for a rest stop.

It had never occurred to me on previous journeys to Wagga, just quite what a perfect place to stop to buy an ice cream, or a soft drink it was. Or to be caught in a telephone box with a now obsolete tea strainer. You could buy there a packet of tea bags, if necessary, though by 2002, even a Wagga Wagga souvenir tea strainer would be impossible for anyone but a wizard to find. /:) Such a store did have at the back, a lettuce or two, along with some ham, cheese & tomatos, allegedly the sort of food the Wagga Wagga Werewolf was reduced to eating after its encounter with Lockhart. I had just finished reading Chamber of Secrets at the time. It didn't hurt that Lockhart, noted for verandas, is the name of a small country town, 200 km or so from Wagga Wagga, though you have to go through the city to get there.

I wondered if JK Rowling knew about Wagga, as we generally call the place, or had even been there, in more than imagination. Unusually, in English literature, she did manage to include some references to Australia. By the time I finished the series, I regretted that in my final Master's degree I had not read the books earlier, because of her caricature librarian, Madame Pince, all the more so as I had been writing about the image of librarians in literature & reality. In Wagga, itself, no doubt, JK Rowling's literary allusion to the town has provided plenty of amusement, over the years, not only its mispronunciation overseas.

I joined Narnia Web in January, 2009, because I wanted to support a petition Narnia Web was running at the time to get Walden to complete the filming of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but I saw no reason to change my user name of waggawaggawerewolf, when there is another werewolf in Prince Caspian that also came to grief. :) But in late September, 2009, NarniaWeb migrated to a new site, & since I was overseas when that happened, I ended up rejoining NarniaWeb, as waggawerewolf27, a modification of my original username. I have been here ever since. ;;)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Lady Haleth » Feb 09, 2020 6:23 pm

My name is from The Silmarillion. Lady Haleth was a great warrior who led the Haladin, one of the three peoples of the Edain who were allies of the Elves. She took command after her father and brother were killed in battle, and led her people to their home in the forest of Brethil. I tend to be fond of the warrior woman type of character, so when I was picking a name she was my first choice.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous