This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

2018 Winter Olympics

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics

Postby Mrs Smooshy » Mar 08, 2018 9:53 pm

I think for women's hockey there really are only the two teams ever fighting for the gold -- America and Canada. So it is a loss more than 'winning' a silver. I mean, up here in Canada we were still pretty happy when the Canadian men won the bronze. Obviously, we would have preferred they won the gold ;). I am a little surprised none of our curlers outside the new mixed team got any medals. But I don't follow the sport myself.

Figure skating is really the main reason I watch and it was a good year for the Canadian skaters but it is weird that the mens division was our weakest link. Historically, it has always been the women. I have to admit, I am starting to not like the direction the new scoring system is moving the sport. Under the new rules I agree that the right person won but the past few years the ladies' division has been super boring. In Canada, one of our commentators was Kurt Browning and he was half-jokingly saying he was going to 'thank' Brian Boitano the next time he saw him for introducing the 'tano' jump (where they jump with their arm(s) over their heads) because when it is overdone it loses its impact. He also argued that women can't hold their arms stiff enough so it looks floppy. Of course, after he pointed it out that was all I could see. I saw an old clip of Katarina Witt and I wish skating could be like that again.
The Mr, the Mrs (that's me) and the little Smooshers....plus our cats

Fancy Signature pending......
Mrs Smooshy
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous