This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Summer Olympics 2016 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Summer Olympics 2016 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Postby fantasia » Jul 15, 2016 2:16 pm

The forum is getting quieter and quieter, so I hope there will still be a few people around that I can chat about the Olympics with this year. :)

This is going to be quite an Olympic games with all the controversy surrounding the location, the Russians being banned, health concerns... eesh!
But I did watch the USA gymnastics qualifying rounds the other night and I'm excited to watch the girls compete again. :)
I'm also looking forward to seeing Missy Franklin swim again. Four years ago she came out of nowhere and did SO well. Plus, I like her personality. ;))

Is anybody else watching this year? Do you have any favorites you plan to keep an eye on? What are your favorite sports?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: Summer Olympics 2016 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Postby aileth » Jul 15, 2016 11:02 pm

Oh dear, I nearly forgot about the Olympics :ymblushing:

I'm always thrilled when someone from Canada medals--this is about the only time that I follow any kind of sporting event--so it's fun to watch the medal count boards that pop up everywhere.

The only thing I really watch are the equestrian events--specifically the show jumping. When we lived in Calgary, I used to drag someone to Spruce Meadows for the tournaments as often as I could. Many of the Olympic riders (both North American and European) were competing there, and I still recognize their names with pleasure more than ten years later. Alas, I'm not current with the up-and-coming ones anymore.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 16, 2016 3:40 pm

aileth wrote:The only thing I really watch are the equestrian events--specifically the show jumping. When we lived in Calgary, I used to drag someone to Spruce Meadows for the tournaments as often as I could. Many of the Olympic riders (both North American and European) were competing there, and I still recognize their names with pleasure more than ten years later. Alas, I'm not current with the up-and-coming ones anymore.

I've always thought that's one of the neatest aspects of horse sports—so many equestrians are able to be active in their sport for decades. You'll sometimes find people in their fifties and sixties competing with teenagers. It's really remarkable that way!

I'm looking forward to watching the gymnastics, equestrian events and track and field. The swimming is always exciting as well. Looking forward to seeing what the opening and closing ceremonies are like, too! Always an interesting glimpse into a nation's history and culture, and it's fun watching the teams march out in their different uniforms.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby coracle » Jul 17, 2016 2:17 am

I don't watch a lot, but a teenage swimmer I know will be in the paralympics representing New Zealand. He has been doing a lot of training and I'm excited for him.
I hope to have enough time to be watching more this year.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jul 18, 2016 7:47 am

I'm definitely looking forward to the olympics the sports I'm most existed to watch are archery,gymnastics,fencing,track and field, and swimming.

I am a bit concerned with all the health and safety problems hopefully everything goes well once the games begin.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stargazer » Jul 18, 2016 6:40 pm

I enjoy watching the Olympics, and this year it'll be a relaxing way to unwind after the stress of moving by August 1.

I like the variety of sports involved, especially the swimming and gymnastics.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 21, 2016 7:52 pm

Hope I have the time to watch this year. The gymnastics are always popular here, along with swimming. I am hoping that there will be more coverage of other events this time. Archery, and shooting sports are greatly lacking in TV coverage.
I am also trying to find some coverage of the Para Olympics. Some of the ads for products have included para olympians which is very encouraging for youngsters who might otherwise have no insperation for trying these or other sports.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby daughter of the King » Jul 22, 2016 10:39 am

The TV is usually on almost the entire Olympics around here. Gymnastics and swimming tend to get more attention, but we watch almost everything.

I'm a fan of the Paralympics. I once met one of the women's wheelchair basketball athletes. Livestreaming may or may not be available depending on where you live, but their official Youtube channel has some coverage. You can also check their Facebook page.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby starkat » Aug 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Wish they would show us some of the equestrian competition on broadcast tv. I'm pretty much unable to do more than follow random bits of updates I find online.
starkat

Postby coracle » Aug 07, 2016 5:39 pm

Due to being off work sick I am getting time to watch some! This morning's news was a New Zealand athlete getting our first medal, a silver. FB provides extra comments as people say they know this or that person in an event.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby stargazer » Aug 11, 2016 5:33 pm

I've watched less Olympic coverage so far this year than usual, though I have the gymnastics on as I type this. I've mostly watched that and swimming.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 11, 2016 7:45 pm

So I've only caught bits and pieces of the Olympics, mostly swimming, but some gymnastics and one synchronized diving competition (men's; I really appreciated the interview with the silver medalist afterwards). For the most part I haven't been very impressed with NBC's coverage, especially of gymnastics: they seem to skip a lot and show a lot of waiting around when they could've been showing non-US routines. They only showed one Russian vault during the last womens' team finals. :P

I've seen far more swimming this year than I usually do, which has been interesting. There have been some upsets, which have been interesting. And I just saw the women's 100M freestyle and, wow! What a race! :D How exciting for Simone Manuel and Penny Oleksiak. :D

My favourite thing to watch, though, has definitely been the Iron Lady's husband whenever she gets gold. ;))

Also, maybe they've done really well on the races I haven't seen, but it seems like there have been quite high hopes/expectations on a lot of the Australian swimmers but they haven't medaled much? Is that correct, or have they medaled on the races I've missed?
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby fantasia » Aug 12, 2016 1:57 pm

Yesterday was the day of Simone I guess. ;)) Congratulations to both Simones on their gold metals. :D Very much enjoyed the ladies' gymnastics all around.
Also kudos to Michael Phelps and Katie Ledesky :ymapplause:

I was tipped off by a FB friend (and former NarniaWebber... I think Menelve? Not 100% sure) that even though I pay for UVerse's internet only, it's good enough for NBC's app to stream all of the events live on my phone. I can tell you I've been taking full advantage of that! Today I watched Tumbling, which I love almost as much as gymnastics. I've also peeked in on Table Tennis, Judo, Fencing, Equestrian Dressage, and some other sports like Field Hockey which I just wasn't familiar with. :D

I think my kids will be happy when the Olympics are over though. They've been seriously neglected. :ymblushing: But they were enjoying the gymnastics too. It reignited my son's interest in gymnastics again. He's been asking to go all week. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby starkat » Aug 15, 2016 9:02 am

I've been very grateful that Menelve helped us get the app up and running. I'm watching the Dressage freestyle at the moment. Charlotte and Valegro just went. OH WOW...

Speaking as someone who has made the move from western to hunters and now to dressage, I have a mere inkling of what goes into a ride like that. They are by far the best team out there right now.

I watched some of the cross country. Most of the errors I saw were rider related, but that was a seriously wicked course. The turns left no room for error and they only had like 3 clean rides under time. The stadium jumping I only got a few minutes in on. The brown oxer was actually wider than it was tall and the water is tricky. They finally started adapting to it, but it seems like it's an overall good solid course. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next round.
starkat

Postby fantasia » Aug 18, 2016 3:00 pm

I've been watching Olympics almost non-stop. Absolutely love it! This should get me my sports fix until Winter Olympics 2018. ;))

After gymnastics, I've been watching diving and synchronized swimming quite a bit. SS is particularly interesting because it's not something I normally get to watch on TV. And diving is just beautiful soooo... ;))

Also watched a bit of Taekwondo yesterday and saw a really good bout where the one guy snuck in a kick right at 1 second left, and won! I think it was between Iran and Morocco?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Adeona » Aug 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Now that the Olympics are over, I'm curious what y'all's favorite moment's were? I have to say, mine was probably Simone Manuel's win - it was incredible how she gave all credit to God in the post-win interview. :) :ymapplause: I'll be trying to keep her in my prayers.

Unfortunately, the worst incident is probably that whole Lochte scandal. 8-|

Too bad I didn't catch any of the riding, from starkat's report it sounds intense!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Next