This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Aug 21, 2017 - Eclipse in Missouri (hopefully), come join us

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Aug 21, 2017 - Eclipse in Missouri (hopefully), come join us

Postby stargazer » Sep 29, 2016 5:07 pm

That's awesome, King_Erlian! Looking forward to meeting you.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby King_Erlian » Sep 30, 2016 2:09 am

Likewise!
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Feb 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Posting a very brief update for those who are thinking of coming still. (Hope the couple of you on here that are still considering decide to come!!!)

August 19 - Arrival at the designated moot house in Columbia, MO! :D The evening will probably be spent sitting around chit-chatting, playing games and what-not.

August 20 - A day to travel out and about in the Columbia, Jefferson City, and/or surrounding area. See the sites, try the local food, etc. If it appears that the weather will not cooperate on the 21st, this day will then be spent desperately trying to come up with a Plan B to view the eclipse.

August 21 "Eclipse Day!" - Breakfast, set up in the yard to view the eclipse, view the eclipse, spend most of the day snacking. Again in the evening we'll probably keep things fairly low-key, as well as starting the process of packing up and cleaning up the house we're staying in.

August 22 - Departure day. :( We'll probably head out and grab breakfast somewhere after the house we stay in is spic and span, and then head our different directions. For those heading to or through Kansas City, I'd love to swing by the Kansas City Public Library for a photo op in front of their awesome book facade.

That's as far as I've gotten with the planning. For those who are coming, if there is a place you would like to visit and/or eat at, please speak up and say so! I don't want to hear any crying about where we eat or what we do if I'm left to plan by myself. ;) ;)) :P (For those who have offered suggestions, thank you! :) )
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » Mar 21, 2017 3:53 pm

aileth and The Rose-Tree Dryad, I'm curious if you are leaning one way or another on whether or not you can join us in August?

In case you're interested (or anyone else for that matter), the short itinerary is as follows:

Aug 19, Arrive at the house, hang out, relax, chit-chat
Aug 20, Tour Jacob's Cave in the middle of MO. Later that day, visit the capital and surrounding areas in Jefferson City.
Aug 21, View the eclipse, and record a podcast with Glumpuddle that evening
Aug 22, Head out. For those going through KC, we plan to visit the public library for pictures of their awesome book facade and potentially some other fun thing.

And just as an fyi so people know what's going on, I invited the mods/staff to come to my house afterwards, so some may do that.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 22, 2017 2:31 pm

I was just going to pm you about this, fantasia! Good timing. ;))

My summer is shaping up to be a really busy one and I may be relocating around August on top of everything else, so it's looking like a no from me. Shame, because it sounds like you guys are going to have a terrific time! Going spelunking is such a brilliant idea with SC coming up... be sure to be on the lookout for some of those chinks and chasms leading into Narnia. ;) Sad to miss out on the fun, but I'm looking forward to hearing all the stories and listening to the podcast! :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby aileth » Mar 23, 2017 8:47 am

Oh dear! Alack a day! It looks less and less likely for me also. * :(( copiously*

I haven't quite given up hope, for matters can alter radically within a very short time.
*reviews past few months, and nods sagely* Therefore, things could change again and make it possible. I do want to come still; my Mom needs me right now, so unless things work out differently for her, it just won't happen. :(( :((

I don't have to hope you will have a great gathering: I know you will. (My one teensiest consolation: I won't miss meeting Rosie, if she won't be there either. But then there's everyone else :(( )

"If I must miss it, I must miss it." *misquotes freestyle while bravely mopping up puddle of tears*
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Shawna » Jun 06, 2017 9:13 am

I also live in one of the cities the eclipse is going through, and there's been a lot of talk about it. Sounds like we'll have a lot of family (and possibly others) at our house that weekend. One of my co-workers is trying to get licensed to rent out some of her land as campsites for that time. And I recently heard that a handful regular camp sites had opened up and got snapped up right away--at $20,000 a night. Which seems nuts to me, but whatever.
author webpage: http://shawnacanon.com
Shawna
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby stargazer » Jul 03, 2017 4:56 pm

Clear skies, Shawna! From what I've read the main factor of weather on the West Coast is proximity to the ocean (or the Cascades), both of which may cause fog or low clouds in the morning when totality crosses your area.

The August print issues of both Astronomy and Sky and Telescope magazines are out, filled with all sorts of useful tips. A couple I hadn't thought of are below:

-Bring a chair (perhaps a collapsible lawn or camping chair). The buildup to totality is about 90 minutes, even longer if you're in position before the partial phase begins. Standing that whole time might get long.

-For those going to Missouri, a large event nearby might influence traffic congestion should clouds force people to move that day:

Mizzou is sponsoring a viewing event at its stadium, with upwards of 70,000 attendees possible.

For those near KC, Astronomy is sponsoring an event at an airport in St Joseph with over 100,000 spectators expected. Whew!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 05, 2017 6:59 pm

As I will be working :(( my best bet will be to convince the boss to let me go outside to catch the estimated 80%coverage they predict for this location. I might even borrow a welders mask from the maintenance department.
Pictures! We will need to see a lot of pictures! ;)
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Jul 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Stargazer, can you give any link to details of watching the eclipse from other places? (I will be in England, for instance - will it be visible there?)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby stargazer » Jul 05, 2017 11:54 pm

coracle, a very general map of visibility appears here.

The interactive map (which only shows the path of totality but can be used to get times and details for any location) is here.

This eclipse favors North America. London, for example, only sees about 4% of the sun covered just as it sets.
stargazer

Postby stargazer » Aug 03, 2017 8:24 am

Sly and Telescope has issued this article highlighting things to look for during the eclipse. Most of the action is associated with totality, another reminder that if you happen to live close to the path of totality it's worth checking it out.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 11, 2017 7:14 pm

I got the day off :D Now I just have to be carefull to wear eye protection B-)
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Aug 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Enjoy, Puddleglum!

The spaceweather website has an amusing way to view the partial phases of the eclipse. I've mentioned looking at the ground under trees to see crescent shapes projected by gaps between the leaves. Apparently the tiny holes in snack crackers (like Ritz) have the same effect. ;)) Also, try criss-crossing your fingers (shadow-puppet style) to get a similar view.

Edited to add:

I checked the website of a Columbia TV station (KOMU TV) for an early forecast. We're still too far out for reliable predictions, but the long-range forecast calls for partly cloudy skies (chance of a thunderstorm) along with warm and humid conditions (highs around 90F, dewpoints around 70F, and a heat index around 100F).

That same station aired a half-hour program that gives a good introductory level description of how eclipses occur, what to look for, along with some local flavor: local events and some comments about potential traffic snarls that morning. For example, over 12 million people live in the path of totality with 264 million more within a reasonably easy drive. Missouri expects a million tourists that day. The Missouri DOT is suspending construction projects in the area that day, and some towns along I-70 will close schools that day. Cloudy weather could result in one of the largest traffic jams ever...not to mention if everyone wants to leave right after totality ends. (Another reason to relax and enjoy the post-totality partial phases).
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Aug 14, 2017 6:16 am

I've been watching the weather. I probably shouldn't, it's adding to my stress. :P I continue to pray that it's clear.
Being stuck in gridlocked traffic with a four year old, two year old, and four month old is not an option. If it's not clear, I won't see it.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Aug 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Hopefully it will be clear!

Sharing this here as well as FB:

Some sites are offering refunds for viewing glasses that may not be safe despite having the appropriate certification (ISO 12312 2 2015). To make sure your glasses are safe, check the list of reputable manufacturers and vendors posted by the American Astronomical Society.
stargazer

PreviousNext