This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

NaNoWriMo '15: It's Over

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: NaNoWriMo '15: It's Here!

Postby wild rose » Nov 11, 2015 12:13 pm

I reached the half way mark! \:D/ *dances a jig* 25k for me

(26,015 words to be exact :) )

My novels started out really slowly at first, but now they are moving along quite nicely, it got better when I took some time to plan out the plots :) I'm really hoping I don't get stuck again...but of course with novels you never know what's around the river bend ;))
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Meltintalle » Nov 11, 2015 2:36 pm

Congratulations, wrose! That's fabulous! :D

So glad you're joining us this year, DamselJillPole. All the best with your writing endeavors.

I think I've finally hit my stride with this story, but it's still rocky going and I'm still behind. ;)) How's the second week going for everyone else?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby shastastwin » Nov 12, 2015 5:35 am

Well, I feel as though I'm behind in the story despite being ahead in word count. I keep having to delay things because story. ;))

Seriously, though, this has been my best NaNo ever in terms of my own mental health. I'm not focused on the words because I'm determined to finish my chapter at the end of the day so I can send it to my beta readers.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby stargazer » Nov 12, 2015 3:40 pm

That's great, stwin and wild rose. Good luck to all our WriMos.

I'm crawling toward 10k, so I remain behind, but did some serious catching up today. Must be the rainy, windy weather outside not being a temptation. ;))

I'm not sure why, but I'm excited about writing my story...until I sit down at the keyboard, when the words may or may not be so cooperative.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby wild rose » Nov 20, 2015 12:50 pm

So as of today you can begin validating :D I haven't reached 50k yet, being at 45,000 words, but though I plan to reach to coveted 50,000 by this weekend, I won't validate until the 30th because I want to achieve the 'updated for 30 days badge' ;)) it was literally the only thing that kept me writing everyday :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby aileth » Nov 21, 2015 9:56 am

Good news, wrose! I'm only at 34,000. Still achievable, but cutting it close. Especially since I want to finish the book, as well as reach 50K.

What's making it hard is that my chapters are ending up shorter. Last year they averaged 2000-2500, meaning one chapter=one day. This story's chapters are more in the line of 800-1000, meaning that I have to write two or three to reach my daily goal. All psychological, I know, but it's still there.

Aside from that, though, the story is going well.

Keep writing, everyone!
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby SummerSnow » Nov 26, 2015 10:45 am

Congrats, wrose, for getting so many words!
How far are you now, aileth? :)

NaNo is almost over! It's really weird, because it went by very quickly. I'm currently a little bit behind and I'm a bit stuck on my story, but as long as I don't let it drag on, I'm not too worried about catching up.
Of course, I'm not sure how much writing I'll be doing today, but tomorrow and Saturday, perhaps I'll get a lot done.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby aileth » Nov 27, 2015 9:49 am

46,022 is the current count, Summer. Good thing it's going to be the weekend :)

Right now I feel like writing to 50,000 +1, and finishing with:

"Then this happened (sub-penultimate plot point),
this happened (penultimate plot point),
and then this happened (final plot point). The END."

Somehow I'm afraid that it wouldn't be wholly satisfactory. Rats!!
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth

Postby stargazer » Nov 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Congrats to those who've reached 50k! I can't believe how fast this month has gone.

I blame real life distractions and preparations for a December trip for my lack of words...but it's at least partly due to a lack of discipline on my part. Too many distractions.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby shastastwin » Nov 28, 2015 7:51 pm

I passed 50k last night. I'm pushing forward to the end of the novel. It's going to be 60-70k total by my estimation. I'm in the climax/denouement sequence.

Good luck to those still working on their novels! Congrats to those who have completed them.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby SummerSnow » Nov 28, 2015 8:24 pm

aileth, you are doing pretty well and with the weekend, I'm sure you'll be able to soon pass by 50k! I find myself wanting to do something similar, but it wouldn't be very satisfactory in the long run.

Congrats, shastastwin! I hope you get as far as you would like by the end of NaNo.

I'm still at 46k. I've lost all pretenses of motivation and am working extremely hard to push myself to finish it up. I've gone completely off course, but it has given me some ideas of a foundation for my story, so I'm happy with that.

And to those who are still working as I am: keep on writing! Finish strong, even if you don't make your desired word count.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby Meltintalle » Nov 29, 2015 12:22 pm

It seems there is a small club of us who are ready to be done with the story even though we're not quite to 50K. I am a card carrying member myself. ;))

I feel like I'm more writing around the ending instead of doing an actual ending. Hopefully I can nail it down today. As Valia told me yesterday, "If you don't write it, nobody will." (Well, it was something like that, anyway... )

I hope you made a little progress, even with all the distractions, gazer!
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby MoonlightDancer » Nov 29, 2015 4:55 pm

I feel like I can officially say I'm a loser now. I just reached 20,000 words. It turns out that the story was, and is, too important to me. I wanted every chapter to be perfect, and perfection cannot come during Nano. A sacrifice had to be made. But, enough excuses. I hope to share my fragment of a novel and I look forward to reading other people's. Feel free to talk/buddy me on the nano site.
Forever a proud Belieber

Live life with the ultimate joy and freedom.
MoonlightDancer
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Location: I'll be up in the stars, I'll be anywhere you are...

Postby stargazer » Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm

We're not losers, Moonlight Dancer; we just didn't reach the magic mark of 50k words. I barely got over 11k. :ymblushing: But I had fun fleshing out some of the mythology of my story, and wouldn't you know it, now that November is over the words are flowing like crazy. ;))

The story is almost 67k now and I still have a lot of writing to do. Maybe I'll finish it before next NaNo rolls around, or work on it during Camp NaNo in 2016.
stargazer

Postby aileth » Dec 02, 2015 8:59 am

Just barely squeaked through--about a hundred words over, but I finished the book, which is really my main goal. A day late :-\

As you point out, 'gazer, there's more to it than just word count.
aileth

Re: NaNoWriMo '15: It's Over

Postby wild rose » Dec 06, 2015 6:38 am

I agree that there aren't any losers :) You got 20,000 words written, that is a wonderful achievement in itself.

I finished with 65k :) On the 30th of November we had a power cut for most of the day and I was paranoid that it wouldn't come on and I wouldn't be able to validate....which would have been a real tragedy for me. I had over 65,000 honest words written and not be able to win just because there was no electricity. Thankfully the power came on at 9 pm and I was able to validate :)

Congrats to all the winners, and a hearty congrats to all who participated. It was an awesome experience and it doesn't matter if you win or not, at least your story was getting written and that's the most important thing.

So, the big question is...what do you plan to do with your story/novel now? :-?
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

PreviousNext