This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Movies Thread!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Movies Thread!

Postby SnowAngel » Dec 31, 2016 5:36 pm

Since there aren't any more Hallmark Christmas movies, my brother has actually been watching movies with the girls. In the last two weeks we have watched all three Hobbit movies, RED, Olympus Has Fallen, The Fellowship of the Ring, London Has Fallen, and RED 2.

I'm not sure when I had last watched an action movie, but it had been a while. So I really enjoyed watching Olympus Has Fallen, London Had Fallen, and the RED movies. Of course I would enjoy Olympus Has Fallen since the plot is similar one of my favorite video games Splinter Cell: Conviction. B-)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby fantasia » Dec 31, 2016 6:13 pm

I love RED. ;)) I didn't care for the sequel, but the first one just cracked me up. Never heard of London or Olympus. I'll have to look those up.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby SnowAngel » Jan 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Yeah, I have to agree with you, FK, the sequel wasn't nearly as good as the first. But RED was highly entertaining. ;)

Both Olympus and London are R-rated for lots of violence and blood and f-bombs, but both are still great over the top action flicks. And there is going to be a third movie. B-)

There is a new mystery on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries channel this weekend. Hooray for the debut murder mystery of 2017! ;) The preview offers a tantalizing glimpse of Garage Sale Mystery: Art of Murder; I am under the impression that Martin Cummins (Mayor Gowan in When Calls The Heart), who appears to be the murderer, will play his role well.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby fantasia » Jan 31, 2017 8:24 am

*arrives to gush over the latest Beauty and the Beast trailer* It looks sooooo good. I don't know if I'll see it in the theaters or not though, it's awfully close to my due date. And my babies don't like it when I go see movies in the theater, it's too loud. They squirm and kick through the whole thing. :P That's the reason I still haven't seen Rogue One even though I'd like to.

I watched Kubo and the Two Strings the other night and enjoyed it. :) I especially liked the music and the art was gorgeous as well.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 13, 2017 12:26 pm

I talked my sister into watching Tears of the Sun over the weekend, had to promise to watch a Hallmark movie the next night. She says she has now watched her R-rated movie quota for the year. Guess that means I will have to watch Body of Lies, The Patriot, and Black Hawk Down by myself, of the three movies the only one I have watched in the last two years was Black Hawk Down that was almost two years ago. So I figure it's been long enough to be time for a rewatch of each.

Anyone have any recommendations for action movies? My library has fairly large selection of movies, but I am not sure what to look for. I would ask my brother, but he and I don't always see eye to eye on movie content right now.

And has anyone seen American Sniper? My Dad bought it ages ago, but I haven't watched it although I have read the book. I was thinking I might borrow my brother's room when he isn't home and watch it.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby johobbit » Feb 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Did you like the newest Matt Damon Bourne movie, Snow Angel?

We try and watch a DVD about once each week or two. Since Christmas we have seen ...

*Alive—the gripping and intense story of the desperate survival of members of a Uruguayan rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes in 1972. Highly recommended. The book's good too!

*Hidden Figures (in the theatre): go see it! (I just ordered the book!)

*The Pianist: the telling of Władysław Szpilman, a professional pianist "who struggles to survive the destruction of the Warsaw ghetto in WWII". Superb film. And very, very difficult. Again, the book is excellent.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: again, so well done and so hard. And the book - two thumbs up!

Apollo 13: always a favourite, as is the book.

My most anticipated film of 2017 is Dunkirk (releases in July), the story of the Allied forces evacuation from the beaches of France against impossible odds in WWII. Directed by Christopher Nolan. I am not sure if I can handle seeing it on the big screen, so may have to wait until the DVD.

Hoping to rewatch The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler again in the next month or so, as well as Valkyrie, and A Beautiful Mind.
johobbit

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 22, 2017 10:39 pm

Jo, I haven't seen the new Bourne movie yet. I placed a hold on the DVD at the library late last year and after two months they finally got their copy in, but I think it will still be a month or more before I get my hands on it. /:)

Friday night couple of siblings and myself watched Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. I love the "scary" Abbott and Costello movies. :D

I haven't seen The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler, but the library has it. I should get it the next time I am there.

If only Valkyrie had an alternate ending, then it would be worth rewatching. ;)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby fantasia » Feb 26, 2017 1:52 pm

I finally got around to watching 'Sully' last night and REALLY enjoyed it. My only complaint was they needed a "bad guy" so they had the government agency representatives act like stuck-up morons. It is my opinion that that was completely unnecessary. Aside from that, I loved everything else about it. :D I'm ready to watch it again.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » Mar 18, 2017 11:55 am

We went and saw a double feature of Beauty and the Beast and Star Wars: Rogue One last night. I enjoyed Star Wars very much except I found the very final scene with Princess Leia to not fit at all with the beginning of A New Hope.

Beauty and the Beast on the other hand I found pretty disappointing. The parts I enjoyed with the scenes that were copied straight from the animated film. Everything else that they added simply detracted from the movie imho. I liked the Beast's new song, but the rest of the songs were meh.
The one scene I DID like was when Maurice was thrown in prison for picking a rose. That's straight out of the original story. :)

Maybe I'm biased because B&tB is my favorite fairy tale and my favorite Disney animated feature, so any change is just :P , but yeah... didn't care for it.

Anybody else see it and like it? Dislike it?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Avra » Mar 20, 2017 12:42 pm

Had a very movie-filled weekend. Saw Beauty and the Beast this weekend with my Mom...what a delightful movie! I enjoyed the new songs and appreciated the added character moments.
Then went home and watched Loving in DVD. It's really good...just remember to bring tissues!

I want to see A United Kingdom. I've heard it's really, really good. Has anyone seen it? Is it
Sheldon: A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink. The bartender replies "for you, no charge".

Proud sister of an Aspie (Aspergers)
Hannah's Scribblings
Avra
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 23, 2017 8:55 pm

The DVD for Jason Bourne is finally in at the library, planning to watch it this weekend.

I watched American Sniper with my Dad and brother earlier this month. It was quite good, even knowing the ending it was still a tearjerker for me and my Dad. I was impressed with Bradley Cooper's portrayal of Chris Kyle.

Arva, I have heard of A United Kingdom as well, but haven't seen it. Would to hear your thoughts on it if you get to see it.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby fantasia » Apr 05, 2017 6:16 am

Last night I watched 'My Cousin Vinny' as I had seen about 60% of it before on TV, but hadn't ever watched the whole thing. I really liked it except for one major issue.... yet another movie where they had to cram in as many R-rated words as possible. 8-|
My husband and I were once again wishing for a company that would release toned down TV versions of movies as opposed to Unrated movies. We'd buy lots of movies then. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ValiantArcher » Apr 23, 2017 5:46 pm

I saw Queen of Katwe over this weekend. If you haven't heard of it, it's about a teenage Ugandan chess player; on one hand, it's kind of an underdog sports story, but on the other, it's about chess and it's based off a real and recent (2011?) story. We enjoyed it a lot; it was both simultaneously more heart-breaking and more hilarious than I anticipated. ;)) I had a little bit of trouble following the timeline and connections between the scenes on occasion, but I think that was a combination of editing choices, learning to keep track of the characters/actors, and the fact it takes place over several years. I loved the credits where they brought out both the actor and the actual person they were portraying, along with the "here's what happened" info. :D
I was sad to hear that it did terribly at the box office. :( I wanted to see it in theaters, but it came out right before a family wedding and I didn't recover quickly enough from it to catch it in the theater.
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Sonny » Apr 27, 2017 4:46 am

Anyone looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 next week! I'm so excited!!! I'm a sucker for anything released as part of the MCU. It took them a few movies to hit their stride, but I've especially been enjoying Phases 2 and 3.
Sonny
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Apr 27, 2017 7:00 am

This is the second of two movies I'm looking forward to this year :D I don't know when I will get to see it as I have a newborn now, but yes, I'm excited for it.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Sonny » Apr 28, 2017 3:55 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:This is the second of two movies I'm looking forward to this year :D I don't know when I will get to see it as I have a newborn now, but yes, I'm excited for it.

Well I'd come babysit for you! I have an IMAX 14 minutes from my house, so I'm hoping to see it there!

What's the other one you're looking forward to?
Sonny
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext