The Movies Thread!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Movies Thread!

Postby Sonny » Jul 22, 2017 4:37 am

I'll admit that I too liked Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman, and I loved Wonder Woman. I have no idea what they were doing with Suicide Squad. I kinda hated that movie, but I didn't dislike the other ones the way some people did.

I got to see Spiderman: Homecoming opening weekend with two good friends. I thought it was pretty great! It was a departure I think form most non-ensemble MCU movies, but I'm guessing that has to do with the fact that this is the first MCU movie featuring a teenager as the lead. As far as high-school dramas, I think this is possibly the best one I've ever seen. It fit nicely into the MCU without feeling overshadowed by the Avengers. The significant plot twist at the end was a delight (even if a little forced?). I admit I was a little annoyed with how they slipped in Tony Stark proposing to Pepper Potts... in a Spiderman film?!. Overall, I gave it a 7/10 stars on IMDB. Not as good as Guardians 1 and 2 or Ant-Man, but still excellent.

In that vein, I'm very much looking forward to Thor: Ragnarok (Cate Blanchett anyone?!?!), Black Panther (super happy to see a large cast of POC), and Avengers: Infinity War (Avengers meet Guardians!!!).

With the release of the first trailer for the remake of A Wrinkle in Time I'll be rewatching the 2003 version. It'll be fun to see the updated movie, with better special effects too.
Sonny
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: The Movies Thread!

Postby johobbit » Aug 21, 2017 12:08 pm

SnowAngel from back in February wrote:I haven't seen The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler, but the library has it. I should get it the next time I am there.

If only Valkyrie had an alternate ending, then it would be worth rewatching.

Have you been able to see Sendler yet? Indeed, Valkyrie has a most difficult conclusion, but the courage of these men to stand up to the end to the Hitler and the Third Reich is so powerful. I ask myself, would I be able to do the same?

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but a favourite film (true story) of ours from the early 1940s is Sophie Scholl: The Final Days. Having just read the mind and heart-blowing books this year—The White Rose: Munich 1942-1943 by sister Inge Scholl and Sophie Scholl and the White Rose by Annette Dumbach and Jud Newborn—the bravery of these bright, insightful, astute young people is astounding.

AJ wrote:Speaking of how true stories are changed, I was upset when I read the book of Hidden Figures after seeing it in the cinema. The movie changes almost everything, and several of the scenes which I found striking and powerful aren't based on anything. I still like the movie a lot, but I have to wonder why they changed so much. Couldn't they have told a different, more truthful story?

Agreed! The book is really so different from the film. Same baseline, and a few similar details, but that's about it. Read the book, gang ... it's excellent! The movie is very inspiring, to be sure, but I, too, wish they had based it more on the book.

Anhun wrote:Has anyone else seen "Eye in the Sky"?

At your recommendation, I looked into this more, then purchased it a few weeks ago. A fascinating, extremely intense, and thought-provoking story. It raises a number of hard ethical questions, intended by the director (from the extras).

I have had a chance to watch a few films this summer:

The Man Who Never Was: about a very unusual (and successful) Allied espionage plan in WWII. I had never heard this story before ... fascinating! The movie was made not too long after the war, in 1956.

Luther: a brand-new documentary, which tells more of the story of this great reformer, without mincing his weak areas. This was made on the occasion of the 500th anniversary (this October) of the posting of his famous 95 theses.

The Kite Runner: I read the book years ago and was really gripped by it. What a powerful, moving, and hopeful story. It's fictional, but reads quite like a bio. The movie was very faithful and portrayed the account well. A hard story that shows the harsh reality of life in Afghanistan.

P.S. I can't believe I didn't mention Dunkirk, released in theatres a month ago. 'Tis an excellent WWII film by Christopher Nolan—his first non-fiction—of that miraculous evacuation of the Allies from Dunkirk beach. I had to see it a couple of times to put everything together and even the third time, I was still picking up on various bits. Apparently there is a Dunkirk veteran in Calgary, Alberta, who was moved to tears because of the realism and memories for him. Dear man.

Sometime the dialogue is tricky to understand, especially that of the pilots with their accents and masks over their faces. When we get the DVD, subtitles will go on, for sure.

Overall, though, there is not much dialogue in the film. Yet the storyline is portrayed so powerfully through this very dramatic transpiring event in 1940, as well as via the characters' silent, heroic actions and facial expressions.

The next film release I am anticipating is Darkest Hour (Nov. 22), the telling of Winston Churchill's extremely intense and decisive early days as PM in a terrible time. It looks excellent, with Gary Oldman :-o as Churchill. (I would never have recognized Oldman!)
johobbit

Previous