This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

A near miss

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

A near miss

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 28, 2015 4:27 am

Earlier my sister and I went down to the shopping centre to get icecream near where I live. My sister needed the bathroom, so we walked there. A lady tried to stop us but my sister told her she need to go to the bathroom. I was frightened at this point that she may follow us but there was no way to give this signal to my sister without the women see/hearing. I didn't want to leave my sister by herself going to the bathroom either.

So, she did follow us and she said "you have got to come out sometime", "all I wanted was some money, you were both so rude to me out there"(no idea how she got that. Than she made up something about her sister dying(likely made up to make us feel sorry for her), she said "I will take you both on"(meaning fight her). I said I had a few dollars. she threatened to bash us if i didn't give her the money and both aplogise. We did all this and left.

Than we remember we may have seen another lady go in before us. So we called security to notify them. The lady was fine, but the women(the one asking for money) had escaped.

This shopping centre is in a decent area and this was at 5:30pm(still very light at this time of the year in Aus).

I thought I would share this and wonder if something similar has happened to any of you?
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Re: A near miss

Postby Shadowlander » Feb 03, 2015 8:29 pm

So this woman approached you and became loud and demanded money? Was she a shopkeeper or something? That's the kind of situation where if you don't see security handy and they get a little pushy you pull out the mace B-) It sounds like you were borderline mugged....
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 03, 2015 9:13 pm

No, she was a general customer/lurker of the shopping centre. Luckily I don't carry much money on me anyway. So if she did steal my handbag it would not have been worth it for her.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby coracle » Feb 04, 2015 2:36 am

There are often people begging in shopping centres and bus depots - they tell the kind looking people that they have lost their wallet, or just ask if they could give them a dollar towards their bus fare...
Some of these people are genuine, and every once in a while I will help someone (give them the benefit of the doubt).
But if they threaten me, or act in an odd way I would not, and if possible I would raise my voice enough for another person to hear me, and say something like "No, I am not going to give you my money".
Clearly this woman followed you to a place with nobody else around, and has done this sort of thing before.
Giving her some money, looking at her carefully so yo can give the police a description, and going home unharmed is the best option - but it isn't nice!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 04, 2015 2:59 am

They are all over the university busport(who knows why, students don't have any money haha). I usually give them $1 or $2 if I have it but usually I am lucky to have 50cents on me, since there is eftpos everywhere now and I have an automatic re-loadable bus card I do not see the need to carry money.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Feb 06, 2015 7:04 pm

We have the same here, although the same people can usually get the same amount by simply panhandling for it. I've not heard of anyone pretending to be asking for money cornering people and demanding they give them cash. If this is something that happens often, as you say ILF, you may want to start carrying pepper spray. Seriously.
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 07, 2015 5:58 am

No this doesn't happen often. Though there are heaps of people generally begging at the busstop, who are not threatening or whatever.

I just read up on pepper spray. It is legal to carry it in Western Australia but not some of the other states. Someone was jailed last year for it in NSW I believe.

Well it's good that it is legal! You basically just aim for the eyes and it incapacitates them for a minute or two, long enough for you to make good your escape. Or you could carry an air horn. That'd definitely freak them out =))
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Feb 10, 2015 9:41 pm

Panhandlers usually tend to not be so pushy. At least not those I have encountered. But I have heard of instances like yours. Usually they tend to be all bluff, and telling them to back off works. But with an individual actually threatening it's best to be safe. if you do not have pepper spray, or are not permitted to carry it by law, it would be prudent to have remained in the restroom, and called the police. If you have no cell phone make as much racket as you can to attract attention of others.
If the person becomes physically aggressive I can only suggest a good self defence. such as a good heavy purse with something hard in it.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 11, 2015 12:02 am

I like having my uni textbooks on me, those things could knock someone out. This women was actually small, so it wouldn't have been too bad if she became aggressive, since it would have been two of us against her. She was an Aboriginal women, and some of them tend to play the "racism" card as soon as you don't give them money. Though I shouldn't have to give anyone money, I am a student for goodness sake.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot