This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Christmas Decorations

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Christmas Decorations

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Dec 12, 2014 7:09 pm

It is the time of year when one can't go very far without seeing Christmas decorations. Here's the thread to discuss them.
Some discussion starters:
What are your likes?
What are your dislikes?
What do you consider tacky?
When should decorations go up?
When should they come down?

A few answers from me:
What do you consider tacky?
INFLATABLES! I thought I had seen everything until I saw a Tigger inflatable protruding from an apartment balcony. x_x

When should decorations go up?
AFTER THANKSGIVING!
When should they come down?
January 6th
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: Christmas Decorations

Postby SummerSnow » Dec 16, 2014 2:08 pm

I think Christmas decorations should be put up after Thanksgiving. I admit I'm the kind of person who, as soon as all the guests had left and everything had been cleaned up, would start putting up Christmas decorations. So, I wouldn't mind if someone did that, but it's probably best to wait till the day or Saturday after. I've never really thought when to put them down, but sometime in early January sounds good.

I like a variety of Christmas decorations. I like the colorful baubles, especially if they have some sort of pretty design on it. I think the ones that are simply one color can be done so that it looks nice, but in general, they're a bit bland for me. Snowflakes and stars, if done correctly, look rather nice. I also like crosshatching designs with silver or gold. I also like glass and differently shaped ornaments. I do like sparkles, as long it's not on every single ornament and decoration you have.

I also really love colored lights. I like to hang them in my bedroom. It casts a really pretty glow and is really pretty. Of course, they also look nice on Christmas trees and on the outside of houses, especially from a distance. I like snowglobes and we also have Christmas music things. We have an egg that has been painted and if you open the door, there's a scene inside of a Christmas tree decoration. It plays music and spins. It's not a music box, but I can't think of the right word for it. I've always thought it looked so elegant and beautiful, though.

There are also stars which I've grown to love. I originally thought they were made out of a thick paper or cardboard, but all the ones I've seen up close turned out to be made from metal. Basically they have holes (rather shapes) in the metal and the light shines through. I like all of them, but the colored ones add a bit more, I think.

I don't always mind inflatables, but I think most of the Christmas ones are rather distasteful. Like giant Santas. I find Santa a bit creepy, so that might be why I dislike it, though. :p Because of that, I also dislike most decorations that have to do with Santa. The exception to that are the ones that have to do with reindeer (not inflatables) that are out in the yard. I don't like the unrealistic ones, but the other ones are pretty nice. Perhaps not something I'd have in my yard, but I like seeing them every once in a while.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby johobbit » Dec 22, 2014 6:35 pm

I am utterly shocked that Shadowlander has not posted in here yet. ;)) Grace us your words, SL! :D

As for decorations going up after Thanksgiving, ours is in mid-October, so that is rather early. /:) ;) However, by mid-end of November, I pull out the boxes and start filling the house with festive cheer, but I promise I won't tell you, Twig's or Summer, if I begin before the U.S. Thanksgiving. ;)

Any decorations that represent snow are very appealing to me: some I leave up all year 'round so I can look at them in 100° temps in the summer. ;)) I love green garland and white and coloured mini lights (ditto on the pretty glow, Summer). They are so cozy and comforting.

I've mentioned this other years, as well, but we have a very cool thornwood Nativity scene I bartered for in Jos, Nigeria, decades ago, and that is very special in our home.

Dislikes? Too much Santa stuff. He's okay, but modern-day Claus kinda irks me. :p

Inflatables? I would never buy one, and I think they make lawns look really sloppy and messy, especially when they're deflated. :p

As for taking decorations down, the ones that are to be packed away, I usually have down by mid-January, but one year, for fun, we decided to leave our live tree up as long as it wasn't dropping copious amounts of needles .. which was until near Easter, which was in late March that year. :))
johobbit

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Dec 27, 2014 6:09 pm

I got an Advent calendar as a Christmas present this year. And not just any advent calendar but I handmade cross-stitched one done my marvelous sister. My parents' helped with some of the finishing touches. They managed to do it right in front of me and I had no idea it was for me. Sheesh, I was falling down on the job. It is a calendar based on the nativity and actually goes through the 25th. It is definitely not tacky. The trick will be to remember to put the ornaments on it each day next year... I often get behind in my decorating. :ymblushing: Maybe I'll take some pictures and post them.
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby johobbit » Jan 07, 2015 7:09 pm

That sounds amazing, Twig's. I would love to see a photo! :)

We took our decorations down a few days ago, but our tree is still up. It's hardly dropping needles and still looks so pretty and cozy on these blustery winter nights, so we may leave it up for awhile yet. And we always like to place it in the front room so passersby can enjoy its warm glow too.

Long ago I learned not to pack Christmas decorations in cardboard boxes, because over the years little critters *coughmicecough* nibbled away at things. Eventually I purchased totes, which seal well (yay!) and prevent any destructive behaviour.
:p
johobbit

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jan 18, 2015 7:48 pm

Here is the picture :D (click to see larger) Image

All of our stuff is in totes because we had problems with cockroaches.
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby johobbit » Jan 19, 2015 8:48 am

That is so sweet. And well done! What a very special gift. :D

We finally un-decorated our Christmas tree last week. Even though the tree was still drinking a wee bit of water, it was becoming awfully brittle, and has definitely lost its fresh perkiness. We will burn it (by bits and pieces) in the fire pit this summer. :)

So, everything is back to non-Christmas-y now. However, I do leave my snowmen and snow decorations up all year, just to remind me to hang in there when summer reaches hot and humid temps. :p ;))
johobbit